Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Global financial system implosion begins

In this lecture, Prof. Wolff will discuss the following:
1. US Capitalism’s Public Health Disaster: Where Blame Belongs
2. Trying to Shift Blame to Mandates: Desperate Libertarianism
3. Covid, Inflation,“Broken Supply Chains” = Systemic Crisis

OK so to respond to COVID the world should have instituted a globally planned ecomony under a single authoritarian communist state or something. Guy's a nutter.

HK land will always be in demand just cos it’s HK , so if there is an asset grab going on , the it’s HK collateral pledge will be the first to go. What’s left after that ,outside the big handful of cities, wiil look like Jaywick in a few years. No creditor with any sense wants to be scrabbling amongst the leftovers. EG could implode very quickly as their quality assets go off the list.

Nah more China was looking to Nationalise Evergrande and renegotiat with overseas intrests from consolidated position Oaktree managed to get markers down on a couple (so far) Venice Suzhou too) causing pause for thought. But it not just Chinese construction this sends riipples into Belt and Road, Swift vs crypto and LGIV's and LGIV's ain't just green waste bins thats health, education ...And Goldnan's is on record flagging LGIV's at over 8 trillion. 2008 was 5 trillion US Federal spending is currently 6.8

Last edited:
I wonder what effect all these tech company share price crashes might have. Facebook is the latest to drop over 20% in overnight trading, following PayPal yesterday. Spotify is doing the same. All this is against a backdrop of further big drops since the start of January. Netflix has lost almost 40% this year.

In and of itself, this is just the ups and downs of shares. However, we saw in 2008 how fragile the system can be — losses in one place can contaminate other balance sheets. These companies losing heavy valuation are huge parts of the stockmarket. If it’s protracted enough, it could cause other companies to look shakier. It depends who owns the shares, I guess.

Not sure who is this bloke is, but doesn't matter as its more him reading out what George Soros has said and I do know who he is. Quite ironic his 2008 book on the credit crisis (which wasn't actually that insightful about 2008 pretty much said Invest China to avoid further fallout from 2008 crash.

One thing on Evergrande suppliers ....Under Chinese system, when this sort of collapse happens what the suppliers are required to do is give the failling company is basically keep supplying for a year on tick. That year is pretty much up

Hmm... Wonder if it's time to shift the pension out of equities and park it in something else. Tricky call with rising inflation.

Hmm... Wonder if it's time to shift the pension out of equities and park it in something else. Tricky call with rising inflation.

Depends when you plan on retiring. The idea is to only keep such a proportion of it in equities that whatever happens to markets at any point in time won't affect your retirement plans.

Depends when you plan on retiring. The idea is to only keep such a proportion of it in equities that whatever happens to markets at any point in time won't affect your retirement plans.
Yeah I know the orthodoxy. But I did well by shifting out of equities in early 2019, and buying back in after the 2020 crash. It might have bought me a couple of years of pension.

Yeah I know the orthodoxy. But I did well by shifting out of equities in early 2019, and buying back in after the 2020 crash. It might have bought me a couple of years of pension.

You could easily loose a couple of years pension by sitting out waiting for a crash that doesn't come until after you've bought back in. Markets go up more than down, and crashes of sufficient magnitude to make a decent profit happen infrequently. And each one is different so that buying back in at the correct moment is down to luck.

This is why it makes sense to have a balanced portfolio that you keep fully invested - you can than benefit from rising markets but also benefit from crashes by re-balancing to maintain your equity allocation. You get the best of both worlds without taking on the risk of fucking it up by trying to second-guess global stock markets, which for a lone amateur sitting at home vs supercomputers and hedge funds is like playing roulette.

You could easily loose a couple of years pension by sitting out waiting for a crash that doesn't come until after you've bought back in. Markets go up more than down, and crashes of sufficient magnitude to make a decent profit happen infrequently. And each one is different so that buying back in at the correct moment is down to luck.

