Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Golf. Do you hate it?

Do you hate golf?

• Total voters
Spotted this top piece of utter bellendry on the bbc website this morning:

"Veteran BBC golf commentator Peter Alliss said women who want to play at Muirfield should "marry a member" in order to play.

He also said he had spoken to the wives of Muirfield members and claimed there was "a look of horror" on their faces when he suggested they might be able to become members in their own right.

He reckoned they did not want to become members because they would have to start paying for something they currently got for free.

"The women who are there as wives of husbands, they get all the facilities," he told BBC Radio 5 live. "If somebody wants to join, well you'd better get married to somebody who's a member."

Alliss, 85, said he understood why members had failed to vote in large enough numbers to overturn the ban on women members.

"Clubs were formed years ago by people of like spirit - doctors, lawyers, accountants, bakers, butchers - and they joined in like spirit to talk amongst themselves and do whatever," he said.

"I want to join the Women's Voluntary Service, but unless I have pieces snipped away from my whatever, I'm not going to be able to get in."

Nobhead.

I've got a job where a lot of people play golf. I've never played a game of golf in my life.

When I finally stop working, I'm looking forward to being able to say: "I went the whole time, and didn't play one single game of golf." I will consider it a small but meaningful [non]achievement.

A while ago, I was at a private golf club, picking up someone who was working there. While I was waiting, I was looking at the photos and trophies. At some point, I made an imaginary golf swing. Like air guitar, but air golf.

Some golfer saw me, and made a jovial joking comment.

I thought, 'Now I'm joking with fucking golfers. I'm already into this too deep for my liking."

Driving ranges are different, though. I've been to driving ranges. It's fun to whack a ball. If you do it right, it makes a satisfying sound. A weird rubber/plastic/metal impact sound.

I even bought a driver at Walmart for $7. It had a big head, and was kind of wobbly.

So I'm at a driving range, and this guy compliments me on one of my hits, and tells me about his clubs. They even have special names, and they cost a fuckload of money. But he couldn't drive a ball as far as I could.

He asks me what brand club I use. I say: "I don't know what brand it is - I got it at Walmart, and it cost me $7."

Last edited:
That really was something special - the greatest final round in Open, or majors, history. The lowest ever winning score, the winning score equaling the best ever round in a major, and the top two players obliterating the rest of the field. Two great sportsmen at the top of their game, going head to head and giving everything. Sadly one of them had to lose, but I'm pleased Stenson won as he's been a top player for years and never managed to win a major, and better still that it didn't go to a playoff. Commiserations to Mickleson, but he already has an Open (and a few other majors) and there's no disgrace to lose like he did today. Incredible stuff.

I just spent the whole weekend, 2 twelve hour shifts, with a colleague who has two topics of conversation, conspiracy theories and golf. By the end I was asking him to tell me about flight 93 again.

What was stunning about it? Let me guess...did he keep hitting the ball until it went into the hole? And then he did it again, and again?

What a star!
According to my colleague it was truly crazy unbelievable stuff. But when he explained further it turned out that they had in fact been hitting little balls repeatedly with sticks until they went into holes. He'd made it sound like they'd successfully fought off an alien invasion or had an orgy on the course or something.

Last edited:
Sergio finally wins a major, great final day, some stunning golf :cool:

Unlucky for Rose but at least he's already got one.

Back in the village Rose and I grew up in. (vaguely knew him). All the golf bores were aghast at being kicked out the pub at normal time, with him being so close to not winning a new coat.

It's almost like the golf we know is just a faint farcical memory of real golf, which involved tactical play such as merping your shots near the bunkers forcing your opponents to gramble towards the flag from outwith the sharm line before you could lay the green with a cunning flip-back or counter-shot. It's so sad that get-it-in-the-hole is all that survives of what was once a great game.

Yep I hate it too.

I think my opinion was formed from a very early age by having a golf enthusiastic granddad who tried to instil a love of the game in me from an early age (golf lessons, golf club for christmas etc). Meanwhile I wasn't allowed to wear or be inside his clubhouse if I had jeans on like a proper Alan Partidge country club situation. I sided against the whole established culture of it then like my Dad and have never once regretted it.

My grandad is in his mid 80s now with memory issues, and I go and look after him. The one good thing about golf is I can stick it on telly in the evening where it'll be live from America and it lasts like 4 or 5 hours. The next day, they'll repeat the whole thing on Sky Sports 4 or something and he'll have forgotten he's already watched it. Keeps him entertained for hours.

What was stunning about it? Let me guess...did he keep hitting the ball until it went into the hole? And then he did it again, and again?

What a star!

You're familiar with another sport called 'football' of course? I assume you feel the same about that, given the basic 'goal' is the same? Perhaps you simply don't like sport in general?

You're familiar with another sport called 'football' of course? I assume you feel the same about that, given the basic 'goal' is the same? Perhaps you simply don't like sport in general?

With football you have to work with your team mates against the other team to score a goal.

Imagine how boring football would be with only one team with one player in it.

Back
Top Bottom