Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glastonbury 2023

I can remember when Glastonbury threads used to have pages in the teens , with at least 3 taken up by Williams weather reports , I have been absent from Urban for a while but popped back in to see if there was a meet -up , so sad to see the passing of WOW , a true Glastonbury stalwart . Count me in for a raised glass to “ the Special one “

Yes, Glastonbury and knowing William won't be there at Info & elsewhere will be strange.

Tort's guide mentions William and festivaldeb working on Info.

Been way from Urban for a while and logged on to see if there was any Glastonbury gossip. I didn't know about William - that's awful.

I never met him in person, vaguely talked about meeting up at Glasto last year and forget all about it. :( He was a very kind, funny and good humoured Urbanite. Really saddened to hear this.

If anyone would mind inboxing me/letting me know what happened I would really appreciate that.

So then, Urban drinks and WoW tribute. I'm terrible at event organisation, but with a new role this year, I will at least be able to attend, and would indeed love to.

Wednesday or Thursday any good for anyone? Anyone know what William's favourite bar was on site? Suspect it was the one backstage T&C, or possibly acoustic, but given we won't all have wristbands for those, let's do a public one.

So then, Urban drinks and WoW tribute. I'm terrible at event organisation, but with a new role this year, I will at least be able to attend, and would indeed love to.

Wednesday or Thursday any good for anyone? Anyone know what William's favourite bar was on site? Suspect it was the one backstage T&C, or possibly acoustic, but given we won't all have wristbands for those, let's do a public one.

I'm already at a meet Wednesday at the bandstand from 7.00. So if we did one in that vicinity, cider bus/adjacent bar perhaps, I could pop across.

I have a feeling West Holt's backstage bar was William's place, but I don't have crew access.

The postman has knocked, so my minor annual panic is over :)

Couple of points that may be worth making: EE have lost the contract to Voda so anyone who wants signal while there may want to give that some thought. Also been told the festival is not supplying any firewood this year, which well, sign of the times I guess but it makes me a bit sad.

The postman has knocked, so my minor annual panic is over :)

Couple of points that may be worth making: EE have lost the contract to Voda so anyone who wants signal while there may want to give that some thought. Also been told the festival is not supplying any firewood this year, which well, sign of the times I guess but it makes me a bit sad.
They said somewhere 'hey there's lots of cool places to hang out so why set up a campfire at your tent?'

I guess they are backing that up.

Possible reasons are:
* to increase revenue to businesses. If you are at your tent you arent by businesses. They support the funding of Glastonbury as much as your ticket does.

* To maximize camping space. The one man tent demographic is dwindling to be replaced by an older need more comfort demographic.

I understand the rationale.
However I have some fond memories of being invited to people's camps.
Back in the day Beck was known to crash a few fires with his guitar. Whether that's an argument for or against I'll leave to the individual.

Oh and maybe the anti log burner it's puts carbon into the air brigade may have something to do with it too.

Legally you need special logs or something for log burner now I hear. Gives off less carbon.

Yes I feel nostalgic for the days when there was a haze of wood smoke across site. And having a fire is nice, especially for toasting the kids marshmallows, but we don't have them so often nowadays.

Most festivals don't allow them cos of fire risk, especially with the hot, dry summers lately. Glastonbury has been an outlier. And yes, from an environmental point of view, it's better not to be producing all that pollution and heat. I'm sure there's a financial element too. End of an era though.

Now we're in vanland, we can chuck in a bag of our own firewood, assuming it's still allowed to have fires. I'd understand if it wasn't due to fire risk.

I think they originally started supplying the firewood to stop people burning the trees and bushes. Successfully I think, as there wouldn't be much greenery on Muddy Lane now if they hadn't. And that led to the whole, rather unsung use of scalpings for architecture, furniture and so on. Now all the bushes are fenced off and we've been fed the Love the Farm messaging, and anyway the number of fires has dwindled massively, so maybe there won't be much pressure this year. But I do wonder what those who want a fire in the camping fields will find to burn, and whether its likely to be any less polluting or safer. Fires in the arenas used to be plastic bottles and suchlike, so I'm not hopeful there will be a massively responsible attitude.

Just a little heads up from a Pilton local . . . unless there's a fairly major change to the weather it's going to be a scorching hot AND DUSTY Glastobury this year

Over looking the site from up on a hill where I volunteer the temperature was 27ºC this morning

Try and keep the music down a bit this year please

Yeah, I've just been reading a forecast that says it's going to be dry, humid, hot and warm, all at the same time :confused: Sounds like a mix of mainly HOT to me :D

I've got a friend who's on site this week putting up tipis. Must have been hot and sweaty work in this heat.

Back
Top Bottom