Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Coronavirus (COVID-19) chat

Yeah looking at excess deaths its almost certainly killed more than 782 thousand and probably at least a million :(

LynnDoyleCooper i went to synagogue for a Jewish festival about March 10th, and some people were kinda making jokes about it, the rest didn't really know that much or thought lockdowns etc weren't going to happen (including me tbh) . It was only because my mum knew people in Italy that I was that aware of it at the time. Remember going to a pilates class the week Italy locked down where people were rubbing anti bac gel on the mats and complaining that it was a fuss over nothing :hmm:

Yeah, in late February (maybe, sometime before lockdown anyway but when it was clear it was going to be bad) a friend of mine was debating whether to cancel an April holiday until they talked to a friend in Northern Italy who gave a hollow laugh and said something like don't worry, in a few weeks you won't be going to the other side of town, let alone on holiday.

Yeah, in late February (maybe, sometime before lockdown anyway but when it was clear it was going to be bad) a friend of mine was debating whether to cancel an April holiday until they talked to a friend in Northern Italy who gave a hollow laugh and said something like don't worry, in a few weeks you won't be going to the other side of town, let alone on holiday.
My sisters mate went skiing in Italy and came back the day before the lockdown, and was surprised and a bit hurt than she didn't want to meet her for a drink :facepalm:

Yeah totally, I sometimes see this post from 31st January as the first post in the 'Coronavirus in the UK' sub-forum and have a moment...
I remember this post from weltweit which may have been the first about it in the world politics forum.

Bit scary, new virus which seems to have started in China seems very infectious and might be spreading.

Wow. Even the fear mongering BBC are now actually acknowldging that the rise in cases in Europe is not leading to increases in hospitalisations or deaths.

It is interesting isn't it? The idea that the virus may be becoming less potent is tantalizing. The problem is there is a major correlation / causation thing going on here and in and itself it doesn't really tell us anything at this stage. Just because we want it to be true doesn't mean it is and drawing conclusions from at it this stage is a fools errand.

It is interesting isn't it? The idea that the virus may be becoming less potent is tantalizing. The problem is there is a major correlation / causation thing going on here and in and itself it doesn't really tell us anything at this stage. Just because we want it to be true doesn't mean it is and drawing conclusions from at it this stage is a fools errand.
There are now huge amounts of scientific evidence suggesting that the positive test cases are nothing to be concerned about. Very interestingly, Proffesor Carl Heneghan of Oxford University has been providing consistent updated on Twitter that the PCR test being used for testing is meaningless and that the only pointers to be concerned about are hospitalisation rates and deaths - neither of which seem to be increasing in any areas where cases have increased again. So, a second wave of cases doesn't spell a second 'wave' per say. Despite this, places have locked down again just off the back of increases in positive cases - that truly is baffling.

Despite this, places have locked down again just off the back of increases in positive cases - that truly is baffling.

Tens of thousands in the UK dead from the infection, and no clear evidence that the virus is less dangerous, and now cases are increasing.

Yes, utterly baffling why places are locking down again. (Edited to take out insult, feeling generous of spirit this afternoon...).

Oh, and btw there is not 'huge amounts of scientific evidence suggesting that positive cases are nothing to be concerned about'.

Last edited:
There are now huge amounts of scientific evidence suggesting that the positive test cases are nothing to be concerned about. Very interestingly, Proffesor Carl Heneghan of Oxford University has been providing consistent updated on Twitter that the PCR test being used for testing is meaningless and that the only pointers to be concerned about are hospitalisation rates and deaths - neither of which seem to be increasing in any areas where cases have increased again. So, a second wave of cases doesn't spell a second 'wave' per say. Despite this, places have locked down again just off the back of increases in positive cases - that truly is baffling.

Sure. The thing is though in most places people who are considered high risk will be taking action to protect themselves. It follows to reason that the more the virus spreads in a population the harder it will be for those people to remain protected.

As I say, it is potentially good news but the consequences for backing the wrong horse are grave so to my mind caution with optimism has to be the sensible approach? I don't think its fair or right to roll the dice with such limited information. That's my opinion anyway and not that it matters anyway, its the government's call and I didn't vote for this shower. Vote circus get clowns.

Wow. Even the fear mongering BBC are now actually acknowldging that the rise in cases in Europe is not leading to increases in hospitalisations or deaths.

They dont say that. They say things that involve comparing the number of deaths now to the death rate at the first peak, and how the current rate of death is way lower than at the first peak. They dont say anything about whether deaths have risen recently in Spain. Deaths have risen recently in Spain, back to the sort of level last seen in the first half of June.

eg:

Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 13.19.58.png

Tens of thousands in the UK dead from the infection, and no clear evidence that the virus is less dangerous, and now cases are increasing.

Yes, utterly baffling why places are locking down again. You fucking idiot.

Oh, and btw there is not 'huge amounts of scientific evidence suggesting that positive cases are nothing to be concerned about'.
There really is. Are you able to argue without insulting people? How pathetic. There is a huge amount of information out there suggesting exactly that. Including the Proffesor that I quoted.

They dont say that. They say things that involve comparing the number of deaths now to the death rate at the first peak, and how the current rate of death is way lower than at the first peak. They dont say anything about whether deaths have risen recently in Spain. Deaths have risen recently in Spain, back to the sort of level last seen in the first half of June.

eg:

View attachment 227369
The article quotes this:

Spain's government admits the numbers are "not what we want to see", but points to key differences compared to the spring.

Only around 3% of current cases require hospital treatment, less than 0.5% need intensive care and the current death rate is as low as 0.3%.

"Mortality is very low, as is the hospitalisation rate. Something has changed big time, although the rise is still worrying," says Ildefonso Hernández, a professor in public health from Miguel Hernández University in Alicante.

I think you are missing a logical step here. If hospitalisation is lower it could be because it's the younger generation who are currently spreading. That is something to worry about because younger people meet older people and they eventually get more serious issues when infected.

We haven't got into what could be seen as the 'busy period' for respiratory diseases. It'd be best to enter autumn with as few cases as possible but youth spreading and increased blase attitude in general isn't helping that.

I would be interested to see a link to support your claim that there are "huge amounts of scientific evidence suggesting that the positive test cases are nothing to be concerned about". Not least because that is not the sort of conclusion scientists draw from their evidence - if such evidence exists, it will be being "taken to suggest, etc..." by people who aren't scientists. Which isn't quite the same thing :hmm:

You're getting very close to "fuck off, waterloowelshy" with your snide assertions about the motives of this place.
I'm just amazed at the negativity. I really am. There is lots of emerging evidence that things might not be as bad as first thought / feared. But it seems that view can't be shared here.

No welshy - people have shared a lot of positive news, but it's been backed up with references. (and it would help if you don't throw insults when people disagree)

For your first link, see elbows reply

eg:

View attachment 227369

And are people being caught earlier for example and treated outside hospital?
The overriding message from the BBC article, and elsewhere, seems to be suggesting that the majority of positive cases are now asymptomati and therefore not requiring any treatment as not even experiencing any symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom