Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General aviation/airplane news and chat

FEg8HOsXsAYfmoo

Meh, it's just stuff.

Flying is dangerous, flying over water is more dangerous, and flying a new type over water is even more dangerous...
this. If they make it back to
The US Navy lost about 1 in 6 of its F-14 Tomcats to accidents.

There'll probably be a recovery attempt - the aircraft is a write-off, but no one will want a Russian 'fishing vessel' to accidentally drag it up in their nets.
This, if make it back to Portsmouth having only lost 1 aircraft (and no pilots) on an extended tour doing well

Last edited:
If it was a US pilot who ditched it in the drink do we get a partial refund on the hardware?

I know I am not a pilot and even as a keen amateur I have fuck all right to question events I have no expertise on, but isn’t it at least somewhat puzzling for a modern plane to ditch shortly after takeoff even at sea? Certainly if it was a routine training exercise, which presumably would not go ahead if the weather conditions had turned nasty. I can get things going wrong during actual war game manoeuvres, but a crash shortly after takeoff in assumed benign weather conditions would suggest either a significant human error or an even more significant hardware failure.

I know I am not a pilot and even as a keen amateur I have fuck all right to question events I have no expertise on, but isn’t it at least somewhat puzzling for a modern plane to ditch shortly after takeoff even at sea? Certainly if it was a routine training exercise, which presumably would not go ahead if the weather conditions had turned nasty. I can get things going wrong during actual war game manoeuvres, but a crash shortly after takeoff in assumed benign weather conditions would suggest either a significant human error or an even more significant hardware failure.

They left a cover on it which got sucked into the lift fan and presumably destroyed it.

isn’t it at least somewhat puzzling for a modern plane to ditch shortly after takeoff even at sea?
As per DD sounds like it could be a "remove before flight" failure. More generally, statistically riskiest portions of flight are (i) take-off/climb-out and (ii) descent/landing. Because (i) prep errors/failure at start-up/power settings/fuel load and (ii) fatigue/resource exhaustion/mechanical wear/power settings, but also proximity to Mother Earth and other traffic ie safety margin reductions. (See 'Bathtub Curve').

Last edited:
Aircraft carriers are usually moving into the wind to aid take offs when launching aren't they (DD)?

Imagine that thing bearing down on you whilst all tangled up in a parachute. :eek:

Last edited:
I was thinking similar, it must be said - I could understand things like this happening when "at war" - but peace time, when the risks are known - not so sympathetic, I'll be honest

Some of the stories I hear from Mrs Voltz - granted, mainly concerning the Army and how kit gets treated / mis-treated really do piss me off a bit, especially, when I'm paying for it . . . all, personally

Back
Top Bottom