Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Films you have seen at the cinema 2024

I think you started with his best film tbh (while I do still think Satantango is worth a go). The Man From London is also a test of patience.

Reactions: Sue
I haven’t seen anything by this director but I do recall watching an interview with Jane Schroenbun, director of I Saw The Tv glow who said “I watch Bela Tarr films when I have the flu” which seems an erm interesting endorsement

Last edited:
Werckmeister Harmonies is the Tarr film I would warmly recommend. It is worth the effort, and it isn't really that much effort compared to, say, Turin Horse. It's a film that has really stayed with me.

Sue's reaction to Turin Horse is entirely understandable tbh. If you start with that, you'll probably end with that as well. It has also kind of stayed with me, mind.

Only thing I would say about Bela Tarr's films is that you may sometimes need to sleep on them to properly gauge what you think. It is possible Sue may wake up tomorrow feeling even angrier about sitting through Turin Horse than she does now. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Sue
Werckmeister Harmonies is the Tarr film I would warmly recommend. It is worth the effort, and it isn't really that much effort compared to, say, Turin Horse. It's a film that has really stayed with me.

Sue's reaction to Turin Horse is entirely understandable tbh. If you start with that, you'll probably end with that as well. It has also kind of stayed with me, mind.

Only thing I would say about Bela Tarr's films is that you may sometimes need to sleep on them to properly gauge what you think. It is possible Sue may wake up tomorrow feeling even angrier about sitting through Turin Horse than she does now. ;)
2.5 hours of my life I'll never get back. :mad:

Only the river flows - wet Chinese neo-noir set in the mid 90s, an original idea for a plot as a cop with a challenging home life :hmm: investigates a murder. Still some traces of revolutionary niceties “hello comrade detective” etc. Didn’t get that much from this, but quite enjoyed the scenes where he scolded his junior colleague.

Cinema Paradiso - I had watched the directors cut with my ex some years ago, it was one of her favourite films. So interesting to rewatch the shorter international cut at the local arts centre tonight which I thought was better. Don’t care much for the scenes when the protagonist is a teenager in love, but the first hour or so with the instinctive acting of the lad playing young Toto are a joy. And of course a brilliant Morricone score.

Last edited:
Only the River Flows. I think I liked this more than Elpenor did. The China in the 90s stuff was interesting and the cinematography was v good I thought.

Kneecap. The dubious origin story of an Irish language rap group. Fun (if not exactly subtle).

The Cockettes. Documentary about an LSD-fueled group of San Francisco dragged-up hippy performers from the late 60s/early 70s. Really enjoyed this -- very funny, with lots of contemporary photos and footage and interviews with some of the surviving members. Also interesting stuff about communes in SF at that time. The director was there in person and did a great Q&A.

Lee

at first glance a fairly generic biopic - with flashbacks naturally - of Lee Miller, an American photographer who fights to be the only female war correspondent during the invasion of Normandy and beyond. With that said it has some interesting things to say about the female experience of war, and Kate Winslet gives an enjoyable and spirited performance as the hard drinking Miller that the academy voters will probably like.

On balance more of a Woolton pie with
rare moments of fillet steak

Last edited:
Trap - I watched this because the trailer makes it look like entertaining dumb fun. Unfortunately, whilst is was indeed dumb (indeed, much dumber than even the trailer would suggest), it was not as fun as I'd hoped. The first half - set at a pop concert - is entertaining enough and the concert itself is really well done, it feels authentic. But it all goes south after the concert. The 'plot' (or lack thereof), the dialogue and the set pieces (other than the concert itself) are just terrible. Feels like its written by 13 year olds who've done no research into what they're writing about.

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

Loved it. The plot’s a bit thin but it’s a big old fun romp and the performances are great. Michael Keaton is terrific.

Alien Romulus.

Lots of fan-service, but an enjoyable watch. Somewhere inbetween the first two classics, and all the other dross.

Went to see Betelgeuse Betelgeuse the other day. I wouldn't recommend it because, even as fans of the original, we found it disappointing.

Starve Acre has all the makings of a decent folk horror, in fact its got the makings of half a dozen.

Which is kind of the problem really, it does nothing you've not seen before and it does it competently but not well. The parents losing a child is fairly common cliche by now and we get that over with promptly and discreetly. The couple not talking to each other in grief is again a well worn pathway as are the sins of the Father.

The hare slowly pulling itself together by flesh and sinew is probably the most interesting part of the film, theres a level of viscreal reality in there that does work well. There are some good performances from Morfydd Clark and Sean Gilder but the material they are working with isn't really there. Matt Smith slowly starts to dominate the screentime over the film and he's decent enough but let down by an accent that slips a bit to often.

The film is let down by its reluctance to go either fully weird and surreal or to go full exposition. If the film had been brave enough for Matt Smith to brain a different person in the last five minutes we might have got somewhere interesting.

We learn a few hints about Richards (Matt Smiths) father in dribs and drabs but much of the early work and explanation is blink and you'll miss it hand written text from a journal before we get a kind of rushed explanation towards the end of a film... from one character who reads a large journal front to back and then explains things in seemingly five minutes.

Theres no strange dreams or imagery similar to In The Earth or even the bizaree surrealness of the original Wicker Man. Only Matt Smith deals with the oddity of a skeleton clothing itself and even the effects of this transition are done very down to earth and solidly. This again is under examined, he does seem to struggle with explaining it to himself as he's the solidly rational one in the house but does he ever mention it to his wife? Does he struggle with strange dreams due to it? No, he leaves it gestating overnight in a box after taking measurements.

The characters all fully ramp up and jump aboard the Jack/Hare train in a sudden about face towards the end of the run time and we suddenly discover the kindly neighbours aren't kindly at all (also a well worn cliche).

Overall theres moments there where the film is interesting but the characters are a mix of the unfleshed out and the underused, we don't really see Richard and Juliettes child become ensared by Jack before he exits the film, we don't really get to know Juliette well at all aside from her grief, Harrie is there solely to provide some sort of straight man to the rapidly detoriating couple and an extra body. Mrs Forde drifts in and is gone in a breeze before a brief cameo in the finale, Steven is briefly in and out as both a friend and usurper of Richards position but its barely fleshed out, mostly as Richard spends most of the film digging a hole in his back garden. Gordon has probably the most impact in the film, striding in to chivvy characters along and keep the plot moving.

The hare is going to provoke a lot of mixed feelings, once its up and about it moves in a sort of stop motion jerking way that the director says is inspired by stop motion (particularly the Czech version of Alice in Wonderland) - mostly however the hare just stands around, staring, looking, and finally bidding the characters murder people. Its supposed to look unsettling and eerie but mostly it just looks uncanny valley.

Is it worth watching? One for a quiet night in, you won't miss anything if you catch it on Netflix instead of the cinema. Just don't expect it to blow you away.

Last edited:
Loved it. The plot’s a bit thin but it’s a big old fun romp and the performances are great. Michael Keaton is terrific.

Agreed - went with the fam on Saturday night. Was great fun - Michael Keaton was indeed on fine form - loved Willem Dafoe's character too....

Seems to have panned by the critics - but boo hiss to them - we all really enjoyed it....

Back
Top Bottom