Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hammersmith Bridge closed to motor vehicles "indefinitely"

We could also put up a cable car like the one by The Dome, seeing how cheap to build and successful and busy that one is...
Or just lay some planks across the river - that should be sufficient for people and vehicles to cross. All you'd need is some stout walls on each riverbank, and someone at each end to make sure the plank doesn't slip off the wall.

1606408664011.pngMore images here:
That's a very clever idea.

COWI have a wealth of bridge experience, so while it looks very slender, I wouldn't doubt their design.

An innovative temporary solution is seemingly on the horizon. Richmond Council welcomes proposed new solution for Hammersmith Bridge - London Borough of Richmond upon Thames

Looks good but...after you.
That looks very intriguing. If the concept drawing is in any way accurate, how are they going to manage to a) build the temporary double decker bridge without endangering the extremely fragile existing bridge, and b) avoid adding to the load of the existing structure?

ETA Crispy posted it while I was typing...

That looks very intriguing. If the concept drawing is in any way accurate, how are they going to manage to a) build the temporary double decker bridge without endangering the extremely fragile existing bridge, and b) avoid adding to the load of the existing structure?

Presumably the load will be distributed down the existing piers. Its the deck itself which is the problem I believe.

If I understand the images correctly, the two halves of the truss bridge would be assembled on the approach roads, then slid out till they meet in the middle.
1606409177606.png

Are they cantilevering then? That would be a design and a half?
They'd be supporting only themselves during the cantilever part of the installation.
(And I bet the road surfaces etc. would be installed afterward)
Think of it like the boom of a tower crane.

As long as it isn't too temporary (I know the design allows for access for workers to repair the existing structure but no one has any dough at the moment). I'm getting images of another lovely "temporary" bridge not too far away...

06.jpg

Back
Top Bottom