Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

GB News: a thread so you never have to watch it

Celibacy of the priesthood in the RC Church isn't dogma. It's quite common (even though the events themselves are rare) for a married priest from another denomination to be allowed to convert to Catholicism and remain married. However, you can't be a married layperson and expect to become an RC priest, and under no circumstances whatsoever can an RC priest get married after ordination.
To be more precise married priests can convert to Catholicism and remain priests. Also, there is the issue of the Uniate churches: autonomous churches with their own Patriarchs that have been integrated into the broader Roman Communion. These follow Orthodox and Eastern traditions including ordaining married men to the Priesthood.

There is a district in Calabria which was settled by Albanian refugees 500 years ago where many of the priests are married

What you say is correct - but I'm looking from the Anglican perspective - why did he do it?
He is apparently devoted to Anglican traditional liturgy, and doesn't mind women priests or bishops.

Nigel Farage of course probably hasn't been to church since his Dulwich College days, and was not able to ask the right questions to uncover the mystery.
He's a reactionary homophobic old fuck who is bitter about not becoming Archbishop of York or Canterbury.

What you say is correct - but I'm looking from the Anglican perspective - why did he do it?
He is apparently devoted to Anglican traditional liturgy, and doesn't mind women priests or bishops.

Nigel Farage of course probably hasn't been to church since his Dulwich College days, and was not able to ask the right questions to uncover the mystery.

He wrote an article about it, in the Daily Mail. I guess Farage didn't read it beforehand.

This interview between smarmy Dan Wooton and Tim Rice (Jesus Christ Superstar/Evita lyricist) was I thought an example of a gentleman avoiding crass traps from an interviewer.

No wonder GB News is in love with Farage, including 'The Political Correction' which he co-hosts, he takes the top 6 spots in the latest BARB viewing figures, even the Saturday compilation/repeat of his 'Talking Pints' feature beats all other shows, which must be gutting for all the other presenters.

Meanwhile the 'Brazier' show, replacement for the Andrew Neil show, fails to make an appearance in the Top 15, and the 'Great British Breakfast', the most sane show, only manages to get one appearance.

View attachment 291243

Meanwhile their weekly reach has finally dropped below 1m.

View attachment 291244

That was from three weeks ago, and viewing figures continue to go south, w/e 17/10 and the weekly reach has dropped to a record low of 855,000 / 1.41%, with average daily minutes down to just 21 seconds, so much for their plans to beat Sky News. :D

2c.png

So, how's their special super star presenter performing?

Well, Farage, still takes the top five positions, but compared to 3 weeks ago, his most rated show has dropped from 106,500 to 79,700, no. 2 from 94,000 to 66,400, no. 3 from 85,100 to 63,800, no, 4 from 81,000 to 59,100, and his co-hosted Political Correction show down from 57,800 to 42,800 - impressive drops all round. :thumbs:

2cc.png

Then there's more decreases across the rest of their Top 15 shows, with position 15 down from 34,500 to just 27,300.

In other news, OFCOM has launched their first investigation into GB News, whereas before they have just rejected the public's complaints, it concerns Farage's Talking Pints segment of his show on Monday 23rd August, which was apparently with darts legend Bobby George, there's no details of exactly what they are investigating.

2c.png

I notice Farage had David Starkey on Talikng Pints recently. Recommended to me on YouTube, but I couldn't go through with it. Can't stand either of those two.

So you've never seen a concrete tree? :rolleyes:

iu

Interesting you can be a loopy right wing channel with the approval of OFCOM, but Google/Youtube have taken down loopy left wingers Novara Media.
Any back-story we need to know?

Interesting you can be a loopy right wing channel with the approval of OFCOM, but Google/Youtube have taken down loopy left wingers Novara Media.
Any back-story we need to know?

TalkRadio was deleted earlier in the year too (nothing to do with concrete trees as far as I understand. Not sure what is behind it this time with Novara Media.
A billionaire got a bee in his bonnet about something, maybe?

edit: cheers, belboid - got to be careful with dem algoriddims...

Someone representing Jersey fisherman was on the radio the other day saying that they hadn't experienced this sort of aggression from the French government since 1943.

Not sure what happened in 1943. De Gaulle must have said something really rude in one of his BBC broadcasts.

Someone representing Jersey fisherman was on the radio the other day saying that they hadn't experienced this sort of aggression from the French government since 1943.

Not sure what happened in 1943. De Gaulle must have said something really rude in one of his BBC broadcasts.
Someone got their date wrong. It was occupied by Germany then German occupation of the Channel Islands - Wikipedia

I suspect it would have been the Vichy government :D. That's some wondrous self-owning right there!

Celibacy of the priesthood in the RC Church isn't dogma. It's quite common (even though the events themselves are rare) for a married priest from another denomination to be allowed to convert to Catholicism and remain married. However, you can't be a married layperson and expect to become an RC priest, and under no circumstances whatsoever can an RC priest get married after ordination.
And Priestdaddy by Patricia Lockwood is one of the best books I've read over the last year. It's a memoir about living with her dad, who also happens to be a converted catholic priest. Genuinely funny

A friend's dad who was an actual Anglican Bishop has recently converted to Catholicism, and I was wondering whether they would let him carry on priesting. Seems a bit weird, there's a lot of liturgical differences beyond celibacy. The homophobes need a safe port in a storm though I guess.

Reactions: tim
That was from three weeks ago, and viewing figures continue to go south, w/e 17/10 and the weekly reach has dropped to a record low of 855,000 / 1.41%, with average daily minutes down to just 21 seconds, so much for their plans to beat Sky News. :D

View attachment 294203

So, how's their special super star presenter performing?

Well, Farage, still takes the top five positions, but compared to 3 weeks ago, his most rated show has dropped from 106,500 to 79,700, no. 2 from 94,000 to 66,400, no. 3 from 85,100 to 63,800, no, 4 from 81,000 to 59,100, and his co-hosted Political Correction show down from 57,800 to 42,800 - impressive drops all round. :thumbs:

View attachment 294205

Then there's more decreases across the rest of their Top 15 shows, with position 15 down from 34,500 to just 27,300.
Half them viewing figures is cupid_stunt looking for snippets to put in this thread

A friend's dad who was an actual Anglican Bishop has recently converted to Catholicism, and I was wondering whether they would let him carry on priesting. Seems a bit weird, there's a lot of liturgical differences beyond celibacy. The homophobes need a safe port in a storm though I guess.
Priesting is fine, bishopping is off the cards unless his wife dies.

Presumably your friend's dad is the infamous flying Bishop of Ebsfleet. The only other bishop aside from the embittered bishop of Rochester to be turned recently.

Last edited:
Didn’t Tony Blair, who was another kind of minister, convert to Roman Catholicism? Must have been feeling guilty about something

Back
Top Bottom