Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Coronavirus (COVID-19) chat

Well, yeah. I was mainly wondering if they'd read & misinterpreted something, or if it was just their own skewed logic that coughing and spreads infection, so no coughs or sneezes = no infection

Yes, and I had a lot more sympathy for that level of understanding 7 months ago than I have now that we've had this extended period of learning. A period which should have laid waste to many of the oversimplifications, including plenty that various governments, health authorities etc were also more likely to cling to in the early months but have long since moved on from.

I think you missed one of the more obvious options
That was 4. Something else ;):D

Due to lockdowns etc the number of people infected fell to a very low level.
With restrictions eased, levels of infection have started to increase in various countries.
Cases, especially mild or asymptomatic cases, are far more likely to actually be counted now because testing capacity etc changed a lot compared to the first wave.
So, even though cases are rising, they are still a very small number of cases at any one time compared to the actual number of people that were infected at any one time during the peak of the first wave.
And this low number of current infections is reflected in hospitalisation and death stats.
If numbers infected, and demographics involved, go back up beyond a certain level, rises in hospitalisations and deaths will be expected to rise too.
But due to changes in testing etc, we would not expect to see the ratio of positive cases:deaths to be the same as the first time around.

So if in March there were 5000 cases detected on a particular day and 500 deaths that day, and then in September we see a day with 5000 cases detected but only 15 deaths, I do not need to look far for explanations (these are made up numbers for illustration only). Because I do not make the mistake of thinking that because these were both days with 5000 detected cases, that the wave of infections was actually at a similar level on both those occasions. So I wouldnt expect the death rates to resemble each other either.

Anyway thats the sort of scenario I use as a foundation, and then various other possibilities can be tacked on top if some evidence emerges to suggest that there is more going on.
I think that's probably most likely.

/Grabs back of fag packet and hits the ONS site to look at the figures/

There's currently about 1,000 cases per day being reported.

The current numbers of deaths is not completely clear - the official daily figure has been between 2 and 16 this week, but we know the ONS figure will be higher. Let's guess at around an average of 15 deaths per day.

That's about 67 infections per death every day.

During the peak week in April an average of around 1,300 per day were dying.

There are, of course, no figures for infections during the peak as the government gave up testing outside hospitals when things were really taking off (partly because they didn't have the capacity and partly because herd immunity). But if the ratio has remained constant that would mean a jaw dropping 87,100 people were being infected every day at the peak.

Can that be right?

Well, according to an Imperial College study "slightly under 6% of the population may have antibodies for the virus by the end of June – an estimated 3.4 million people." For all those people to have been infected in the 5 months from February to June, there would be an average infection rate of around 22,333 people per day. That infection rate wouldn't be constant - not many would be getting infected at the beginning of February, loads would be getting infected in mid-March and the numbers would drop significantly after lockdown. That means the 87,100 infections per day figure, or one even higher, at the peak is quite believable.

So yeah, if I haven't completely fucked up my maths (and I did get a U in my maths A-level) it looks like the numbers do support your theory.

Thanks for doing some calculations!

I suppose there is also further wiggle room in those sorts of calculations because we would probably expect a difference in the level of death at times when the virus is sweeping in a big way through vulnerable populations such as care home residents and already hospitalised patients.

I am displeased to see stories like this one:

Because of claims like this:

"What we have seen in France and Spain, and they saw an uptick in cases two weeks before the UK did because they were testing earlier, is there’s not been any increase in hospital admissions.

"There’s not been an increase in deaths – this is not a second wave, it is just we are testing more people and finding more cases."

Data from Spain shows an increase in hospitalisations and deaths. So it really pisses me off when doctors claim otherwise. I havent gotten around to looking at data from France yet, but I will.

Blimey, the Isle of Man doesn't mess around when it comes to covid quarantine rules, returning travellers must self-isolate for 14 days or face a fine of up to £10,000 or three months in prison. .

Three people have been jailed this week for failing to quarantine after returning to the Isle of Man from the UK.
On Monday 64-year-old Paul Dowd received a six-week jail sentence after going to the pub twice when he should have been in quarantine.

And on Tuesday a woman from Northern Ireland was jailed for a month after breaking quarantine rules. Fraser Nolan had been given special permission to visit to take care of her late mother’s estate but was caught by police after travelling by bus to a locksmith.

In the latest case to reach court, Alistair McCormick from Douglas was jailed for four weeks on Saturday after visiting a bank in the town on 21 August when he should have been isolating at home.

But, as they haven't had any new cases of covid since 20 May, it's understandable they want to protect the 'Manx bubble'.

Blimey, the Isle of Man doesn't mess around when it comes to covid quarantine rules, returning travellers must self-isolate for 14 days or face a fine of up to £10,000 or three months in prison. .

But, as they haven't had any new cases of covid since 20 May, it's understandable they want to protect the 'Manx bubble'.

No one's seen a Manx bubble since 1937

I am displeased to see stories like this one:

Because of claims like this:

Data from Spain shows an increase in hospitalisations and deaths. So it really pisses me off when doctors claim otherwise. I havent gotten around to looking at data from France yet, but I will.
Doctors are the same as the rest of us, there are 'loons and innumerate larrikins among them.

Doctors are the same as the rest of us, there are 'loons and innumerate larrikins among them.

At least it has motivated me to zoom in on data and spend hours hunched over a spreadsheet.

I am now tracking regional hospital data for Spain, France and Italy, as well as the UK.

So far some places dont have rises in such data, some have tentative rises that I wouldnt highlight unless they carry on in the same direction for another week or so, while certain regions of Spain show increases that are more worthy of reporting on at this stage.

