Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

General aviation/airplane news and chat

so, 20 days to go and France now require a pre-departure PCR test...which is fine....except I've booked on the 26th December, perhaps the worst day imaginable to test in the preceding 48 hours. :facepalm: My PCR lady, Pricilla (yes, we are on first name terms) has promised to have a nurse at my flat at 0800 and a result in time for the 1630 flight. We will then have to test again to fly from Paris to Porto, and from Porto back home to Brazil. I wonder if this increases the chance of an affordable upgrade:D

Or maybe I should just postpone everything a few months.
We’re on a similar predicament. We’re meant to go to Madrid on Xmas eve retuning on the 26th. I can’t imagine getting a PCR test on Christmas Day would be likely…

We’re on a similar predicament. We’re meant to go to Madrid on Xmas eve retuning on the 26th. I can’t imagine getting a PCR test on Christmas Day would be likely…
I think most international airports have places to test...I'm just trying to avoid having to hang around the airport all day. It would be a lot of faff for a weekend, I would imagine.

I think most international airports have places to test...I'm just trying to avoid having to hang around the airport all day. It would be a lot of faff for a weekend, I would imagine.

They do, I was looking at getting tests for our trip to Ireland on the 22nd and Money Saving expert have a comprehensive list, with some discount codes!

You only need an antigen test for your return to the U.K., the PCR is once you’re back in Blighty.

In the morning hours the radio delivered a message informing the crew that Pearl Harbor had been attacked. The crew was instructed to implement Plan A.

The Captain was veteran Pan American pilot Bob Ford, and he knew exactly what to do, reports the Washington Post. He pulled a sealed envelope from his jacket. Inside were instructions that the crew was not to let the advanced aircraft fall into enemy hands.

Once the plane touched down in Auckland and the passengers disembarked, the crew faced a challenge. They were instructed to strip the plane of identifying marks, then fly west. Their destination: New York City.

Not unknown in Scotland either:

ImEnV183-p319.jpg

And I think I remember that the RAF had some towable jet-based snow clearers that were only remaindered to surplus in the early 2000s.

Not unknown in Scotland either:

ImEnV183-p319.jpg

And I think I remember that the RAF had some towable jet-based snow clearers that were only remaindered to surplus in the early 2000s.

The RAF used ex Meteor Derwents mounted on an AEC truck. They were fucking dangerous when used on British snow (as opposed to Russian or Canadian deep snow) as we often get light snowfalls that then freeze. The MRD would send shards of ice flying around the airfield at lethal speeds posing great risk to man and machine. They were retired in the 80s when chemical de-icing became effective.

A seismic day today in the narrowbody market. Blue chip Qantas and KLM, previously all-Boeing (for their NB fleet), have just switched to Airbus

FWIW, British Airways’ parent company has issued a tender for new NBs, and rumour has it Boeing might win the lion’s share of the order. But even if that happened, the 737 MAX seems a lost cause in a head to head battle with the mighty A321 NEO, even with established Boeing customers.

New Boeing NB airplane to be announced soon?

What, even greater than that time when you went to Euston at 7 am to witness the last ever arrival of a night train from Scotland that was using older coaches than those that would be employed from then on?
That moment felt portentous for sure, but can't compare to how I felt last night when I read about the changes to blue chip company purchasing policy that you revealed to us. It did feel like the earth had moved under our feet and I'm not sure I've quite recovered yet.

Rubbish, what about that time you found out about Moomin slash fiction websites. You deviant.
If you can point me to any Moomin slash fiction that also features the international narrowbody market, and maybe someone senior from KLM's procurement division, please do go ahead.

If you can point me to any Moomin slash fiction that also features the international narrowbody market, and maybe someone senior from KLM's procurement division, please do go ahead.

No point trying to hide your perverted hobby here. All decent people know you wrote ‘SnorkMaiden uses her charms to persuade Pieter. Eltbets buy CFM International CFM 56-5 engines for his single aisle body mid hail fleet.’

That moment felt portentous for sure, but can't compare to how I felt last night when I read about the changes to blue chip company purchasing policy that you revealed to us. It did feel like the earth had moved under our feet and I'm not sure I've quite recovered yet.
One can only hope a freight train pulled by not one but two diesel locomotives that are somewhat older than newer models will soon march past your window, and the extremely soothing and gratifying effect of such a magestic sight will ease up your current state of trepidation.

One can only hope a freight train pulled by not one but two diesel locomotives that are somewhat older than newer models will soon march past your window, and the extremely soothing and gratifying effect of such a magestic sight will ease up your current state of trepidation.
Actually just yesterday there was a train hauled by two class 69 locomotives, which attracted the attention of many rail enthusiasts in the southeast of England. These locomotives are currently somewhat rare and have brand new engines installed into much older bodies. I did see this, and the experience was soothing and gratifying although I would not quite say majestic, but it did not reach the "seismic" heights of last night's news from the aviation procurement world.

Last night I could barely get to sleep as my mind was full of distressing images of disappointed Boeing shareholders, only partially counteracted by those of jubilant Airbus ones. I am sure that I was not the only one shaken by the revelations.

Actually just yesterday there was a train hauled by two class 69 locomotives, which attracted the attention of many rail enthusiasts in the southeast of England. These locomotives are currently somewhat rare and have brand new engines installed into much older bodies. I did see this, and the experience was soothing and gratifying although I would not quite say majestic, but it did not reach the "seismic" heights of last night's news from the aviation procurement world.
Enraging and disappointing that such a remarkable occurrence that pleased so many rail enthusiasts in the southeast of England didn't receive the media coverage it richly deserved. Frankly it's nothing short of an outrage than the likes of Reuters, Bloomberg or the BBC didn't relegate news of two major multi-billion Pound scoop deals in the same day to a mere footnote, well below the far more significant event of two ageing locomotives making a working appearance in the UK rail network.

The trainspotting community has been overlooked by the mainstream media for far too long, I tell you :mad:

The day before, often it offers upgrades during online check in. However that flight is only showing 5 seats left in business right now, so probably won't get an upgrade...
They want US$1,600 each for an upgrade, which is too much…interestingly the lady at AF says the flight is still pretty full. I’m amazed there are still so many people managing to jump through the hoops…we have online passenger locator forms, passes sanitaire, PCR tests booked…I hope this is going to happen in 52 hour’s time.

Yeah it is still busy. And yes people are going through loads of hoops and you can never be too certain until you’re in the air tasting that first drink!

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom