Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gird your nerdly loins: Dwarf Fortress

ook, so I had a little go and started digging into a hill. I designated the mining but only one dwarf started mining. how do I get more on the job?

also, can you make them drag the waggon to a better spot?

ook, so I had a little go and started digging into a hill. I designated the mining but only one dwarf started mining. how do I get more on the job?

also, can you make them drag the waggon to a better spot?

If you embarked with the default set of dwarves and equipment, you only get one pick and one dwarf with elevated mining skill. Be sure to have some stonecrafts (nice and simple to make) ready for the Autumn caravan, so you can buy another pick or two and assign Mining to more dwarves.

The wagon is effectively a "building" so you need to look at it with the q cursor and choose x to disassemble it. Your carpenter will do the work, and then the contents of the wagon will be on the ground, plus a few stacks of wagon wood.

Ok, so I've got a basic fortress together, stockpile, meeting space, fungus farm & stairs. I'm currently digging out some workshops and attempting to get people to claim them... with not much success. I've allocated a masonry and carpenters workshop but all my dwarves are sitting around idle and they're not getting built. I'm not sure if they've got the materials to build it, but I chose "shale" from the list assuming I've got some lying around from the excavations. Is this normal?

Do you have masonry and carpentry skills activated on your dwarves? They will only perform the labours you allow them to. I presume you're using Dwarf Therapist? (If you're not, you should be)

When building things, the list of materials is a list of everything that's available to build with. Unless the item(s) you select get destroyed/locked away somehow, then the building can be built.

Cheers Crispy, I think I have those dwarves & they're not doing anything. Perhaps there's some stone in the way - I think I need to sort out the garbage dump thing for it.

Stone that's just lying on the ground isn't an obstacle, it just slows movement a little.

My dwarves have made it through the first year without catastrophe, now focussing on going self sufficiency.

How do I get happiness pops in therapist? I can't find it for coffee.

My dwarves have made it through the first year without catastrophe, now focussing on going self sufficiency.

How do I get happiness pops in therapist? I can't find it for coffee.
the Linux version might not be as up to date as in windows., so they might not even exist. The happiness indicator is to the right of their names, near the profession and current jobs icons. It's either a shade from red to green, or a little smiley. Hover gives you a popover.

I'm finding this almost impossible. Half of my dwarves have formed a cult of the she-bear and the rest have turned cannibal. None of them display any interest in mining. Do I need to give them sillier names?

I'm finding this almost impossible. Half of my dwarves have formed a cult of the she-bear and the rest have turned cannibal. None of them display any interest in mining. Do I need to give them sillier names?

I reckon, there are loads of lists left to work through - MPs or past Big Brother contestants would be fairly amusing.

the Linux version might not be as up to date as in windows., so they might not even exist. The happiness indicator is to the right of their names, near the profession and current jobs icons. It's either a shade from red to green, or a little smiley. Hover gives you a popover.

Hmm, it's not working on the mac version. The popup appears but just says things like "content" without listing the reasons.

Hmm, it's not working on the mac version. The popup appears but just says things like "content" without listing the reasons.
then it must be a version thing. Someone's forked the project cos the original guy stopped updating it, but it's only available for windows and Linux.

However, keeping dwarves happy is not too hard. Make sure you have a nice big dining room and make it a meeting room also. Give each dwarf their own bedroom. Keep the booze flowing. Once your food supply is diversified from plump helmets, make meals. A statue garden is a nice thing for them to spend their breaks.

As it turns out, my broker decided to first go on a break and then go to sleep so I had to send in a novie who got predictably ripped off. Also, no birds so no eggs. And very little booze. :mad:

I did buy a bunch of outdoor seeds. I think I'll start a farm instead.

Keep it well walled, or be prepared for your farmers to do double duty as sacrificial lookouts.

Keep it well walled, or be prepared for your farmers to do double duty as sacrificial lookouts.

I've built a set of stars up to the top of the hill. There's now a completely enclosed wall around a pond, a pen and some future fields. I may wall off the whole top of the hill this way so I can continue to gather plants and chop down the occasional tree.

It's saying the ground requires mud or something, but it's outside on green tiles with plants growing all around :confused:

you can ignore that message, it's a bug

Cheers.

Another question. I have more than one mason, but one is much better than the others. I want him to be constantly in the workshop building things and the others building walls. Is there a way I can force him to make things and not build?

Cheers.

Another question. I have more than one mason, but one is much better than the others. I want him to be constantly in the workshop building things and the others building walls. Is there a way I can force him to make things and not build?
hmm. I'm pretty sure the masonry skill doesn't differentiate between crafting and construction.

What would help is restricting a single masons workshop to that mason. You need to have a manager dwarf first, and then you can access the (p)rofile menu when q viewing the workshop. The you can choose the desired mason from the list of dwarves. Then you can be sure that any furniture/statues queued at that workshop will be made by your skilled mason.

I've not even thought about network yet, but the gems and spacecraft are doing well. livestockand meat laiks a right pAin but a recent immigrant has started hunting, which is
cool. might start getting my head round traps next.

Eta: phone lol.

Back
Top Bottom