Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General aviation/airplane news and chat

Major incident in Lima yesterday. I've heard of planes colliding with obstacles on the runway before (or another plane), but this one was between an A320 starting to rotate hitting a fire engine that had entered the runway at full speed :eek:

Sadly two firefighers are said to have died, but it is a minor miracle in itself that the plane didn't break up and exploded in a big fireball, let alone that all the crew and passengers walked off unharmed.

It's good to see that some passengers remained perfectly calmed and relaxed during the crisis and evacuation, to the point where they felt it'd be a shame not to take a selfie and rack up those Instagram likes...

Blimey. Major props to the pilot (more likely the first officer though?) for managing to bring the plane to a stop in a reasonably safe environment

Seems lack massive lack of situational awareness from someone. Presumably the fire crew like the flight deck are plugged into air traffic control comms so should only go where they’re told to when they’re told to

Blimey. Major props to the pilot (more likely the first officer though?) for managing to bring the plane to a stop in a reasonably safe environment

Seems lack massive lack of situational awareness from someone. Presumably the fire crew like the flight deck are plugged into air traffic control comms so should only go where they’re told to when they’re told to
I can only imagine they got disoriented. You don't need to be a trained professional to conclude that if you work airside at an airport, you just don't enter an active runway under any circumstances unless cleared to do so.

Could even be something like medical episode by the driver of the fire truck?
I think you can just about see the truck starting to take evasive action a second or two before it’s hit, so I reckon he was well and in control. Clearly attending an emergency though, travelling at full speed and another fire engine following it. So if I had to speculate I’d say in an emergency call-out and got lost or was given the wrong instructions.

Finally, an end to the '100ml maximum' rule is in sight. And having to get laptops out of hand luggage too. A source of irritation for years to anybody who has travelled by air. I've actually already experienced those new fangled scanners via London City airport which don't require any removing of anything from hand luggage and they are so much better.

I'm all for it, but don't understand how 3D technology however advanced can tell the chemical composition of liquids inside bottles?

Exactly, they said on the news that they can now highlight bottles and turn the picture around. So what? Either it can tell if the liquid is explosive or it can't. Almost as if the whole concept of airport security is a total farce :hmm:

The 3D tomographic scanners provide a better (than traditional planar X-ray), clearer view of bag contents and enable faster interpretation (so permitting everything to be left in the bag). This is being augmented by AI (an extensive training library) in order to better spot items of interest - not just weapons but particular assemblies of materials. Using dual energy, that CT should provide better discrimination of, in particular, CNO based materials and organic v inorganic, which it can then flag to the operator, particularly where it (the AI) identifies particular screening materials/arrangements. Doubtless this is part of a better integrated security arrangement where items of interest are flagged for further inspection (physical, ion mobility sampling, etc) to determine actual materials present.

So it's mainly about not having to unpack your bags again so often. It might help facilitate the carrying of larger quantities of liquids, however I suspect that airport operators might be rather loathe to disrupt a captive airside revenue stream.

The checks were for liquid explosives following Op Overt ( I think) which would still require a detonator or similar activator which the powers that be are obviously hoping to pick up on the scans.

However, I often wondered if a couple of pints of petrol lobbed over the cockpit door or galley and followed up with a match would have the desired ( by the psychopathic god botherer and their handlers) result…

Last edited:
Mmm... it sounds as if the end of 'airplane mode' for mobile phones is nigh...

Not sure how to feel about this. I enjoy the fact that you know you will never have to experience (until now at least) being seated on an airplane next to some twat talking bollocks loudly on their phone, as it can happen on trains or buses.

Mmm... it sounds as if the end of 'airplane mode' for mobile phones is nigh...

Not sure how to feel about this. I enjoy the fact that you know you will never have to experience (until now at least) being seated on an airplane next to some twat talking bollocks loudly on their phone, as it can happen on trains or buses.
I saw this but it felt like no news at all, about 5/6 years ago I used to frequently fly to Malaysia with Qatar and they had cells aboard the plane that you could use after take off. I seem to remember that they wouldn't let you make calls but would alow text and data. I admit they weren't 5G but that's not a major change really

I saw this but it felt like no news at all, about 5/6 years ago I used to frequently fly to Malaysia with Qatar and they had cells aboard the plane that you could use after take off. I seem to remember that they wouldn't let you make calls but would alow text and data. I admit they weren't 5G but that's not a major change really
Most airlines allow you to use some WiFi-enabled services, but not WiFi phone calls, for the sake of some peace and quiet. This however sounds as if people might be free to use their phones as they please, and in the same manner as if they were on land. Which would be a pain in the arse.

Most airlines allow you to use some WiFi-enabled services, but not WiFi phone calls, for the sake of some peace and quiet. This however sounds as if people might be free to use their phones as they please, and in the same manner as if they were on land. Which would be a pain in the arse.
I meant that Qatar were providing 3G (might have been 4G)on their plane rather than wifi but didn't alow voice calls on that network. I think its main advantage to them over WiFi was it could recharge you through roaming deals rather than sign up for most people. The article mentions pico cells so I don't see why this would be any different. While the technical work rounds for any blocks probably aren't thay difficult the prohibition notice and air crew seems to work well enough at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom