Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Coronavirus (COVID-19) chat

"
2h ago 16:22

A person on a poorly ventilated Chinese bus infected nearly two dozen other passengers with coronavirus even though many weren’t sitting close by, according to research that offers fresh evidence the disease can spread in the air.

I'm getting really scared of autumn/winter

I don't really see what's new here? Has there been any suggestion for months (or ever) that it doesn't travel in the air?:confused:

I don't really see what's new here? Has there been any suggestion for months (or ever) that it doesn't travel in the air?:confused:
what i perceive to be different here is its one thing if someone spits and sneezes on you at close quarters, and another if in a closed environment the disease will spread at a distance..........as it gets cold windows are going to close and our environments are about to get a lot more contained - and therefore potentially more prone to contagion

Last edited:
what i perceive to be different here is its one thing if someone spits and sneezes on you at close quarters, and another if in a closed environment the disease will spread at a distance..........as it gets cold windows are going to close and our environments are about to get a lot more contained - and therefore potentially more prone to contagion
Wasn't there a story recently (South Korea, maybe?) about a woman sitting below the air conditioning that infected dozens of others in a cafe?

Two people at my work now self-isolating after coming into contact with one of The Infected in circumstances that are not entirely clear. They await their test results.

Reassured to see head office respond quickly to the situation by telling everyone not to . . . discuss it on social media! :D

Two people at my work now self-isolating after coming into contact with one of The Infected in circumstances that are not entirely clear. They await their test results.

Reassured to see head office respond quickly to the situation by telling everyone not to . . . discuss it on social media! :D

So, OK on here, being anti-social media. :D

"
2h ago 16:22

A person on a poorly ventilated Chinese bus infected nearly two dozen other passengers with coronavirus even though many weren’t sitting close by, according to research that offers fresh evidence the disease can spread in the air.

I'm getting really scared of autumn/winter

Buses in winter are perfect virus-spreading environments. Warm, humid, densely populated with folk getting on and off all the time. And in many places they're the only commuting option for those without private cars.

Buses in winter are perfect virus-spreading environments. Warm, humid, densely populated with folk getting on and off all the time. And in many places they're the only commuting option for those without private cars.
this is my worry.
i go on two trains, one has windows that open, the other is sealed.
the one that is sealed (a thameslink train) i don't know if air is recycled or fresh brought in - you'd expect fresh air really.
on the train with open windows, people will want those closed when its cold and i dont think there's any other ventilation after that
nothing has happened yet, but its been a warm year this year - cold conditions haven't been tested yet
however there havent been a lot of reports otherwise - planes/trains/busses - aside from this Chinese case I haven't heard anything

At least on most buses you can open windows. Only problem being a lot of people still don't really get the risk from the build up in unventilated places so will likely close the windows in the winter.

however there havent been a lot of reports otherwise - planes/trains/busses - aside from this Chinese case I haven't heard anything

I'm not completely clear what areas thats supposed to mean but dead bus drivers certainly shouldnt be left out of the picture.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) has recently released figures suggesting that bus drivers in the UK were among workers with higher rates of death from COVID-19 than other staff.

Male bus and coach drivers were found to have a rate of 26.4 deaths per 100,000 compared to sales and retail assistants at a rate of 19.8.

I got into a debate on another site with some individuals who truly believe their freedoms are being taken away from them because the government has asked that certain restrictions be brought back til mid Sept.
These people were frothing at the mouth because indoor games are restricted to 6 people and outdoors to 15.
Because they were advised to work from home and not use public transport unless absolutely necessary
One of them said they thought if they refused the vaccine that they'd be put in a camp.
Nuts.

They clearly had no understanding of the words "temporary measures ". I was told to shut up and let them live their life whatever way they wanted...and "we only have today"... I pointed out that the virus doesnt actually care about that and was rounded on.

One of them was clearly losing the plot saying he wouldnt let the government put him into a prison in his own home.

When I pointed out that we only have 465 ICU beds in the entire country I was laughed at and told that was a lie.

What is wrong with these very vocal people?
Genuinely confused at how self centred some people are.

Correction. Apparently Ireland has only 411 ICU beds 😳

And the situation is going to get a lot worse. 🙁
"By the end of the year, it is forecast that Ireland would need 1,037 out of the 1,573 available hospital beds to treat virus patients. Some 454 ICU beds would be needed with only 53 available, and 433 ventilators would be required."

Incidentally what's happening in China and the Far East at the moment? Are they having any general resurgence due to autumn/not being locked down or do they continue have it under control?

Incidentally what's happening in China and the Far East at the moment? Are they having any general resurgence due to autumn/not being locked down or do they continue have it under control?

