Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Great Pottery Throwdown

They were superb weren't they! And I think AJ's reinterpreting of the traditional concept was fabulous.

Best round of this season so far - they all did well really. Cellan's were much too small to really be gnomes, it was fair to knock him out, but they were still great.

This week I was kinda disappointed with most of the 60s designs. I think it shows how much the glaze is an important feature, not just the throwing.

AJ seems to be smashing it this year. Glad Jenny finally stood out though.

Sorry for Nick but his heart wasn't in this round for some reason and it showed. Pity as he's probably the most creative of the group.

Best round of this season so far - they all did well really. Cellan's were much too small to really be gnomes, it was fair to knock him out, but they were still great.

This week I was kinda disappointed with most of the 60s designs. I think it shows how much the glaze is an important feature, not just the throwing.

Yeah if you fuck up the glaze you can't recover. The time limits and unfamiliarity with the glaze are what throw me with the show. Not enough making time or drying sometimes and a new glaze needs testing first before you know what it can do.

AJ seems to be smashing it this year. Glad Jenny finally stood out though.

Sorry for Nick but his heart wasn't in this round for some reason and it showed. Pity as he's probably the most creative of the group.

Yeah if you fuck up the glaze you can't recover. The time limits and unfamiliarity with the glaze are what throw me with the show. Not enough making time or drying sometimes and a new glaze needs testing first before you know what it can do.

I used to do pottery a fair bit and the glaze was the bit that was the easiest to fuck up even when it wasn't a complicated glaze, so yeah, the show possibly focuses too much on the actual making part.

It does still make me wish I could do pottery again, though - there isn't a session I can really get to round here (there are lots, just not ones I can do).

I used to do pottery a fair bit and the glaze was the bit that was the easiest to fuck up even when it wasn't a complicated glaze, so yeah, the show possibly focuses too much on the actual making part.

It does still make me wish I could do pottery again, though - there isn't a session I can really get to round here (there are lots, just not ones I can do).

Glazing still fills me with absolute terror when I do it.

I always watch on All4 and every single time when they show the drawings my tv starts buffering, then fine, then the next drawing and buffering again. every single time. Weird.

I wasn't all that taken with any of the gnomes, tbh. AJs were neat and with good solid colour and glaze though.

Just watched the 60s one and thought the potter of the week was well deserved. Lovely. I would genuinely like to own that. AJs was also excellent. I find it a bit frustrating with all of these type of programmes that there has to be a rush to do things. I'd like to see them have the chance to show their best, rather than have an uneven colour or glaze or whatever just because they ran out of time.

Well deserved potter of the week, Jenny - those 60s pots were just incredible.

AJ's 60s pots were great too - and their otter this week was phenomenal. I think they're gonna win the competition, though Jenny is a close contender too. Her angelfish was remarkable.

I love this programme. Everyone really is so sweet.

Someone shared a video on Twitter of him doing a spoof of Adele's Rolling in the Deep and I Googled and clicked and went down a bit of an internet rabbit hole, finding out he'd been in a punk band and about his pottery - I came to the Throw Down via the Sewing Bee and Project Runway, etc., I like the crafty competition shows.

And found out about the word range mentioned in that article and I bought a mug with my name on it.

You know I wasn't all that keen on the texture of AJ's otter, I thought they could have made it more realistic with a smaller scratch. Thought the angler fish was a lot better!
I like the octopus, I thought the otter and angler fish were better, but I really liked the octopus but it did really meet the brief.

I think the otter and fish were good but if they didn’t think christines matched the brief based on proportions and realism then neither did they.

I’d have said the older ladies croc was the best.

Someone shared a video on Twitter of him doing a spoof of Adele's Rolling in the Deep and I Googled and clicked and went down a bit of an internet rabbit hole, finding out he'd been in a punk band and about his pottery - I came to the Throw Down via the Sewing Bee and Project Runway, etc., I like the crafty competition shows.

And found out about the word range mentioned in that article and I bought a mug with my name on it.

Ooh. His Hokolo ones are really nice

I thought jenny’s angler fish was best. Her scraffito was fabulous and she had thought about where the flex would go. Plus the light was integral to her animal. AJ’s otter face wasn’t great.

Sad to see Tom go. I think if he’d done more scraffito he would have been saved over Christine.

Yes I think AJ's otter wasn't really all that in comparison to the crocodile, the angler fish or Tom's octopus (I can't believe they let him go in favour of Christine tbh) but the weird animal jug set was really really good.

I thought jenny’s angler fish was best. Her scraffito was fabulous and she had thought about where the flex would go. Plus the light was integral to her animal. AJ’s otter face wasn’t great.

Sad to see Tom go. I think if he’d done more scraffito he would have been saved over Christine.

Sgraffito. Just correcting you because it's a handy Scrabble word.

It was right that Tom went, sadly - loved his octopus, but he wasn't sticking to the brief, and sgraffito is hard, so if you don't do enough of it then you haven't proven you can do it, if that makes sense.

Jenny's definitely edging up on AJ as a potential winner. AJ I think could have a real career as a pottery designer - there's a definite personal style there that is really likeable.

Yes AJ really has a very clear style which is amazing in someone so young

and thank you re sgraffito. I didn’t think it looked right. I don’t think I’ve ever made a 9 letter word!

Yes AJ really has a very clear style which is amazing in someone so young

and thank you re sgraffito. I didn’t think it looked right. I don’t think I’ve ever made a 9 letter word!

AJ's style reminds me a lot of my daughter's style, both anime-influenced but with input from many different areas of art. My J spent her childhood basically drawing as a reflex to any new situation she was in, and I bet AJ did the same.

Back
Top Bottom