Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General aviation/airplane news and chat

“In an area outside of controlled airspace”.

I didn’t know such thing existed in a country like the USA. I guess it means that so long as you stay within said area you don’t need to notify your flight plans to the air control authorities?

Want some Aviation relate swag, whilst helping a good cause?

Pilots together raffle

Fancy winning Red 9's flying suit? A flight in a Tiger Moth? A piece of a 747? Buy your tickets before December 5th to enter the
@PilotsTogether 2021 raffle and support pilots in need http://pilotstogether.org/raffle
Be interested to see what happens the third lot goes for 🤔

This limited edition picture of the iconic Concorde was carried on her final retirement celebration flights in 2003. Signed by Captain Mike Bannister, chief pilot from 1995-2003, this piece captures the essence of cruising in the stratosphere at twice the speed of sound. With a certificate of authenticity for her final sectors, this is a nice memento from her time in service

“In an area outside of controlled airspace”.

I didn’t know such thing existed in a country like the USA. I guess it means that so long as you stay within said area you don’t need to notify your flight plans to the air control authorities?

This is Australia. We've got an abundance of uncontrolled air space.

What they are specifically referring to in this case is that it's outside the training area associated with RAAF Pearce and RAAF Gingin so you're not going to get splashed by a Super Hornet or F-35 above your own house.

Be interested to see what happens the third lot goes for 🤔
Raffle - so it will go for £1 (or less if you buy more than 5 tickets)
Of course, only some ticket holders will win anything

But - suspect I'm misunderstanding the point?

Ah - got it.
Well let's hope your's in the only other one in existence and it has massive rarity value, so we make lots of lovely ticket sales.

Lots of people REALLY want the window from a 747 or a chance to drive a train.

I find that strange, but I'm in a minority in the aviation world, it seems

Ah - got it.
Well let's hope your's in the only other one in existence and it has massive rarity value, so we make lots of lovely ticket sales.

Lots of people REALLY want the window from a 747 or a chance to drive a train.

I find that strange, but I'm in a minority in the aviation world, it seems
Yeah. I don't get it either, but understand people (collector's) have such interests.

Good to see a flurry of orders and commitments at the Dubai Air Show. About 400 so far between Airbus and Boeing so far. Impressive given that we’re still nowhere near the end of the pandemic.

When international travel came to a stop pretty much everywhere in early 2020, I wondered what percentage of the world’s airlines would still exist one or two years down the line. Even though there have have been hardships, bailouts and whatnot, I must say the industry has weathered the pandemic a lot better than I’d feared it would :)

Flybe are returning in early 2022

And

Meh, it's just stuff.

Flying is dangerous, flying over water is more dangerous, and flying a new type over water is even more dangerous...

The US Navy lost about 1 in 6 of its F-14 Tomcats to accidents.

There'll probably be a recovery attempt - the aircraft is a write-off, but no one will want a Russian 'fishing vessel' to accidentally drag it up in their nets.

Meh, it's just stuff.

Flying is dangerous, flying over water is more dangerous, and flying a new type over water is even more dangerous...

There'll probably be a recovery attempt - the aircraft is a write-off, but no one will want a Russian 'fishing vessel' to accidentally drag it up in their nets.
Damage will no doubt T Cut out

The F14 wasn’t all that reliable a machine was it? The one that ‘exploded’ whilst breaking the sound barrier comes to mind.

I hope this F35 was being pushed to its limits during some war games or suchlike, as opposed to being a bog standard engine failure during stable flight, because the latter wouldn’t be good enough with a model as new and advanced as this.

Meh, it's just stuff.

Like many other military aircraft the F-14 started with a very bad accident record that gradually improved over its operational life. It was always very difficult to land, especially the earlier TF30 engined models which had poor throttle response.

By the end it was almost as safe as the Legacy Hornet (naval aviation safety gold standard).

Back
Top Bottom