Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General Coronavirus (COVID-19) chat

My mum's just got a weird rash on her hand. We have already had covid tho. Although you can get it twice I think, but I wouldn't have thought so quickly?
How recently did she have it? I think it can last a while with symptoms coming and going.

Was trying to think where we are compared to the begining in what we know:

Symptoms:
  • Loss of taste/smell
  • Toe/hand rash

Transmission:
  • Surface transmission is not a big issue, you don't have to wash everything coming into your house (Hygiene Theater Is a Huge Waste of Time)
  • It's needs quite a lot droplets to infect you, not just a single one
  • It's hard to catch outdoors unless you're really crammed in with others
  • Under 12s (or is it under 11s, depending who you ask) don't seem to infect as many people or one another than much
  • They seem to have realised that people working in multiple care homes isn't a good idea, but I don't know how much they're doing about it

Reinfection:

Treatment
  • Dexamethasone is looking good for reducing deaths (What drugs can help treat coronavirus?)
  • Interferon beta might be promising
  • Learned to intervene in different ways before going for ventilation

Testing:
  • Quicker turn around tests may be available
  • Group spit tests being trialled

What else?

Surface transmission is not a big issue, you don't have to wash everything coming into your house (Hygiene Theater Is a Huge Waste of Time)
Interesting article - has it been shared in the thread about washing your shopping yet?

You missed the stuff like Vitamin D deficiency correlating with worse outcomes. Not sure if there are others - aside from old age (which isn't really a health issue just a marker), obesity is the only other one I can think of that has been linked to having a worse time with Covid.

I've seen the increased prevalence with age being linked to T-Cell abundance, although that was a while ago, don't know if the thinking has changed.

I thought this was interesting from NY in the US: Almost Every Hospitalized Coronavirus Patient Has Another Underlying Health Issue, According to a Study of New York Patients

"Specific comorbidities of hospitalized patients with available EHR data, from most common to least: "

Hypertension (high blood pressure) 53%, obesity BMI >30 42%, diabetes 32%, morbid obesity BMI>35 19%, coronary artery disease 10%

What surprised me was that lung complaints asthma (8%) and COPD (5%) were relatively low on the list.

Last edited:
I've just realized that this ^^^ probably says more about the prevalence of those complaints in New York than it does about their susceptibility to coronavirus - one clue being in there being fewer people with morbid obesity than with obesity.

One of my younger workmates (in his 20s) was infected recently and had to self-isolate for a fortnight. He told me the illness felt like flu and put him to bed for about a week. He had aches and pains and no appetite and couldn't sleep at night, but dozed during the day.

He also said that doctors advised him that though he was now likely immune, it might still be the case that he could be re-infected at some point in the future, not suffer any symptoms, but be capable of infecting others.

Is this right? A kind of half-way house immunity which means you can pick up the virus again and spread it to others, while being asymptomatic yourself?

As I understand it, they just really don't know yet if having it actually gives you immunity or how long it lasts for.

Many/most people seem to have it with no symptoms but still be infectious, so really anyone at any time could have it and spread it without knowing it. It's not necessarily related to having had it before. I'd guess the GP was just trying to tell him not to assume he is now immune forever, or that you will always have symptoms if you're infectious.

One of my younger workmates (in his 20s) was infected recently and had to self-isolate for a fortnight. He told me the illness felt like flu and put him to bed for about a week. He had aches and pains and no appetite and couldn't sleep at night, but dozed during the day.

He also said that doctors advised him that though he was now likely immune, it might still be the case that he could be re-infected at some point in the future, not suffer any symptoms, but be capable of infecting others.

Is this right? A kind of half-way house immunity which means you can pick up the virus again and spread it to others, while being asymptomatic yourself?

It's largely in-line with everything I've read. There would appear that some immunity can be gained from previous infection but there are a lot of variables which are not fully understood such as age and viral load (as in how much of it you were exposed to first time around). It is also unclear how long any immunity will last and likely again to do with a lot of variables.

There has certainly been documented cases where people have got it twice though they appear to be quite rare, this could be because it only makes the news if they get it bad both times. So in this regard there could be cases of unknown numbers out there where people have got it twice and are asymptomatic the second time around (or indeed both times) and are likely still infectious.

This is why its still really odd to see some people (including professionals like Senetra Gupta I think) still basically arguing a let it rip line. That being said she is infinitely more qualified in this regard than I am.

I need to vent about this. Ma Mogden this morning was persisting in her very vocal "He's doing the best he can. No one could have done better than he has in the circumstances" about Bozo. Then in the same breath "The best person to have dealt with this so far is the NZ PM" :facepalm: So he's not doing the very best then :rolleyes:

I tried to point out the hypocrisy of him telling us this was all our fault having advocated that we eat out, drink out, work out and send the kids out. How Cummings had made a complete farce of things too. I barked about the Wetherspoons idiot Martin and his Tory donations, who she claims she has no idea of, and then she told me about the cold my niece brought back from school that my brother now has and I did point out that if she can bring cold germs home, there's other things she could be passing on too :facepalm:

I need to vent about this. Ma Mogden this morning was persisting in her very vocal "He's doing the best he can. No one could have done better than he has in the circumstances" about Bozo. Then in the same breath "The best person to have dealt with this so far is the NZ PM" :facepalm: So he's not doing the very best then
Have just had this shit too :mad:

DaddyBadgers missus has just left the family WhatsApp group because I am an 'extremist' and the left are as bad as the right.

