Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Has the Queen died?

Apparently the ridiculous kissing hands thing to appoint the next PM thing is going to involve everyone travelling to Balmoral because she's not up to travel.
Kissing hands? Wtf? :D Does she pin a "hand of the king" badge on them GOT style? :hmm:

I'm pretty sure that if Brenda pops her clogs in the next couple of weeks there is nowhere on the surface of the planet where it will not be news
I heard about phil the greek popping his clogs from a bbc news app alert. Pretty sure that will be how i hear about the queens death when it finally happens. Unless i happen to be watching tv at the time. I will be amazed if its from this thread.

The moment she dies, everyone has to shout "Long Live The King" as if we'd always had a king.
She will be the "late" queen.
I remember that from my great-aunts talking about the late king - George VI - but also the late queen, who was Queen Mary.
Not to be confused with a tory politician.

I remember that from my great-aunts talking about the late king - George VI - but also the late queen, who was Queen Mary.

for about a year 1952-53, there were three queens of england living - queen mary (george v's widow), queen elizabeth (the queen mother - george vi's widow) and queen elizabeth ii (the queen rather than a queen)

The mafia modelled themselves on royalty.
So, embarrassing.

I saw Jonathan Miller's production at the ENO of Rigoletto in 1982 in which he changed it from being about an italian prince to being about a mafioso.
It was great :)

Verdi: Rigoletto
(Jonathan Miller, ENO, 1982)
This Mafiosi Rigoletto became the template for a whole raft of similar updatings, none of which have come close to matching its sharp-eyed detail and sheer dramatic panache.
The Guardian

Rigoletto at the ENO: A look at the iconic production through the years
Jonathan Miller struck gold in 1982 when he transformed Verdi's masterpiece
Evening Standard (with photos)

Unfortunately can't find any articles from 1982.

The mafia modelled themselves on royalty.
So, embarrassing.

I saw Jonathan Miller's production at the ENO of Rigoletto in 1982 in which he changed it from being about an italian prince to being about a mafioso.
It was great :)

The Guardian

Evening Standard (with photos)

Unfortunately can't find any articles from 1982.
I saw that too! Terrific production. IIRC the Duke puts a coin in a jukebox to get La donna è mobile.

I saw that too! Terrific production. IIRC the Duke puts a coin in a jukebox to get La donna è mobile.
What I remember most was the opening scene with the bar - and, of course, that the whole production seemed to fit the plot better than the original medieval setting - which was imposed by the italian censure because of the prohibition of depicting the murder of a noble in modern times - I think I got that info from the printed programme.

Apparently the ridiculous kissing hands thing to appoint the next PM thing is going to involve everyone travelling to Balmoral because she's not up to travel.

Idle old bat, notice she can flit between Windsor, Norfolk and Scotland whenever she wants.

She is the boss. The UK is still ruled by the aristocrats who go to the same schools, parties, weekend country houses and so. Their is a loyalty to the crown there which the government doesn't get.
Every week Truss will have to visit the head mistress to give a report and get instructions.
Some cabinet ministers and others will be made members of the Privy Council, whether they like it or not.
There, also secrecy rules:
You do swear by Almighty God to be a true and faithful Servant unto the Queen's Majesty, as one of Her Majesty's Privy Council.
You will not know or understand of any manner of thing to be attempted, done, or spoken against Her Majesty's Person, Honour, Crown, or Dignity Royal, but you will lett and withstand the same to the uttermost of your Power, and either cause it to be revealed to Her Majesty Herself, or to such of Her Privy Council as shall advertise Her Majesty of the same.
You will, in all things to be moved, treated, and debated in Council, faithfully and truly declare your Mind and Opinion, according to your Heart and Conscience; and will keep secret all Matters committed and revealed unto you, or that shall be treated of secretly in Council.
And if any of the said Treaties or Counsels shall touch any of the Counsellors, you will not reveal it unto him, but will keep the same until such time as, by the Consent of Her Majesty, or of the Council, Publication shall be made thereof.
You will to your uttermost bear Faith and Allegiance unto the Queen's Majesty; and will assist and defend all Jurisdictions, Pre-eminences, and Authorities, granted to Her Majesty, and annexed to the Crown by Acts of Parliament, or otherwise, against all Foreign Princes, Persons, Prelates, States, or Potentates.
And generally in all things you will do as a faithful and true Servant ought to do to Her Majesty.
So help you God
wiki
Tony Benn didn't want to be a member, but was told he had no choice. He then said that he refused to take the oath, but was told he didn't have to - he was still bound by it - as if he had taken it.

The Privy Council certainy has powers, which are played down, but the most important matter is the power or function of people who are members of it.

The powers and responsibilty lie with them.

Total deniablity, discretion - or if you wish, all liabilities to the state have been reduced to a minimum. Everything is done as if it were the initiative of someone else.

Good material for conspiracy theorists, of course.

But the power is undeniable as is shown by important state institutions' independence of the government - mainly those of the defence of the realm - surprise, surprise :)

Parliament is deemed independent in the Bill of Rights.
"Deemed" for the sake of liability.

But, when necessary, the monarch can flex its muscles. Thus the beginning of the "special relationship" with the USA can be traced back to the Trent Affair when both the UK and USA governments were prepared to goto war in 1861 - but then Prince Albert, stepped in...
Then came the far-sighted action of Prince Albert. It will be remembered that he was not only the devoted husband of the Queen, but one of her most trusted counsellors. He examined the somewhat peremptory dispatch which the British government had prepared to send to the United States. His mind was impressed with the warlike nature of the crisis, and perhaps also with the horror of shedding more fraternal blood than was already being poured out in our then divided but now happily united country¹. He suggested in a letter which he prepared for the Queen the intimation of a belief in the good intentions of the United States Government ; that she would have liked to see an expression of a hope that the Federal naval officer had acted without authority, but that if he had acted with it he must have misapprehended his instructions, and that it was believed that after due consideration the United States would spontaneously surrender the prisoners and make a suitable apology for the breach of international law that had been committed.

We can see now the gracious Prince, on the last working morning of his life, an invalid, scarcely able to hold his pen, writing his kindly comment on the draft and submitting it to the Queen for her approval. Queen Victoria, always a friend of the American people, makes a few slight changes in the text before it is sent to the government. The ideas which are contained in the draft are accepted in the right spirit by Lord Palmerston, the Prime Minister, and incorporated in a new dispatch which is prepared by Lord Russell, the Minister of Foreign Affairs. The dispatch is delivered in Washington by Lord Lyons, the British Minister there, whose forbearance up to that time has saved trouble, and whose courtesy now smooths the way for Mr. Seward, the American Secretary of State. President Lincoln and his Cabinet meet, and the case is laid before them. The President is a true lover of peace. Up to this time he has been publicly non-committal, but he is one of a few Federal leaders who think that a mistake has been made. The decision is reached that in accordance with long-established American views on the points of law raised the captives should be surrendered.

The Century of Anglo-American Peace

[1] or concerned about the safety of crown assets in then British North America (later becoming the kingdom Canada)

The lazy arsehole can't be bothered to head back to Buck House to anoint Truss, "a break with tradition" apparently.

Mogg must spitting feathers at this breaking of protocol, and will surely call for her resignation soon.

Back
Top Bottom