Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hammersmith Bridge closed to motor vehicles "indefinitely"

View attachment 240520More images here:
That's a very clever idea.

COWI have a wealth of bridge experience, so while it looks very slender, I wouldn't doubt their design.
I like how they've put cyclists on the bottom deck, in case the top deck collapses.

As long as it isn't too temporary (I know the design allows for access for workers to repair the existing structure but no one has any dough at the moment). I'm getting images of another lovely "temporary" bridge not too far away...

06.jpg

I remember my mum telling me about how this was temporary in the mid-70's, then in the 90's when I was driving I always enjoyed seeing just how fast I could drive over it. And it's still there 😎

Its like some guys just put a scaffold up and left it there. Every time I drive over it I half expect it to collapse, its a thrilling ride.

I remember my mum telling me about how this was temporary in the mid-70's, then in the 90's when I was driving I always enjoyed seeing just how fast I could drive over it. And it's still there 😎
I've been here more than twenty-five years, and only recently I found myself driving on it. It was fun.

Whenever I see it I think of my Scalextric sets when I was a wee lad.

As long as it isn't too temporary (I know the design allows for access for workers to repair the existing structure but no one has any dough at the moment). I'm getting images of another lovely "temporary" bridge not too far away...

06.jpg
Nowt wrong with that - it does the job well enough by the looks of it. It'd probably be pretty cheap to build one of those across the river so the knackered old bridge could be demolished.

Nowt wrong with that - it does the job well enough by the looks of it. It'd probably be pretty cheap to build one of those across the river so the knackered old bridge could be demolished.

The company that built the Hogarth Roundabout temporary bridge has submitted plans for a temporary bridge to go by the side of Hammersmith Bridge whilst they fix it. But afaik they are being ignored.

Well, its an eyesore. It only goes one way. It is strictly weight limited and is costing increasing amounts of money to maintain. Thinking about it there quite a lot wrong with it but it is fun to drive over.

Here's an unexpected idea:

1606755844198.png

" Plans have been shown off that could reopen the Hammersmith Bridge, by slotting in a temporary double-decker road inside the existing structure.

Developed by the engineers COWI and architects, Foster + Partners, the idea would be to get the closed bridge open again for traffic, while supporting the bridge during renovation works.

The lower deck would be for pedestrians and cyclists, while an upper deck may be able to carry cars, although that’s not confirmed at the moment. The proposals would also need long approach ramps for the motor vehicles to be able to rise up from street level to the upper deck. The argument for putting the road vehicles above seems to be so that the pedestrian area can also be reused in sections for the bridge repair works to be carried out.

There would be no load added to the existing bridge deck which could then be removed in stages and taken away for repair. They suggest that removal and repair is quicker and cheaper than trying to repair broken parts on site.

Initial estimates suggest the temporary crossing would allow the strengthening and stabilisation works to the bridge to be completed at a cost lower than the current £141million estimate."

As an aside, how the fuck can a bridge repair cost £141 million?

And I'd definitely get a ride on this if it happens:

"In the meantime, they are pushing ahead with plans for a temporary ferry to restore pedestrian and cyclist access across the Thames. The owner of a nearby pier at Harrods Wharf has offered it free of charge to the council to use for a ferry service."

A ferry is being proposed!

1612178381413.png

Plans to open up a disused wharf on the south side of the Thames could provide space for a passenger ferry until the Hammersmith bridge is repaired.

The wharf sits in front of the former Harrod’s buildings in Barnes, and is bought by Jamie Waller last year for an estimated £275,000. He has now submitted a planning application to refurbish the wharf for the temporary bridge replacement ferry service. If it opens, then the ferry would shuttle between the old Harrods Furniture Depository wharf on the south side and possibly to the existing landing wharf on the north side in Fulham Reach.

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/harrod-wharf-02.jpg

Back
Top Bottom