Absolute flatline - no cases, no deaths. Whether that indicates a complete control of the virus, or a complete control of data being released to the general public, is anyone's guess.

Absolute flatline - no cases, no deaths. Whether that indicates a complete control of the virus, or a complete control of data being released to the general public, is anyone's guess.
Yes, there is always an aspect of :hmm: about their figures, although it's not like we can talk about government transparency either

So firstly, please let's not say "Far East", because it's outdated and absurdly vague for such a huge part of the world. There is East Asia and South East Asia, not just a mysterious lump where everyone eats dogs and uses chopsticks. What with East Asia and South East Asia being composed of various countries, they are actually having quite disparate experiences of the pandemic.

In China, since April we have had a local lockdown in Heilongjiang Province, a local lockdown in Jilin Province, a local lockdown in Beijing, a local lockdown in Dalian, and really, less than a fucking month ago, there was a lockdown in Xinjiang. None of which indicate secrecy or control of data do they, really?

So yeah, outbreaks are still being openly and publicly dealt with, but we are currently experiencing a rare streak where there's no known local transmission. It would be lovely if we never had an outbreak again, but we have to accept that this pattern of dynamic eradication is continuous, since it has been for several months now.

In China, since April we have had a local lockdown in Heilongjiang Province, a local lockdown in Jilin Province, a local lockdown in Beijing, a local lockdown in Dalian, and really, less than a fucking month ago, there was a lockdown in Xinjiang. None of which indicate secrecy or control of data do they, really?

After their mishandling and cover-ups in the early days of the pandemic, nobody's ever going to trust anything the Beijing regime says about it again, not that anything they say could have been trusted in the first place.

Just spoken to my parents who have been out at their place in Slovakia for the last two weeks - they are preparing to run their small classical music festival weekend as usual at the start of October. There's been a slight rise of cases in Bratislava, no cases at all currently in their area of Eastern Slovakia (opposite end from B'slava). Masks are compulsory in shops, and in restaurants when not eating, but otherwise I think things are just carrying on, presumably with distancing. As my mum has pointed out, it's not a country where people move around from place to place much, certainly not in the fairly rural east. They are supposed to be coming back mid October, but my sister and I have now both said that they might just be better seeing out the winter there - they'll have much more freedom of movement, much lower likelihood of catching it and, if God forbid they did catch it and need hospitalising, almost certainly better healthcare where they'd intervene earlier than here (there's a hospital with A&E 500m from their house and a big regional hospital half an hour away).

I was piled on by the resident keyboard warriors for suggesting this earlier, but in light of the recent problems with the Oxford Trials they might have a think before their next outburst
Many are blindly accepting what the Drug companies and University Research Departments tell them whilst forgetting they are all competitors doing their best to make financial and/or reputational gains
Inside Oxford’s Vaccine Saga: From Wild Hype to Sobering Reality

Linked to the above is news of proposals by the EU, USA and individual countries to plan a legal way to start vaccine delivery without the usual final approvals
Europe eyes loophole for early distribution of unlicensed coronavirus vaccine

I was piled on by the resident keyboard warriors for suggesting this earlier, but in light of the recent problems with the Oxford Trials they might have a think before their next outburst
Many are blindly accepting what the Drug companies and University Research Departments tell them whilst forgetting they are all competitors doing their best to make financial and/or reputational gains
Inside Oxford’s Vaccine Saga: From Wild Hype to Sobering Reality

That article is already out of date, as the trials of the Oxford vaccine are resuming.

Daughter #2 struggling with the first online lesson session today. Her college is using Microsoft Teams, which is some sort of communication tool - but the first group she tried to join failed to connect, and then she was told that you only get one chance to connect and the teacher can't reinvite her. :facepalm: Absolute clusterfuck - do they not understand they are going to have technical issues, dropped connections, etc?

Daughter #2 struggling with the first online lesson session today. Her college is using Microsoft Teams, which is some sort of communication tool - but the first group she tried to join failed to connect, and then she was told that you only get one chance to connect and the teacher can't reinvite her. :facepalm: Absolute clusterfuck - do they not understand they are going to have technical issues, dropped connections, etc?

Teams is dead simple to use and its the go to system for a lot of business these days. Logging in and back in if the signal drops is usually really easy and just a click of a button. It sounds like the college has added some plug ins or something. All very odd.

Teams is dead simple to use and its the go to system for a lot of business these days. Logging in and back in if the signal drops is usually really easy and just a click of a button. It sounds like the college has added some plug ins or something. All very odd.
Yeah - it seems like they've set it up to only allow joining at the beginning, because the lesson vanished from her schedule after she failed to join it the first time, so she has no way to find her way back to it.

Back
Top Bottom