I'm not talking about levels that are comparable to what happened during the first peak, but rather rises that are still obvious compared to the summer trough. I'm hoping that by studying them in detail I will have a better sense of what early signs I should look for in UK data. eg knowing when it is safe to report a genuine and sustained rise as opposed to going off half-cocked over a blip.

At least it has motivated me to zoom in on data and spend hours hunched over a spreadsheet.

I am now tracking regional hospital data for Spain, France and Italy, as well as the UK.

So far some places dont have rises in such data, some have tentative rises that I wouldnt highlight unless they carry on in the same direction for another week or so, while certain regions of Spain show increases that are more worthy of reporting on at this stage.

I'm not talking about levels that are comparable to what happened during the first peak, but rather rises that are still obvious compared to the summer trough. I'm hoping that by studying them in detail I will have a better sense of what early signs I should look for in UK data. eg knowing when it is safe to report a genuine and sustained rise as opposed to going off half-cocked over a blip.
there are three things in life which are certain, death, taxes, and the johnson administration's lamentable ability to fuck this up.

there are three things in life which are certain, death, taxes, and the johnson administration's lamentable ability to fuck this up.

For the last week or so the fucking Daily Mail has gone into the same mode over Johnsons education failings as they did in the John Major era when they were having trouble coming to terms with the loss of Thatcher.

Complete with terrible cartoon where the cartoonist doesnt have the benefit of blaming pandemic education disruption for their crap output.

Screenshot 2020-08-24 at 14.03.27.png

For the last week or so the fucking Daily Mail has gone into the same mode over Johnsons education failings as they did in the John Major era when they were having trouble coming to terms with the loss of Thatcher.

Complete with terrible cartoon where the cartoonist doesnt have the benefit of blaming pandemic education disruption for their crap output.

View attachment 227705
i rest my case. no matter what the government does, you can be sure they'll cock it up.

education - health - brexit etc etc ad nauseam, they'll cock it all up

Been in six places for a drink or meal now in the last few weeks. Not a single one either mentioned test and trace, or made any effort to make sure it was clear with obvious posters.

How much fucking effort is it to mention it when you're ordering, or to have a card on the table reminding you?! Just a joke.

The pub we were in twice over the weekend had a pretty good process and it felt really safe. You had to check in on arrival, i.e. text a number with your contact details so they are confirmed straight away.

We sat in the garden and it was 2 metres or more even between tables, and was then table service only. There was a one way system for the loo and hand sanitiser everywhere, the staff all wore masks at all times.

Felt good to be out and feel comfortable doing so.

Going to see my cousin today. I've been putting it off but she's really struggling with various crap and I've sorted a route that avoids the tube and won't be staying overnight like I usually would.

Am I being ridiculously paranoid if I wear a mask the entire time I'm in her house and bring disinfectant wipes to clean stuff before/after touching it? She has five kids, brother & partner living there and going out to work at separate places, two household members have had appts at different hospitals in the last week, one kid's just got back from holiday with their dad & his (not cohabiting) partner, and tbh I doubt any of them have been sticking to social distancing / other measures all that closely. I'd rather be over- than undercautious but got a feeling it might cause issues with them, and it's hard to keep a hold of actual vs perceived risk and what is sensible when everyone's reactions are so varied.

Going to see my cousin today. I've been putting it off but she's really struggling with various crap and I've sorted a route that avoids the tube and won't be staying overnight like I usually would.

Am I being ridiculously paranoid if I wear a mask the entire time I'm in her house and bring disinfectant wipes to clean stuff before/after touching it? She has five kids, brother & partner living there and going out to work at separate places, two household members have had appts at different hospitals in the last week, one kid's just got back from holiday with their dad & his (not cohabiting) partner, and tbh I doubt any of them have been sticking to social distancing / other measures all that closely. I'd rather be over- than undercautious but got a feeling it might cause issues with them, and it's hard to keep a hold of actual vs perceived risk and what is sensible when everyone's reactions are so varied.

Is there any chance you can mostly be outside? That would solve a lot of potential problems.

In general though I think there is certainly a danger that wet wiping stuff down in their house could cause offence. I would just try and spend as much time as possible in very well ventilated spaces (outside ideally) and just be careful with what you touch and regularly wash your hands. Maybe tell them in advance where you're current level of comfort is at.

I went to my grandmas house the other week and she got offended when I wore a mask in her house and insisted I take it off.

Yeah, back at the end of June I met up with some friends in a park. They had brought a picnic which I wasn't expecting and it became a bit awkward when I politely declined to sit on their blanket. Unfortunately there is a real clash between what people perceive as manners and how people perceive risk from the virus.

The poor level of health literacy in the country really shows at a time like this, as if we should just all trust each other to not have the virus because its something that happens to other people or something.

Yeah I'd planned to just stay out in the garden when I first said I'd visit but no way she'll be up for that in this weather.

Dunno where you're visiting but the forecast looks OK for the South East. I understand raining but if its just not sunshine dig some jumpers out. I think this is what I mean with communicating in advance about what you are happy with. If you're making the effort to go and see them it seems only reasonable that they respect the level of risk you are comfortable with.

South Korea just gone to stage 2.5 - 3 being total lockdown and 2 being no more than 50 people congregating in indoor spaces. This after 441 people (or so) testing + on Thursday. If only we had those numbers in the West.

Good... Blimey this pandemic is really bringing out the authoritarian in me! But there needs to be enforcement. The reason why there's boat loads of twats wandering around these Isles, mask less and without a care in the world is because there is no enforcement.

😂 I live on the Isle of man & am currently self isolating. Not ventured further than the front garden in 10 days. Wouldn't risk it!

"
2h ago 16:22

A person on a poorly ventilated Chinese bus infected nearly two dozen other passengers with coronavirus even though many weren’t sitting close by, according to research that offers fresh evidence the disease can spread in the air.

I'm getting really scared of autumn/winter

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom