Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General aviation/airplane news and chat

Late teens/early 20's I used to fly to New York every couple of weeks, one memorable flight back to London had an orthodox Jewish fella in the departure lounge gassing on the payphone until the last moment. I was sat at the back of the plane, cos smoker, as soon as the seatbelt sign went off this same geeza rushed to the back where there was a skyphone, you swiped your credit card in it and made a call, he jumped on it. I went to sleep and as I woke up somewhere over Ireland he was still on the fucking phone. Must have cost him $1000's!

Sad news, as far as I know she was instrumental in getting the whole 2 seat warbird phenomenon approved by the CAA. Now you can go for a ride in a Spitfire, Hurricane, Mustang and a Messerschmitt should you have the £2.5 - £3k kicking around.

After all that flying it looks possible she may have been killed in a drink driving accident. The driver of the ute was taken away for mandatory testing, I guess they do that with everyone so he may be completely blameless.

Tragic loss though.

Carolyn Grace, former Spitfire pilot, has been killed in a car accident in Australia.

An announcement was made by Daisy Grace, Carolyn’s daughter-in-law, this morning: “It is with great sadness that we must announce that Carolyn Grace has been killed in a car accident on Friday the 2nd of December 2022. This is a traumatic, and unexpected, loss to all of us and at this time we would like to request that you respect the family’s privacy.”

Carolyn took on operating and flying the Grace Spitfire, ML407, after her husband Nick Grace was killed in a car accident in 1988.

Nick, an engineer as well as a pilot, rebuilt the Spitfire over five years and first flew it in 1985. ML407 is an important aircraft, flying more than 176 operational missions during WWII including combat on D-Day over Normandy.

Carolyn told the BBC in 2011, ” To keep our Spitfire operational and keep it for the embodiment of my husband I had to learn to fly it. There had to be another Grace in the cockpit.”

Carolyn made her first solo flight in the Spitfire in 1990 and went on to earn her Display Authorisation and flew the aircraft at airshows and flypasts.

There’s loads of spitfires flown out of Headcorn airfield which is about five miles from where my Dad lives so I see and hear them every day when I visit.

Didn’t know they cost that much! I’m probably too heavy to go up in one anyway

There’s loads of spitfires flown out of Headcorn airfield which is about five miles from where my Dad lives so I see and hear them every day when I visit.

Didn’t know they cost that much! I’m probably too heavy to go up in one anyway

Classic Wings limits are
Maximum Height 6ft 6 inches (198cm), no minimum height.
Maximum weight 230 lb, 105Kg

for your future reference :D

Finally, an end to the '100ml maximum' rule is in sight. And having to get laptops out of hand luggage too. A source of irritation for years to anybody who has travelled by air. I've actually already experienced those new fangled scanners via London City airport which don't require any removing of anything from hand luggage and they are so much better.

More on this on the BBC today

The government has set a deadline of June 2024 for most UK airports to install new high-tech 3D scanners, that show more detailed images of baggage.
The changes will see the 100ml liquid rule increased to two litres and mean passengers won't need to remove electrical items from bags at security.

That’s an interesting crash! Maybe the initial bump on the ground knocked one of the vectored thrust nozzles into the wrong position. Will be a good bunfight to see who pays for the damage, since the plane was on a proving flight and still owned by the manufacturer at this stage.

Last edited:

I’d be interested to see accident statistics for the various acrobatic military display squadrons in the world. Everyone likes to see the amazing stunts they perform, but then again most people would be just as happy to see any flypast even if it didn’t feature daring acrobatics.

No point for such teams to try to push the envelope that hard if it’s likely to cause a fatality every decade or so. Seems like an extravagance and a needless vanity exercise, when such incredibly skilful but highly risky bit of flying would be mostly lost on the crowds watching on the ground. And who’d very likely be more impressed with a safe formation painting multi colour contrails than with a close flying formation anyway.

I’d be interested to see accident statistics for the various acrobatic military display squadrons in the world. Everyone likes to see the amazing stunts they perform, but then again most people would be just as happy to see any flypast even if it didn’t feature daring acrobatics.

No point for such teams to try to push the envelope that hard if it’s likely to cause a fatality every decade or so. Seems like an extravagance and a needless vanity exercise, when such incredibly skilful but highly risky bit of flying would be mostly lost on the crowds watching on the ground. And who’d very likely be more impressed with a safe formation painting multi colour contrails than with a close flying formation anyway.
With that in mind, I wonder whether it's worth mentioning this.....

"Interesting" to see the coronor came up with a different view to the pilot's trial.

I am a cynic and I can't help thinking the pilot was deliberately showing off, with a view to scaring the people who had gathered there to watch the display without paying. No-one will ever know unless the pilot somehow regains his memory and coughs.

I guess this doesn't reopen the case against the pilot, does it?

"Interesting" to see the coronor came up with a different view to the pilot's trial.

I am a cynic and I can't help thinking the pilot was deliberately showing off, with a view to scaring the people who had gathered there to watch the display without paying. No-one will ever know unless the pilot somehow regains his memory and coughs.

I could be wrong, but it has always seemed to me that other than bringing closure and a sense of justice to the relatives (which is a good enough reason to conduct them imo anyway), such judicial inquiries in the UK seldom have any legal consequences. I suspect in the likes of the US however, someone previously cleared of criminal charges being subsequently found liable in a civil inquiry would be far more likely to lead to a tsunami of lawsuits.

Only got off cos he had a good brief who could sow benefit of doubt with a jury of general public. Cunt willfully broke about a dozen different rules and people died as a result

Only got off cos he had a good brief who could sow benefit of doubt with a jury of general public. Cunt willfully broke about a dozen different rules and people died as a result
I was appalled at the verdict.

My problem with lawyers is that being good at arguing doesn't make you right. Lawyers do very good work some of the time but some of the time they also do incalculable wrong.

My brief was fucking useless! :facepalm: 🤣

I’d be interested to see accident statistics for the various acrobatic military display squadrons in the world.

It's pretty bad. Being in the Red Arrows is easily the most dangerous posting you can get in the British armed forces. Basically a 7% chance of being killed in your three year stint.

The Blue Angels aren't significantly more dangerous than anyone else but they are flying bigger, heavier, faster jets than anyone else in way closer formations. It's a testament to how seriously they take it that they aren't killing pilots frequently the because the close formation flying in that Twitter clip was fucking insane.

Back
Top Bottom