Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

GB News: a thread so you never have to watch it

Left Wing media? Novara, Owen Jones, Ash Sarkar, Grace Blakely etc. (very limited etc, they're generally the chosen victims for the more general media).

Sure, let me just pre-empt what I'm guessing the assumption is - no I don't think the media in general is a Left wing entity, take that as read.

I was surprised to hear of the existence of a left wing media, outside of a handful of fringe liberals, conspiracy-nuts and the odd pet lefty.

As I said, chosen victims. 'Pet lefty' works as well though. A handful of individuals who get mainstream coverage so the usual suspects can shout them down and be predictably incredulous. Although from what I can see that small minority are more than willing to play the same game, which is why they'll turn Murdoch News into a fixation for their followers no matter how irrelevant it (hopefully) ends up being.

I think he genuinely, truly, believed that GBN would be a fully formed entity to immediately do battle against the "establishment". I think he genuinely thought that people would go from venting on Twitter to sitting down to watch every day.

What he got instead was two-fold: a realisation that the target audience was actually extreme, anti - everything types, not the traditional conservatives he was aiming for ; and that you can build all the new fresh gleaming buildings you like, but before you can say you've created Coronation Street you first have to survive Eldorado.

I think he genuinely, truly, believed that GBN would be a fully formed entity to immediately do battle against the "establishment". I think he genuinely thought that people would go from venting on Twitter to sitting down to watch every day.

What he got instead was two-fold: a realisation that the target audience was actually extreme, anti - everything types, not the traditional conservatives he was aiming for ; and that you can build all the new fresh gleaming buildings you like, but before you can say you've created Coronation Street you first have to survive Eldorado.

I'm not sure the politics/beliefs of the audience really bothered him, more the lack of committed adulation. He regularly shows his arse as a mad narcissist on Twitter, playing to a narrow audience who think he's an intellectual titan. If GB News had given him that he wouldn't have left but the desiccated remains of their viewership is made up of the kind of swivel-eyed loons who need a new anti-'establishment' totem every ten seconds and who'll turn on them in an instant on pretty much any pretext. Too fickle by far to maintain an ego like that, far too small too which is probably the main issue. Give it a month though and he'll be lauded by his core fandom for being sensible, wise and genius enough to leave the project he started himself. Man's teflon really.

e2a: Just had a look - his entire Twitter timeline atm is retweeting people who think he's great and the guy in the clip is an idiot. Should really get himself a call in show where every contribution is screened, it'd be his natural home.

Last edited:
Mic:

...Gloria de Piero and Liam Halligan are still chained together for their show in which they pretend to like each other while having all the chemistry of a long-divorced couple where the restraining orders have lapsed in time for their daughter’s wedding but whose burning resentment over who got custody of the Nespresso machine abides.
🤣

“We look forward to welcoming back Andrew Neil on Monday his regular appearance”

It seems a bit odd that the guy leaves the channel over “differences of opinion in its direction” only to become a regular contributor.

“We look forward to welcoming back Andrew Neil on Monday his regular appearance”

It seems a bit odd that the guy leaves the channel over “differences of opinion in its direction” only to become a regular contributor.

It was reported that it was a deal done under his contract, that he has to continue with guest appearances until the end of the year.

This writer for the Press Gazette seems to think a 'merger' between GBN & TalkTV is likely.

I doubt that the investors behind the £60m launch of GB News – including Dubai-based Legatum, UK hedge fund owner Paul Marshall and Discovery – spent that money for political reasons. And they certainly didn’t spend it to throw ever more after a costly fight to the death with Rupert Murdoch. They made a bet on achieving a return on their investment, an outcome which currently looks increasingly far-off.

Murdoch has the infrastructure, experience and muscle to pull off a successful TV launch with the added bonus that he can learn from the mistakes made by GB News. Given the professionalism of Times Radio, launched on DAB last year, it will be hard for campaigners to make an advertising boycott of TalkTV not look like sixth-form-level hatred of anything owned by Rupert.

My bet is that the best hope for an “out” from GB News investors now is a merger with TalkTV.

I would disagree that Paul Marshal isn't doing it for political reasons, and possibly Legatum too, but I am not convinced Discovery is in it for anything other than taking a punt, and as the biggest investor, they are very likely to be looking for a way out, and to cut their losses.

Any 'merger' is likely to be basically a take-over, as it was when Sky 'merged' with BSB, dumping a lot of staff & studio equipment, but keeping those TV transmission slots, plus the as yet unused national DAB radio slot.

Apparently CEO Frangopolous is 'increasingly bothered by leaks to the press', so he's not going to like this piece, oops. :D

The reality, sources have told the Guardian, is that rather than merely being on holiday Neil was locked in an increasingly fierce legal battle with the channel’s bosses from mid-July, with the station in turmoil as their lead presenter attempted to renegotiate and then exit a four-year contract believed to worth about £700,000 a year.

The chief executive, Angelos Frangopoulos, was overheard at the station’s west London headquarters over the summer cursing Neil’s name and pledging to sue the presenter for millions of pounds over alleged breach of contract.

At the same time, Neil is said to have claimed his reputation had been damaged due to being involved in a botched launch over which he had limited control. The presenter ultimately agreed to walk away without any money in order to get out of the channel, it is understood.

While Neil ultimately agreed to remain as a twice-a-week pundit as part of his exit package, this is a temporary measure for the next few months and was designed to limit the public relations damage caused by his departure.

The Guardian has learned Neil began using the services of an employment lawyer in mid-July, less than a month after he launched the channel as lead presenter and chairman of the board. Staff said one issue is that the station never enacted a plan to let him present his show from home studios at his bases in the south of France and New York.

Simon McCoy, who left the BBC to present the GB News breakfast programme, has been overheard multiple times by colleagues openly despairing at his position and mocking the low ratings for his slots co-hosting with Kirsty Gallacher.

Some GB News producers have already made enquiries to see if talkTV will hire them, while dark jokes and gallows humour about the working environment were recently made real when an overworked staff member collapsed in the office.

“The rightwing Fox News channel [approach] isn’t working and won’t work, [some] presenters are stupid and badly informed, and it wasn’t the right strategy for the channel,” said one individual with knowledge of the channel’s workings.

Not a happy ship, for the captain to steer.

Back
Top Bottom