Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Coronavirus (COVID-19) chat

My local Co-op seems to have misread the memo. Apparently, they are not selling alcohol after 10pm, 'according to' something - ....

Judging by today's news that's probably a decent policy. If you're going to shut the pubs at 10pm it may have been an idea to coordinate it with other places that sell booze.

Perhaps some of those anti-mask conspiracy theorists could pop along and visit these poor old folks for a chat. Obviously, they you wouldn't need to wear a mask because they keep telling us it's all a hoax.

Isadora_Kosofsky_0014-scaled-1-800x533.jpg

Isadora_Kosofsky_-100-800x533.jpg

My local Co-op seems to have misread the memo. Apparently, they are not selling alcohol after 10pm, 'according to' something - ....
It was so strange last Friday with the pubs closed at 10pm but heaps of people piling into the offies and Sainsbury's for booze.

For the last 3 weeks, I have been doing the ONS tests... which appears to be an inept shitshow. The first week, none of the barcodes were included in the test pack so were basically unidentified. 2nd week, I get a different person with a little stick on barcode...but who has my details wrong (name and email). This week, we go through the (inane) questions, only for none of it to save. The actual questions are conducted by agency workers with minimal training...and I swear, the 1st and most recent chap had even less clue how to use a mobile phone than I do. Also, the first test swab had no breakage point - had to use my secateurs to cut the plastic wand. Every single test kit has been different - either details on bottle, no labelling at all and one with barely any liquid (just a little smear at the bottom of the tube).Second agency worker gives me an entirely different set of anwers regarding notification, claiming Accuvia will be writing to me. Today I am told results only go to GP and only if positive. Oh yeah, have had no vouchers either. And this is not taking into account the utter shambolic timekeeping. I get a phone call the night before a test, with a time... which still seems quite random. The one I had today had been to 2 other people and only just noticed none of the data had been saved from his previous testee (?) (he was imputting wrong data on the barcode after failing to photograph it because his phone is an ancient dinosaur). He did say the agency were looking to recruit more testers and was a bit coy when I asked him what training he had had.
O, and neither of them have worn masks and invariably pat my dog.

Getting a bit exhausted by seeing things within an hour, where one says '50% chance of vaccine by spring , 85% chance by second half of next year' and another saying 'Vaccine at least two years away - we'll be in and out of lockdown until then', both of which I saw this morning (didn't see more than headline)

It's like 'No one fucking knows! Stop getting my hopes up and/or bringing me right down about it!'

For the last 3 weeks, I have been doing the ONS tests... which appears to be an inept shitshow. The first week, none of the barcodes were included in the test pack so were basically unidentified. 2nd week, I get a different person with a little stick on barcode...but who has my details wrong (name and email). This week, we go through the (inane) questions, only for none of it to save. The actual questions are conducted by agency workers with minimal training...and I swear, the 1st and most recent chap had even less clue how to use a mobile phone than I do. Also, the first test swab had no breakage point - had to use my secateurs to cut the plastic wand. Every single test kit has been different - either details on bottle, no labelling at all and one with barely any liquid (just a little smear at the bottom of the tube).Second agency worker gives me an entirely different set of anwers regarding notification, claiming Accuvia will be writing to me. Today I am told results only go to GP and only if positive. Oh yeah, have had no vouchers either. And this is not taking into account the utter shambolic timekeeping. I get a phone call the night before a test, with a time... which still seems quite random. The one I had today had been to 2 other people and only just noticed none of the data had been saved from his previous testee (?) (he was imputting wrong data on the barcode after failing to photograph it because his phone is an ancient dinosaur). He did say the agency were looking to recruit more testers and was a bit coy when I asked him what training he had had.
O, and neither of them have worn masks and invariably pat my dog.
The vouchers do take a few weeks to come through. If you've given them an email address that's how you'll get them.

Have to say, my experience has been totally different - arranging appointments is chaos and I've only been tested about half as many times as I should, as a result, but the actual tests have been fine. Giving blood samples as well means I get actual trained medical professionals though, not some random agency worker.

The vouchers do take a few weeks to come through. If you've given them an email address that's how you'll get them.

Have to say, my experience has been totally different - arranging appointments is chaos and I've only been tested about half as many times as I should, as a result, but the actual tests have been fine. Giving blood samples as well means I get actual trained medical professionals though, not some random agency worker.
You have been doing this longer than me, Iona - I suspect a whole new tranche of testing has been initiated and Accuvia are simply not able to keep up with it. I am less worried about agency workers than I am about the lack of any clarity or consistency.. I only did it because I thought it would be an early warning system (because I am still massively worried for a couple of very vulnerable family members , one of whom I live with and the other is also dependent on us for all sorts of support. I asked about blood samples (because I wanted the antigen tests) but none of those have been rolled out with this latest round of testing...it's all door to door agency staff.