This is why it makes sense to have a balanced portfolio that you keep fully invested - you can than benefit from rising markets but also benefit from crashes by re-balancing to maintain your equity allocation. You get the best of both worlds without taking on the risk of fucking it up by trying to second-guess global stock markets, which for a lone amateur sitting at home vs supercomputers and hedge funds is like playing roulette.
Yes yes, I know the orthodoxy. And as for roulette - all private sector pensions are gambling, whether you balance the portfolio or jump between high risk/gain and so called safe havens (lol to any poor bastard who's been in bonds for the last few years).

You can pretend that you are doing the best thing by putting it all in a lifestyle fund and only checking it every few years - as we are so frequently advised - but you are likely making more money for Prudential/L&G/etc than you are for yourself.

Yes yes, I know the orthodoxy. And as for roulette - all private sector pensions are gambling, whether you balance the portfolio or jump between high risk/gain and so called safe havens (lol to any poor bastard who's been in bonds for the last few years).

A balanced portfolio that remains fully invested is a bet only on global capitalism. Those are pretty comfortable odds and if they don't transpire then you'll have a lot more to worry about than not having a decent pension.

On the other hand shifting in and out of the markets is a very easy way to destroy value, and is directly analogous to roulette as the odds are against you. Most people trying to time the markets will get it wrong. The more often you do it the greater the odds of losing out.

You can pretend that you are doing the best thing by putting it all in a lifestyle fund and only checking it every few years - as we are so frequently advised - but you are likely making more money for Prudential/L&G/etc than you are for yourself.

Nonsense, try comparing fees on multi-asset tracker funds with annual growth figures.

A balanced portfolio that remains fully invested is a bet only on global capitalism. Those are pretty comfortable odds and if they don't transpire then you'll have a lot more to worry about than not having a decent pension.

On the other hand shifting in and out of the markets is a very easy way to destroy value, and is directly analogous to roulette as the odds are against you. Most people trying to time the markets will get it wrong. The more often you do it the greater the odds of losing out.

Nonsense, try comparing fees on multi-asset tracker funds with annual growth figures.
You are dead right. I posted this recently on another thread, but goes just as well on this one:

It might be fun to try and time the market if you can afford to, but if you're relying on it for future retirement plans, then it's an extremely bad idea.

Good article on it here: Timing the market

"If at the beginning of 1986 you had invested £1,000 in the FTSE 250 and left the investment alone for the next 35 years, it might have been worth £43,595 by January 2021 (bear in mind, of course, that past performance is no guarantee of future returns).

However, the outcome would have been very different if you had tried to time your entry in and out of the market.

During the same period, if you missed out on the FTSE250 index’s 30 best days the same investment might now be worth £10,627, or £32,968 less, not adjusted for the effect of charges or inflation.

Over the last 35 years your original £1,000 investment in the FTSE 250 could have made:

• 11.4% per year if you stayed invested the whole time
  • 9.5% per year if you missed the 10 best days
  • 8.1% per year if you missed the 20 best days
  • 7% per year if you missed the 30 best days
The 1.9% difference to annual returns between being invested the whole time and missing the 10 best days doesn’t seem much. But the compounding effect builds up over time, as shown in the table below. If you had invested in the FTSE 250 it could have cost you more than £19,000 during that time."

You are dead right. I posted this recently on another thread, but goes just as well on this one:

It might be fun to try and time the market if you can afford to, but if you're relying on it for future retirement plans, then it's an extremely bad idea.

Good article on it here: Timing the market

"If at the beginning of 1986 you had invested £1,000 in the FTSE 250 and left the investment alone for the next 35 years, it might have been worth £43,595 by January 2021 (bear in mind, of course, that past performance is no guarantee of future returns).

However, the outcome would have been very different if you had tried to time your entry in and out of the market.

During the same period, if you missed out on the FTSE250 index’s 30 best days the same investment might now be worth £10,627, or £32,968 less, not adjusted for the effect of charges or inflation.

Over the last 35 years your original £1,000 investment in the FTSE 250 could have made:

• 11.4% per year if you stayed invested the whole time
  • 9.5% per year if you missed the 10 best days
  • 8.1% per year if you missed the 20 best days
  • 7% per year if you missed the 30 best days
The 1.9% difference to annual returns between being invested the whole time and missing the 10 best days doesn’t seem much. But the compounding effect builds up over time, as shown in the table below. If you had invested in the FTSE 250 it could have cost you more than £19,000 during that time."
Unless it presents some countervailing sums on missing the worst 30 days, I'm not sure it's a very useful guide.

The notion that private pensions or any kind of stock market investing is "gambling" is a corrosive one and leads to many people encountering poverty in retirement that they could have easily avoided.
Yes just knuckle down and join in the system. All these people talking capitalism down are the problem.

Yes just knuckle down and join in the system. All these people talking capitalism down are the problem.

We’re talking about playing the system sensibly so you dont live in poverty vs playing the system badly to your own detriment.

Although the idea that your cunning plan of switching between a fully invested pension and cash in order to try and time the market is sticking it to the man is pretty funny, so thanks for that. :D

Last edited:
Another convention seems to be that by the time you hit retirement age you should hold 40% of your pension in bonds.. I've never quite seen the point given you could be living another 20-30 years.. I don't really see much point in holding bonds at all.. though happy to be demonstrated why I'm wrong on this..

This is the only article I've found against investing in bonds, which pretty much sums up my thinking.

The argument against holding bonds: Your portfolio is better off without them over the long haul - Longview Asset Management

I intend to keep a rolling 2-3 years of spend in lower risk funds (mix equity/bonds) and the rest can take its luck on diversified equity funds - I figure barring this will give the overall higher returns in the long run. e.g. the hits I've taken this month on global small-cap funds have hopefully 20+ years to recover.

We’re talking about playing the system sensibly so you dont live in poverty vs playing the system badly to your own detriment.

Although the idea that your cunning plan of switching between a fully invested pension and cash in order to try and time the market is sticking it to the man is pretty funny, so thanks for that. :D
Although my crazy scheme has worked twice before. I've no idea why you are so threatened by the idea. What's it to you? Or do you want me to validate your choices?

Although my crazy scheme has worked twice before. I've no idea why you are so threatened by the idea. What's it to you? Or do you want me to validate your choices?

Well. you presented the question so I gave my opinion. Of course I couldn’t care less what you do with your pension, use it all to buy an NFT of a pixelated screenshot of this post if you want.

what is causing the tech crash?
FT says Amazon shares are boosting so I presume its not all tech. Facebook particularly shit? Is it just that Facebook is bloated and out of favour?

I’d say it’s mostly that investors have been willing to bet on enormous rates of growth for these shares. There are signs of that growth levelling off now, though. That’s making the valuations look overblown.

A common measure of whether a company seems good value or not is to compare its price to what profit the company actually makes each year. Typically, historically, people look for a benchmark of the former being about 20 times the latter (depending on how “profit” is specifically defined). So if a company makes a profit of £10m per year, you would expect the total value of all its shares to be worth £200m. This ratio of price to profit (or “earnings”) is called P/E.

The big tech companies totally break this. They have often have a P/E over 50. This is because the E part is expected to grow, so the price might look a lot now but the same price will look cheap in the future. The rest of the S&P have an historically high P/E but not astronomically so —it is about 25.

However, Facebook’s user base has just dropped for the first time in its history, and its profit forecast for the coming year has shrunk. Suddenly, it isn’t a growth stock so much any more. That P/E ratio is being re-evaluated in line with this. If the future E is going to be smaller, the P needs to shrink accordingly.

It has contagion to other tech stocks because it presents signs of where the limits are, and they are lower than some people previously might have thought.

Back
Top Bottom