What pisses me off is that I am aware she is less political (or active or anything) than me so I have only shared frustrations and facts. So she wrote a shitty message to the whole family then left the chat.

I know politics is tribal but she is not political and any decent human being knows this shit is not good. Even if you are right leaning surely you know this is the worst government in living history.

That bit I think she does have right :)
Thank you. I think I'll make that point next call ;)

Ma Mogden is a weekend Daily Mail reader so I'm amazed she's not heard or read of the cretin Martin. She's also of that age that makes her tremendously susceptible to all sorts of nonsense. Her Facebook feed is full of shared missing dogs & people ads from 3 years ago, special offers and competitions to win toot for likes and read between the lines racist memes. I bloody hope I'm locked down here for Christmas cos I will not be able to face Bozo wars over mince pies and sprouts. I'm not sure what is dementia and what is general idiocy.

I confuse restaurants and pubs has to shut at 10 pm that is kind of clear to me, yes lets say if customers came 8.30 need time to order food and cook and he or she not finished food until 10 pm the is problem or cutomer has to stop eating .

My mum (who is actually a Labour party member though mostly joined because she hated Corbyn :hmm: ) also hates to hear criticism of Boris - lots of conversations where she says he's done the best he could in the circumstances/other countries are just as bad etc etc.
I think it's just fear, wanting to cling on to some faith in our leadership. It's scary to think we're relying on incompetent dickheads in a crisis.

I think that I am just going to cut anyone who supports or 'gives this government a chance' out of my life completely.

Easy with mates because none of them will side with, or give any leniency to Disgraced Prime Minister Johnson and his Disgraced Government. Family less easy but if people are so short sighted then I don't want to know them.

I confuse restaurants and pubs has to shut at 10 pm that is kind of clear to me, yes lets say if customers came 8.30 need time to order food and cook and he or she not finished food until 10 pm the is problem or cutomer has to stop eating .

Yes, its going to be difficult for restaurants to manage. I guess they won't take any reservations after a certain time. I can't see them kicking anyone out mid meal but I guess they will have to lock the doors.

It appears? that in Wales there may (??) be some post-10 pm drinking up time allowed, but I've no idea of details (in pre-work rush right now) and I'm reluctant to rely on what the barman said last night! :oops:

Our changes kick in today. I'm rarely at the pub as late as 10 pm anyway ......

Frankly the pubs closing at 10pm is the most minor inconvenience of this whole shit storm. The pubs not hosting live music, limited to table service and enforcing social distancing are the issues.

Pubs are open earlier and close a lot later these days but closing at 10pm is really not an issue is it? A table service pub with no live music or social interaction can shut at 8pm frankly.

It is going to cost jobs but they would (90%) be going if pubs stayed open all night under these restrictions.

Badgers : I'm not feeling at all inconvenienced by pubs closing at 10 (just to clarify! :oops: ) -- neither will most sensible people, even pub people :D, be too bothered I'm sure.

But it does seem somewhat pointless in the broader scheme of things -- we all know infection can spread as easily on a busy Saturday afternoon ina pub, as on a quiet Wednesday evening there.

Was merely quibbling about the details here in Wales, which might? apply a little bit differently here than on England.

But yes, not too important.

Was trying to think where we are compared to the begining in what we know:

Symptoms:
  • Loss of taste/smell
  • Toe/hand rash

Transmission:
  • Surface transmission is not a big issue, you don't have to wash everything coming into your house (Hygiene Theater Is a Huge Waste of Time)
  • It's needs quite a lot droplets to infect you, not just a single one
  • It's hard to catch outdoors unless you're really crammed in with others
  • Under 12s (or is it under 11s, depending who you ask) don't seem to infect as many people or one another than much
  • They seem to have realised that people working in multiple care homes isn't a good idea, but I don't know how much they're doing about it

Reinfection:

Treatment
  • Dexamethasone is looking good for reducing deaths (What drugs can help treat coronavirus?)
  • Interferon beta might be promising
  • Learned to intervene in different ways before going for ventilation

Testing:
  • Quicker turn around tests may be available
  • Group spit tests being trialled

What else?

I was speaking with someone who runs a small independent restaurant. He told me they're having to run a reduced menu because the new closing rules mean that everyone turns up at the same time, 8pm. This is also means they can really only do one sitting per table instead of the usual two or three. Its all a bit tricky for them.

My local Co-op seems to have misread the memo. Apparently, they are not selling alcohol after 10pm, 'according to' something - ....

Back
Top Bottom