Err may not entirely fit in here but my dad has been self isolating since February with my step mum. He has COPD so obviously seriously at risk also serious back and other issues so mobility issues too and consistently bad health in general. She has now had a very bad fall, broken femur, multiple ribs and most likely a wrist as well but we are waiting on an xray. When she's out she will be going to her sons for aftercare.

They had basically been self reliant up til this point and had cut back on as much care as possible due to infection risk. I setup food deliveries etc before this started as they were using carer hours just to get the shopping in I had found out. Most eveything is automated as far as bill paying, solar with battery incase of brown outs, oxygen backup tanks etc and they moved to a bungalow and it is as far as I am aware as adapted as it can be for them.

They had decided by July they were self isolating until December at minimum and had cut back on care to one person to limit exposure. He's always been incredibly self reliant and a stubborn bastard which is probably where I get it from. Well the stubborn bit anyway, I'm not a qualified pilot, pilot instructor, ex raf, ex merchant navy, oil rig worker of some description, plumber, financial advisor electrician, gas fitter nor have I built a house as a side project (obviously some other professionals involved at various points as he wasn't a roofer or a crane operator for example). Tho I did most of the plasterboard on it I suppose.

Point is are there any additional services I could get in or options available for those extremely vulnerable and self isolating alone, he's not 70 until December if that makes a difference. Frankly if he has a similar fall no one might even find out for some time. I'm trying to get him to increase carer hours but well as above.

Err may not entirely fit in here but my dad has been self isolating since February with my step mum. He has COPD so obviously seriously at risk also serious back and other issues so mobility issues too and consistently bad health in general. She has now had a very bad fall, broken femur, multiple ribs and most likely a wrist as well but we are waiting on an xray. When she's out she will be going to her sons for aftercare.

They had basically been self reliant up til this point and had cut back on as much care as possible due to infection risk. I setup food deliveries etc before this started as they were using carer hours just to get the shopping in I had found out. Most eveything is automated as far as bill paying, solar with battery incase of brown outs, oxygen backup tanks etc and they moved to a bungalow and it is as far as I am aware as adapted as it can be for them.

They had decided by July they were self isolating until December at minimum and had cut back on care to one person to limit exposure. He's always been incredibly self reliant and a stubborn bastard which is probably where I get it from. Well the stubborn bit anyway, I'm not a qualified pilot, pilot instructor, ex raf, ex merchant navy, oil rig worker of some description, plumber, financial advisor electrician, gas fitter nor have I built a house as a side project (obviously some other professionals involved at various points as he wasn't a roofer or a crane operator for example). Tho I did most of the plasterboard on it I suppose.

Point is are there any additional services I could get in or options available for those extremely vulnerable and self isolating alone, he's not 70 until December if that makes a difference. Frankly if he has a similar fall no one might even find out for some time. I'm trying to get him to increase carer hours but well as above.

Don't know, sorry but they sound an amazing couple. And you and they have set things up really well. Seriously impressive.

Key safe outside, one of those care alarm installed (make sure he carries it), regular phone and in person check ins, neighbors to also check in regularly (maybe unobtrusively), and then don't be shy calling 999 for an ambulance/police welfare check on them if you get at all worried and you're not able to.

So I watched Handmaid's tale late last year on some digital cap catch up, but then it vanished from there so I only saw 4 episodes. Just picked it up again on Amazon and it's a bit weirdly close to the bone watching people recall a forgotten world where they could go where they like and meet up with who they like and there was all this stuff which just can't happen anymore.

Totally different reasons and all, but still kind of weird ...

I am seeing more and more stuff from people who know what they are talking about (see my post on 'useful info') saying there's no evidence that transmission for surfaces is a thing. I mean obviously people should washing hands and surfaces in case anyway, but one thing that could improve life and make schools, work and childcare much easier, among other things, is if the advice changed to 'it's OK to touch things other people have touched if you clean your hands frequently'

I mean, we've all been touching stuff in shops and kids have been getting their mitts all over playgrounds for months anyway - there just doesn't seem to be any evidence that people catch it that way. But I don't know what it would take for it to become conventional wisdom - it's difficult to test for (hence early experiments using unrealistically heavy loads leading to 'It will live on surfaces for weeks!!!' mania early on) but at the same time there have apparently not been any cases that can definitively be said to have come from a surface rather than breathing in droplets. :confused:

I am seeing more and more stuff from people who know what they are talking about (see my post on 'useful info') saying there's no evidence that transmission for surfaces is a thing. I mean obviously people should washing hands and surfaces in case anyway, but one thing that could improve life and make schools, work and childcare much easier, among other things, is if the advice changed to 'it's OK to touch things other people have touched if you clean your hands frequently'

I mean, we've all been touching stuff in shops and kids have been getting their mitts all over playgrounds for months anyway - there just doesn't seem to be any evidence that people catch it that way. But I don't know what it would take for it to become conventional wisdom - it's difficult to test for (hence early experiments using unrealistically heavy loads leading to 'It will live on surfaces for weeks!!!' mania early on) but at the same time there have apparently not been any cases that can definitively be said to have come from a surface rather than breathing in droplets. :confused:

Have there been any cases where they've been able to say definitively how the person contracted it whether it be from droplets or surface? I'm no scientist but surely the only way you could say for sure would be to carry out deliberate infections of otherwise healthy people in a controlled environment. Volunteers anyone?

Anyway, it may well turn out to be true but it seems unlikely there will be a change anytime soon given how much emphasize Chris Whitty has put on handwashing all along. Outwardly they've always seen distancing and handwashing as more important than things like masks for example.

Have there been any cases where they've been able to say definitively how the person contracted it whether it be from droplets or surface? I'm no scientist but surely the only way you could say for sure would be to carry out deliberate infections of otherwise healthy people in a controlled environment. Volunteers anyone?
Apparently not according to the video, no cases where it can be confirmed or was caught from surfaces. But it also can't be tested for exactly the reason you state. I think it perhaps has most to do with the fact of the number of droplets you need to get in your system in order to infect you, which is apparently quite a lot for C19. So it would be quite hard/unlucky to get enough fairly fresh drops off a surface and into your system by touching something.

Wasn't one of the new Zealand outbreaks thought to have come from infected surfaces?

There are concerns with frozen imported fish here in China, and it's been linked to several outbreaks now. I think they now test all the workers in this area every couple of days, and they picked up two infections a couple of weeks ago.

I'm not sure if it was imported cold stuff in NZ too, or if it was ever confirmed anyway.

Wasn't one of the new Zealand outbreaks thought to have come from infected surfaces?

They were looking into a link with frozen food imports, but ruled it out.

The origin of the latest outbreak is still unknown, but authorities earlier on Tuesday ruled out the possibility that it came from frozen food items or freight.

“Seems clear now that the possibility is being ruled out from that investigation,” Director General of Health Ashley Bloomfield told reporters.

God there's a local woman who is obssessed with the fact there was a fair in our local park at the beginning of September and how could the council allow it when cases were rising and who is now insisting it's a 'super spreader event' because levels are high in the area, but I'm sure that's bollocks. I mean, it was outdoors, people were hardly crammed into the park shoulder to shoulder and it's doubtful dozens of people will have picked it up from surfaces (daughter went and said there was sanitiser by all the rides, which she and her friends used each time)

Billionaires have seen their fortunes hit record highs during the pandemic, with top executives from technology and industry earning the most.

The world's richest saw their wealth climb 27.5% to $10.2trn (£7.9trn) from April to July this year, according to a report from Swiss bank UBS.

That was up from the previous peak of $8.9trn at the end of 2017 and largely due to rising global share prices.

UBS said billionaires had done "extremely well" in the Covid crisis.

Among the billionaires, the biggest winners this year have been industrialists, whose wealth rose a staggering 44% in the three months to July.

"Industrials benefited disproportionately as markets priced in a significant economic recovery [after lockdowns around the world]," UBS said.

Tech billionaires have also had a good pandemic, seeing their wealth soar 41%. UBS said this was "due to the corona-induced demand for their goods and services" and social distancing accelerating "digital businesses [and] compressing several years' evolution into a few months".

Healthcare billionaires also benefited as the crisis put drug makers and medical device companies in the spotlight.

The rise in fortunes reflects the generally strong performance of global stock markets since late March, despite most countries continuing to suffer sharp recessions.

Amazon boss Jeff Bezos and Tesla founder Elon Musk - both multi-billionaires - saw their wealth hit new highs this summer thanks to growth in the price of their companies' stock.

Burn them down.

Back
Top Bottom