Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gird your nerdly loins: Dwarf Fortress

Bumping this thread for the Steam version, coming Dec 6th

Here's the release trailer:

Featuring a brand new interface, with graphics, sane menus, tutorials, help text and more!

Oh, and a proper soundtrack, previewed here:

(skip to 1:10)

If only I had time for it any more :(

Also owing to time constraints I don't think I've struck the earth for probably 8 years or so (and I think always with the Lazy Newb Pack and Dwarf Therapist in tow to make the insanity bearable), so colour me somewhat surprised to see how much polish it's been given on the UI level. I think my last keyboard-destroying event was endless bloody vampires.

Can anyone who's used its more recent incarnations give a quick summary of what's changed (hopefully for the better) from a UI perspective? Do the tutorials pay proper attention to the wholly holy importance of socks?

Ive picked it up to see if the interface is any better. The answer is yes, but i lost the tutorial as the button i needed to press was hidden under the window telling me what to do. :facepalm:

Anyway, i need some help. I have a farm plot set up. And i have seeds in my stockpile. But nobody is planting anything. The only option os "leave fallow". Any ideas?

Ive picked it up to see if the interface is any better. The answer is yes, but i lost the tutorial as the button i needed to press was hidden under the window telling me what to do. :facepalm:

Anyway, i need some help. I have a farm plot set up. And i have seeds in my stockpile. But nobody is planting anything. The only option os "leave fallow". Any ideas?

I’m stumped on this as well, I think it might need potash.

Overall I have no idea what I’m doing and there’s just so much happening it’s hard to work out what’s going on.

Anyone know if I can set numbers on building furniture cos the options seem to be build forever or build once

I’m stumped on this as well, I think it might need potash.

Overall I have no idea what I’m doing and there’s just so much happening it’s hard to work out what’s going on.

Anyone know if I can set numbers on building furniture cos the options seem to be build forever or build once
Yes, that was my next question!

Yes, that was my next question!

This might be my issue

Above Ground Farming​

• Above ground crops farming is impossible in Ocean and Mountain biomes, even if the farm is built on mud.

Above ground farming is basically the same as underground farming, with the simplifying distinction that above ground plots typically do not require preparatory work. However, there are some complications.

Couple of wikis around for it

This might be my issue

Above Ground Farming​

• Above ground crops farming is impossible in Ocean and Mountain biomes, even if the farm is built on mud.

Above ground farming is basically the same as underground farming, with the simplifying distinction that above ground plots typically do not require preparatory work. However, there are some complications.

Couple of wikis around for it

Ah OK. Thanks. I think the setting multiple numbers of objects needs a manager?

this is making things much better. There are still "how do I do that?" moments, but it's all so much more manageable. I mean, I've only got some basics set up and I'm still trying to figure out lots of things but this is the furthest I've ever got.

I'm playing on a 4k screen and, until you sort out your settings then you only see half of the info you would normally, so be aware of that if you are doing the same (you can tell cos you won't be able to assign anybody to a squad). So it's not exactly slick, but it's a great start.

Is this worth the learning curve or not particularly?
If it's your sort of thing, then yes. Especially this new version, which has almost completely removed all the interface obstacles. Now you have a decently smooth, well-designed window into the brain-fuckingly complex world inside.

Of all the reviews of the new version, this is probably the best:

If it's your sort of thing, then yes. Especially this new version, which has almost completely removed all the interface obstacles. Now you have a decently smooth, well-designed window into the brain-fuckingly complex world inside.

Of all the reviews of the new version, this is probably the best:

It looks somewhat like gauntlet but as a god sim in the style of D&D.
Am I close? :D

I'm thinking about it all the time. I'm not sure i like it.

Latest fortress is going ok, got steel, 25 dwarves, loads of food and drink, nice pub, most people are having a good time apart from one grumpy bastard. We even have a functioning military. Wondering how it's all going to go tits up, should find out soon i guess.

I’ve got over a hundred but I settled somewhere quiet. So far nothing horrific has gone wrong but I’ve exiled a vampire after a few suspicious deaths (the green dodgy one looked like they did it so just exiled them) had one siege which was dealt with by charging out the squads to kill the goblins.

Mostly there’s just way to much to keep track of, I’ve got some mods to make some things saner (especially instrument production) so just a case of running this fort to collapse and starting again.

Farming is a fucking mystery, I’ve tons of food but no booze

Making soap seems to be.. tricky. Especially after I read that my donkey was "often sad and dejected" so I couldn't kill her. :(

The game has a soundtrack and audio

The music pack is just buying the soundtrack so you can listen to it whenever you like
Cheers, you saved me some cash. :D

Just watching some youtube primers. It's right up my street. The fact it can all go easily terribly wrong probably makes it better than similar offerings where the easiness of the affair soon renders it boring.

This guy mentioned the music here and said playing from the download is better and gives his reasons. Just realised it's Quill18 who does great videos on Paradox stuff.

I tried the free version earlier this year but nope....could not get my head around it.

Gonna try dive in with this again tho, and nice to throw the lads a few quid as well for such a mental game.

What guides, add-ons and tutorials do i need before i attempt and blow my brains out again o:cool: this?

Is Dwarf Therapist on the new one?

Back
Top Bottom