Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General aviation/airplane news and chat

Was that the hailstorm? Saw that on Reddit looked scary
Yes. Apparently they had diverted and landed somewhere to wait out the storm, but it was taking too long to clear and the captain decided to resume the flight because of regulations regarding how many hours can the crew work before a mandatory rest.

This isn’t good, is it
View attachment 349868
Só, day two of this travel. The airline app was wonderful at booking me on an alternate flight this morning, which will just about give me time to inspect the ship I’m going to see. It also wanted to check my bag all the way through…back to Rio with no stops on the way. I’m glad they are relaxed about liquids in hand baggage here.

Freaky looking thing.
Even though Nevada residents should be fully used to the possibility of seeing strange craft in the sky that are not of extraterrestrial origin but simply a next generation military jet from the secret airbase down the road, I’d imagine initial sightings of the B2 must have been mind blowing.

Interesting that even as we’re not far from entering the era of the unmanned fighter, and ballistic missiles get faster and more difficult to shoot down than ever before, Uncle Sam USAF values the concept of manned stealth bombers highly enough to have commissioned a next gen replacement of the B-2, due in about five years apparently.

Apparently the smaller plane had dropped out of a formation with some others, suspected mechanical or medical issue. Sadly (and not unexpectedly) both crews dead.

I’ve never been to an airshow. My father was at Farnborough in 1952…he would have been 13…it’s one of the things he never talked about.

I’m not sure they will ever be safe. Antique planes with elderly pilots.
My dad mentioned it to me once. He was there and maybe 9. He said he missed being killed by about 20 yards.

The exit from the central motorcycle parking bay at Heathrow, by the Hilton hotel near T3, takes you out on an elevated ramp right by some of the gates. As I drove off the other night, there was a Qantas A380 parked so close it felt you could almost touch it from the road.

What a breathtakingly magnificent beast that aircraft is, especially so close up to it and at near cockpit level. She obviously is an acquired taste looks-wise for many, from some angles at least, but to me is absolutely awe inspiring, and an amazing feat of engineering. And by the sound of it, the all-time greatest passenger favourite subsonic plane. Have never flown on one yet, but I will make the point to do so even if I don’t need to before it’s retired.

The exit from the central motorcycle parking bay at Heathrow, by the Hilton hotel near T3, takes you out on an elevated ramp right by some of the gates. As I drove off the other night, there was a Qantas A380 parked so close it felt you could almost touch it from the road.

What a breathtakingly magnificent beast that aircraft is, especially so close up to it and at near cockpit level. She obviously is an acquired taste looks-wise for many, from some angles at least, but to me is absolutely awe inspiring, and an amazing feat of engineering. And by the sound of it, the all-time greatest passenger favourite subsonic plane. Have never flown on one yet, but I will make the point to do so even if I don’t need to before it’s retired.

Before they fucked around with the car parks at T4, (and before T5 came to be) you used to drop off right outside the very front of the terminal, immediately to your left could be 3 or 4 BA or Qantas 747's lined up in a row, first one less that 100' away, always a great sight :thumbs:

I went on one a couple of times with Malaysia Airlines - loved being able to sit on the top deck, always seemed to be a bit more spacious and comfortable, although you couldn't sit at the front and pretend to be the pilot, like you can with double decker buses.

Sadly, Malaysia Airlines have sold theirs off now, so probably won't be able to go on one anytime soon (family in Malaysia means it's a regular trip).

I went on one a couple of times with Malaysia Airlines - loved being able to sit on the top deck, always seemed to be a bit more spacious and comfortable, although you couldn't sit at the front and pretend to be the pilot, like you can with double decker buses.

Sadly, Malaysia Airlines have sold theirs off now, so probably won't be able to go on one anytime soon (family in Malaysia means it's a regular trip).

It always seems a lot quieter upstairs too IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom