Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

SUBTITLES we have KNOWN and LOVED

Anime has some classics

View attachment 428713

While in anime subs it isn't that unusual for some words to be left untranslated and instead this is a famously bad example of this that has become a meme.
keikaku doori (計画通り) is something you do hear a fair bit in anime so I almost get why it was included but I have no idea why it was cut in half.
Most untranslated stuff is specific stuff like name suffixes or niche greetings.
I see weird stuff all the time, but I'm always truly impressed by the people who go to the effort of superimposing translations on top of text in the animation itself. It's way above and beyond what I'd expect. And I don't just mean like the name of a supermarket or something. It's the ones where the menu in the restaurant is barely in shot and has utterly nothing to do with the scene at all and someone's bothered to translate every item on the menu for you.

I see weird stuff all the time, but I'm always truly impressed by the people who go to the effort of superimposing translations on top of text in the animation itself. It's way above and beyond what I'd expect. And I don't just mean like the name of a supermarket or something. It's the ones where the menu in the restaurant is barely in shot and has utterly nothing to do with the scene at all and someone's bothered to translate every item on the menu for you.
Fansubs can go really all out.

I remember watching an anime that was so full of background jokes (notes on the chalkboard etc) the subbers released a separate downloadable guide for each episode.

A clip to highlight what I mean.

Just saw this fine example of machine-translated fansubs 🤣

6G8odiQ.jpg

Commentary subtitles on BBC1 for the Netherlands vs France match just read:

I CAME OFF SIMON SAYS

I have no idea what the commentator said, but I am fairly certain that the above is highly unlikely to be accurate.

In the Belgium vs Romania match currently ongoing, Dragus got subtitled as Drug Issues 🤣

Back
Top Bottom