Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General aviation/airplane news and chat

And when I said "hear" I now mean "heard" as, like me, she's taking early retirement . . . tomorrow in her case

In a civvie job you would expect to get the sack. What kind of consequences a human error like this might have in the military? Dock in wages? Demotion? A period in military brig? Dishonourable discharge? A combination of the above?

If the cover into the inlet story is true then more than one person didn't do their job. Ultimately the carrier's Cdr (Air) should carry the can as they failed to create a culture in which people were diligent.

Generally being involved in very expensive aviation mishaps is no bar to future advancement in the British forces. The US, by contrast, generally run a ruthless and much healthier blame culture.

Let’s assume that an air intake blank was not removed before engine start and that that was the cause of this extremely expensive accident. Why all these cries of “someone will have to be punished” ? Writing an instruction to remove the blank was the laziest, cheapest, and least reliable way of preventing this debacle. It should have been made impossible to start the engine with the blank in place at aircraft or blank design level.

Four things:
1. It's not an accident (see: Road Traffic Collision)
2. I bought that plane with my taxes
3. It's peace time. There is zero excuse for this happening
4. At least a Navy captain would've done the honourable thing and gone down with his ship

Four things:
4. At least a Navy captain would've done the honourable thing and gone down with his ship
1. Lessons learnt
2. Complacency over precedurures revised.
3. One highly skilled pilot lucky to be alive.
4. YOU ARE A CUNT.

Four things:
The blame culture won't fix anything. Look the the Mentour Pilot channel on YouTube where he goes into commercial aircraft crashes and incidents, in nearly everyone a method of working is changed or training improved. It's very rarely just blaming the flight crew.

One simple example that passengers get to see every flight is the Flight Attendants are told "Arm Doors and Crosscheck"

They are told to do this and not just relying on just doing the arming when they feel like it
They have to check the FA opposite them have done it too in case the other person didn't hear, was distracted by a passenger at that moment. This is to set up a safety system that is very unlikely to be used anyway due to all the other safety systems in place.

So for a multi million pound fighter jet with an item that is a single point of catastrophic failure, there should be systems in place to prevent this from happening which rely on checks by more than one person.

Bahnhof Strasse I have a bit of a dilemma and would be interested in your input.

We’re going to Madrid late 23/24 Dec returning 26th. I had to wait for ages for my OH to confirm whether she could come, and by the time we were ready to book last week we were already looking at the best part of £500 each with BA, or at least £350 with everyone else (won’t do Ryanair though).

If Omicron and the travel outlook gets worse, are tickets prices remotely likely to go down? And on the flip side, if things don’t get worse could tickets get significantly more expensive than nearly half grand, or even worse sell out? I’m torn between buying now and regretting ‘wasting’ a grand on two return flights to bloody Madrid if we’re not allowed to fly after all, or wait a couple of weeks to see what the Covid situation is only to have to pay £600 or more per head, or worse not find tickets at all.

Bahnhof Strasse I have a bit of a dilemma and would be interested in your input.

We’re going to Madrid late 23/24 Dec returning 26th. I had to wait for ages for my OH to confirm whether she could come, and by the time we were ready to book last week we were already looking at the best part of £500 each with BA, or at least £350 with everyone else (won’t do Ryanair though).

If Omicron and the travel outlook gets worse, are tickets prices remotely likely to go down? And on the flip side, if things don’t get worse could tickets get significantly more expensive than nearly half grand, or even worse sell out? I’m torn between buying now and regretting ‘wasting’ a grand on two return flights to bloody Madrid if we’re not allowed to fly after all, or wait a couple of weeks to see what the Covid situation is only to have to pay £600 or more per head, or worse not find tickets at all.
My guess, worth no more than yours. I don't think prices will go down much. If things get much worse travel will be business only again. If it turns out Optimus Prime isn't that much of an increased risk then prices will go up. I'd buy the £350 ones...

My guess, worth no more than yours. I don't think prices will go down much. If things get much worse travel will be business only again. If it turns out Optimus Prime isn't that much of an increased risk then prices will go up. I'd buy the £350 ones...
Thing is I’ve get so many horror stories with vouchers/ refunds in case of Covid cancellations, I’d rather spend £150 more per head with BA, because at least they seem to be far more flexible and efficient with vouchers than the low costs.

Won't get cheaper, but...

£319.72 each, out eco with one checked bag each, back business
AAA.JPG

Thanks. We both have to work on the 23rd so only an evening departure would do. Well, we could try to get the day off, which we might have to at the rate…

Fussy sods. Anything later is £512.

If you want the earlier, cheaper one held PM me the names. btw the return is Iberia A350, business class...
I’ve called my OH and it’s a hard no from her work about taking the 23rd off, so that’s off the cards now. Thank you for the offer though!

Back
Top Bottom