Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Great Pottery Throwdown

Never seen this before. Is it always like that? That was amazing.
It's rarely as life affirming as this episode, but it really is one of the most charming of the reality shows. The first season was finding its feet so if it's still out there it doesn't quite work, everything else is charming. "Bake Off" has turned quite typically contrived, something that Pottery has yet to do.

I recorded it but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I already know who won because of Twitter :rolleyes: but tbh it was who I was expecting to win anyway so not too much of a spoiler!

We watched the final two episodes, and my GF was crying again in the catch-up part, with everyone doing so well in their post-GPT lives. Good to see Tom again too!

Very worthy winner, but the others did some amazing work too. Some of the last challenges were really fucking challenging - they were put through the wringer! AJ actually kinda slipped in quality a little in the final, IMO - the totem pole was a little too simple, and they didn't do well at all in the technical challenge - so it did start to look like Christine might grab it after all, and I'd have been fine with that. But it was a fair result.

Anna, the NI woman, is just so fucking likeable. But she confounded my expectations - I pictured her with a big family that she makes loads of roast dinners for, and actually she's a haphazard, independent world traveller.

I wanted Christine to win, because I think she's grown and improved so much. Christine is very talented, I loved her fairy tea set and raku, but she's much more hit and miss, whereas AJ was more consistent. I think any of them could have won it, it was so close, the quality was so good all round. There's an element of luck in that firing's in the lap of the kiln gods, so anything can - and sometimes does - go wrong. But there were no disasters this week, they all did very well.

Really wasn’t a surprise who won, AJ knocked it out of park each week.

Anna, the NI woman, is just so fucking likeable. But she confounded my expectations - I pictured her with a big family that she makes loads of roast dinners for, and actually she's a haphazard, independent world traveller.

Yeah that’s perfect summary of her, she’s so lovely

It's such a sweet programme. Where am I gonna get my TV kindness-fix now?

I agree it was really close between the final three. But AJ deserved it - they were so consistently good throughout. What a sweetheart as well. Actually all of them are lovely.

It's like a warm hug, that programme. It shows the best of humanity :D :)

The Storm Vixen has been in the UAE for the last week. I just watched it with her now. I really agree with the above comments. AJ was the best, but I would have been happy for any of them to win.
Throwdown is such a joyous example of individual expression and togetherness.

The odd thing whenever an episode is on, I'm sure someone starts to chop onions or is spreading dust about.

I just earlier saw the woman from maybe last years series who made a teapot or cheese dish with a dog head in screwfix. I remembered her and that piece as my dog reacted to ot on the telly. Also have been going to pottery class. It’s not as easy as it looks and I am hopelessly cack handed.

Hm, I prefer the usual raku style they do. With the unexpected colours and random stuff thrown in the box. But yes, it is exciting!

As ever, they're all really growing on me. Even George, I liked his raku best. Boring man number 2, the one who hasn't yet won anything, not so much but I don't actively dislike him. What a lovely show, celebrating people's oddnesses :) <3

Correct decision for who to send out in raku week - no other decision to be made, really - even though she is lovely, totally lives up to her name. She was good other weeks, but this week everything just went totally wrong.

The rest of them did amazingly well with tricky tasks, and it was lovely to see a former contestant on who's now making a living as a ceramicist. I mean, the aim isn't to try and change jobs - for most of them anyway - but it must be encouraging to see that it can happen.

Really wish my body would cooperate with entering as a contestant, but it's just not going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom