Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

GB News: a thread so you never have to watch it

Although in his case the shithole in question is likely the tv station as opposed to the whole country.

Although I suppose he could come back and do a GBeebies version of Jackanory. The tale of the self defeating patriots. Whose patriotism blew so hard that it disfigured the country and eventually caused them to hate the very nation they had previously sought to glorify.

2c.png

Yes, it was disappointing that Farage hit a viewing figure of 107.7k, but did he smash the BBC's offering, as craftywank claims?

Well, he did beat the figure for 'Outside Source' on the BBC News Channel, but with parliament in recess, that was being simulcast on BBC Parliament where another 14k were watching, so more like equal than smashing. But, that's just the 'over the air' figures, there was also over 19,000 viewing requests for 'Outside Source' on the iplayer, compared with just over 300 watching GB News on youtube.

The important thing is, that even if Farage manages to average 100k a night (Mon-Thur) it's not going to impact much on the daily averages, which that media research company estimated was needed to be 135k in order to breakeven, in fact he's hardly helping the evening average figures.

Wed. 28/7 -

Average viewing 19.00 - 01.00 -

BBC News Ch. - 91k
Sky News - 62k
GB News - 30k

Average viewing all day -
BBC News Ch. - 166k
Sky News - 50k
GB News - 20k

Speaking on the Stories of Our Time podcast last week, Guto Harri was questioned about Andrew Neil returning to GBN.

"I don’t know," Guto replied. "It’s a question for him in the end - is that set big enough for Nigel Farage and for Andrew Neil?

"They both represent pretty different things."

"Well, I'd find it hard to leave my beautiful place in the South of France if I had one, in the sunshine, to return to Paddington to be the sort of warm up act to Nigel Farage."

Interesting,

The important thing is, that even if Farage manages to average 100k a night (Mon-Thur) it's not going to impact much on the daily averages, which that media research company estimated was needed to be 135k in order to breakeven, in fact he's hardly helping the evening average figures.

I don’t know why this 135k to break even figure keeps being mentioned. The people putting money into this channel aren’t looking for direct profit, they’re looking to present and promote a particular world view that benefits them. It doesn’t really matter what that costs, they have deep enough pockets to keep it going for quite some time.

I don’t know why this 135k to break even figure keeps being mentioned. The people putting money into this channel aren’t looking for direct profit, they’re looking to present and promote a particular world view that benefits them. It doesn’t really matter what that costs, they have deep enough pockets to keep it going for quite some time.

The plan has always been to make it a commercial enterprise, hence all the talk about it being a massive undertaking in a fiercely competitive market, and they outlined how they could do it with operating costs being be kept low (£25m pa compared to the 50m pa that Sky News loses), and how they would recruit subscribers for 'premium content' [lol], with an initial target of 100k [lol].

Sure, some of the investors clearly want to influence British politics and society, but the plan was to do that without costing them much, they may pony up some more money if needed in the short term, but probably only on the basis of an improving commercial situation. I don't believe most would want to continue to throw money at something drawing such poor viewing figures that it both fails to stand on its own feet, but also fails to be able to influence British politics as virtually no one is watching.

The biggest investor is Discovery, who are currently in talks about a merger with WarnerMedia, where they will be the junior partner, so that opens big questions about any further investment from that direction, even if there's an improving situation, because WarnerMedia owns CNN, so could always launch a UK version of that rather than wasting money on GBN.

I'm not convinced that GBNews succeeds in presenting a particularly coherent World View. They seem to be appealing to a rather disparate set of prejudices. As to promotion GBnews preaches to the converted rather than proselytising and I would imagine that most of those still watching are grinning and bearing rather than rejoicing.

Jennifer Arcuri, basically only famous for shagging Johnson, was on Mark Dolan's show last night, for a half hour interview, talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel.

She was in full Qanon mode, Trump fan, stolen election, covid-denying, great reset nonsense - it was like playing conspiracy theory bingo!

Dolan hardly had any input, he didn't really challenge anything she was saying, all very surreal.

This is not a way to win over a decent size audience, so that you can then influence them.

Jennifer Arcuri, basically only famous for shagging Johnson, was on Mark Dolan's show last night, for a half hour interview, talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel.

She was in full Qanon mode, Trump fan, stolen election, covid-denying, great reset nonsense - it was like playing conspiracy theory bingo!

Dolan hardly had any input, he didn't really challenge anything she was saying, all very surreal.

This is not a way to win over a decent size audience, so that you can then influence them.
Typical GBnews viewer will lap that shit up.

I haven't watched it for ages, in fact not even checked this thread for a while (there were more than a dozen unread pages since I last did)
It's still clinging on then? Despite myself I am mildly impressed by their tenacity

That article links to another, that explains some of the problems he caused at LBC, I am sure it's only a matter of time before he oversteps the mark at GBN, but then they will probably be happy getting a couple of OFCOM rulings against them over some minor issues, but put their house in order before big fines start being imposed.

OTT headline from The Canary, basically Discovery, ITV, Sky (Comcast), Channel 5, and even BBC Studios are all rumoured to be considering a bid for Channel 4, none have commented on the rumours, except Discovery, who deny it.

It's not even confirmed yet if the government intends to actually sell Channel 4, it's just being considered at this stage.

A spokesman for Discovery said the company was not preparing a bid for Channel 4 and is focused on its merger with WarnerMedia. Sky declined to comment.

OTT headline from The Canary, basically Discovery, ITV, Sky (Comcast), Channel 5, and even BBC Studios are all rumoured to be considering a bid for Channel 4, none have commented on the rumours, except Discovery, who deny it.

It's not even confirmed yet if the government intends to actually sell Channel 4, it's just being considered at this stage.

What, you mean The Canary was posting alarmist bullshit? Oh no how could they?!

Big changes at breakfast today, after a week off, McCoy has indeed turned-up on breakfast as rumoured, but for some reason not promoted, with co-presenter Kirsty Gallacher, formerly with Sky Sports News. The two work much better together than McCoy & Alex Phillips, which isn't saying much TBH, they are both naturally laughing at times, rather than the forced laugher from Phillips, very professional overall presentation.

They have moved from the sofa studio into the one used by Farage, so are sitting at that white flat-pack desk, with that fuzzy background, but at least it doesn't seem to be flicking any longer. Certainly since 8 am there's been no tech issues, even sound levels between the studio, outside reporters & pre-recorded inserts have been good.

The format is now more akin to a proper news programme, top of the 'clock hour' headlines, followed by more in-depth reporting on some national stories with fairly suitable input from reporters outside Heathrow Airport and Parliament, followed by sport, then headlines on the half hour, so a serious move from the studio discussion format.

Next up a couple of regional stories, one about Team GB pairing up with Hull University, including live reporter in Hull and insert from Matt Langridge MBE (rowing), then live to Hertfordshire covering the plans for a new 'Hollywood' style studio to be built - see this report from The Independent. The last 15 minutes of the 'clock hour' was some input from viewers and a bit of banter between the presenters. There was nothing particularly right-wing, nor loony, about it TBH.

It seemed a very well structured 'clock hour' format, with specific things happening at specific times, whereas before it was all over the place, with lots of inane waffle between presenters and 'guest', which tended to be another GBN staffer. Leave the staff to fill much of the time just talking about any old story just doesn't work, they can't be experts in every subject, and therefore just come across as idiots.

It is a massive improvement TBH, and as BBC 1 is doing the Olympics & the News Channel has someone signing, which I find distracting, plus I can't stand Kay Burley on Sky, that was a very watchable hour.

I thought from the start they should have gone with this sort of rolling news format during breakfast & daytime, leaving discussion programmes to the evening, I wonder if that's the direction they are going in. I can certainly see the new breakfast show getting better viewing figures if it continues like this, but nowhere near enough to rescue the station.

This Telegraph article seems to sum up the situation regarding the moderates and the loons battling it out at GBN, couple of funny bits too.

I was cock-a-hoop on Monday when GB News (GBN) rang up to ask if I would come on to talk about space. “Outer space or hanging space? Whatever. I can do both.”

They called late to test my internet connection and it wasn’t good. Over 30 minutes they asked me to sit on my router, use my iPhone, download an app (bye-bye bank details), until, 60 seconds before broadcast, I heard someone in the control room say: “You are kidding me.” Their server had been down the whole time.

:D

On the other hand, a culture war strategy can take you down strange roads. On Friday night, Mark Dolan interviewed Jennifer Arcuri, the American businesswoman allegedly linked to the PM. Dolan probably expected saucy banter; Arcuri turned out to be madder than a box of frogs, spinning a conspiracy theory about lockdown being used to restart the global economy.

Neil would’ve torn her apart. Dolan mostly just listened, perhaps out of inexperience but, one suspects, he was also thinking, “If I call her a crazy person, I’m going to lose half the audience that agree with her.”

I was cock-a-hoop on Monday when GB News (GBN) rang up to ask if I would come on to talk about space. “Outer space or hanging space? Whatever. I can do both.”

They called late to test my internet connection and it wasn’t good. Over 30 minutes they asked me to sit on my router, use my iPhone, download an app (bye-bye bank details), until, 60 seconds before broadcast, I heard someone in the control room say: “You are kidding me.” Their server had been down the whole time.

No worry, for I was in the capable hands of host Colin Brazier, filling in for Andrew Neil, who took a break from his job less than two weeks after the channel launched and never came back. The internal politics are fascinating. Neil and his friends set up GBN because they were fed up with Sky and the BBC, both for their politics and decline in quality; they wanted to create a channel that was centre-Right, yes, but nuanced and sophisticated.

They share the project with red-meat culture warriors, who essentially want GBN to be TalkRadio on television – and it feels as if the latter are taking the lead after a launch that had a distinctly Acorn Antiques quality.

With viewing figures yo-yoing, the 7pm slot has been filled by Nigel Farage who, annoyingly for his Left-wing critics, turns out to be a superb presenter – a gift discovered and honed on LBC.

He also has a Trumpite ability to figure out early what is grinding people’s gears – hence he was reporting on the migrant crisis in the Channel months before the broadcasters would touch it.

When last week he accused the Royal National Lifeboat Association of having become a taxi service for people-smugglers, Neil tweeted that the lifeboats are the “epitome of courage and self-sacrifice”, an implicit rebuke reminiscent of the anxiety moderate Brexiters felt about Farage’s immigration “breaking point” poster during the EU referendum – a reminder of how divided Eurosceptics were in philosophy and strategy. Those disagreements have never been resolved.

Thing is, Farage has done for GBN exactly what its founders wanted: he has embarrassed the rivals by setting the news agenda and beating their ratings. Tuesday’s show got 107,000 viewers, vs 35,000 for Sky and 93,000 for the BBC News channel – the latter very significant because he was up against the excellent Outside Source, which was meant to be the new model of BBC programme-making. GBN is never going to get BBC One style ratings or provide the corporation’s breadth of coverage – silly metrics for a gonzo start-up – but translate that 100,000 into a regular audience, keep the advertisers happy, and you’ve got a long-running business model.

On the other hand, a culture war strategy can take you down strange roads. On Friday night, Mark Dolan interviewed Jennifer Arcuri, the American businesswoman allegedly linked to the PM. Dolan probably expected saucy banter; Arcuri turned out to be madder than a box of frogs, spinning a conspiracy theory about lockdown being used to restart the global economy. Neil would’ve torn her apart. Dolan mostly just listened, perhaps out of inexperience but, one suspects, he was also thinking, “If I call her a crazy person, I’m going to lose half the audience that agree with her.”

Indeed. Things turned nasty the day before when GBN’s Tom Harwood accused Laurence Fox of spreading false information about vaccines, and Lozza accused him in return of being the gatekeeper of acceptable opinion. After all, what is the point of GBN if not to air unfashionable opinion? Fine, except that when presenter Guto Harri took the knee on air, signalling his opposition to racism in football, he was suspended from his job (then quit). That’s the reality behind free speech. It’s never about a general principle of liberty, but taste: “I’ll give a platform to those I agree with, but I ain’t bankrolling, or watching, a news channel that expresses opinions I hate.”

GBN is technically far more proficient than when it began and, wisely, it’s introducing news bulletins, which will provide structure. I would advise them to scrap the daytime presenter partnerships that have all the chemistry of an awkward encounter in a lift; swap some afternoon programmes with a nice film (anything with John Mills will do); and try doing culture as well as culture war. Why not a piano recital or history lecture? The Left politicises everything, which is why the BBC has become so unwatchable, and it would be truly conservative if GBN presented culture for its own sake.

Meanwhile, every element of the centre-Right must come to the aid of the operation because it needs breadth and teamwork. Conservatism is no longer the preserve of the Tory party and, as it has grown, adding new voters and viewers, it has institutionally weakened, becoming much harder to define or control. If there is a coherent base out there, what does it think about Covid? Should GBN seek to inform, be even-handed, promote an agenda, or simply stir things up a bit?

Whereas Conservatism historically transmitted ideas downwards – encouraging the masses to ape their “betters” – now it finds itself trying to second-guess what the voters want and offer it on a plate. To become, to use a now outdated telly analogy, less BBC, more ITV.

With the usual 'BBC Breakfast' show not being on BBC1, because of Olympic coverage, there was a uptick for both BBC News & Sky on Saturday morning, but not for GBN, which barely registered.

Sat. 31 July breakfast time from 6 - 10am, average / peak viewing figures -
BBC News Ch. - 180k / 320k
Sky News - 104k / 167k
GB News - 7k / 12k

It's going so well. :D

This Telegraph article seems to sum up the situation regarding the moderates and the loons battling it out at GBN, couple of funny bits too.

No worry, for I was in the capable hands of host Colin Brazier, filling in for Andrew Neil, who took a break from his job less than two weeks after the channel launched and never came back. The internal politics are fascinating. Neil and his friends set up GBN because they were fed up with Sky and the BBC, both for their politics and decline in quality; they wanted to create a channel that was centre-Right, yes, but nuanced and sophisticated.

They share the project with red-meat culture warriors, who essentially want GBN to be TalkRadio on television – and it feels as if the latter are taking the lead after a launch that had a distinctly Acorn Antiques quality.

With viewing figures yo-yoing, the 7pm slot has been filled by Nigel Farage who, annoyingly for his Left-wing critics, turns out to be a superb presenter – a gift discovered and honed on LBC.

He also has a Trumpite ability to figure out early what is grinding people’s gears – hence he was reporting on the migrant crisis in the Channel months before the broadcasters would touch it.

When last week he accused the Royal National Lifeboat Association of having become a taxi service for people-smugglers, Neil tweeted that the lifeboats are the “epitome of courage and self-sacrifice”, an implicit rebuke reminiscent of the anxiety moderate Brexiters felt about Farage’s immigration “breaking point” poster during the EU referendum – a reminder of how divided Eurosceptics were in philosophy and strategy. Those disagreements have never been resolved.

Thing is, Farage has done for GBN exactly what its founders wanted: he has embarrassed the rivals by setting the news agenda and beating their ratings. Tuesday’s show got 107,000 viewers, vs 35,000 for Sky and 93,000 for the BBC News channel – the latter very significant because he was up against the excellent Outside Source, which was meant to be the new model of BBC programme-making. GBN is never going to get BBC One style ratings or provide the corporation’s breadth of coverage – silly metrics for a gonzo start-up – but translate that 100,000 into a regular audience, keep the advertisers happy, and you’ve got a long-running business model.

On the other hand, a culture war strategy can take you down strange roads. On Friday night, Mark Dolan interviewed Jennifer Arcuri, the American businesswoman allegedly linked to the PM. Dolan probably expected saucy banter; Arcuri turned out to be madder than a box of frogs, spinning a conspiracy theory about lockdown being used to restart the global economy. Neil would’ve torn her apart. Dolan mostly just listened, perhaps out of inexperience but, one suspects, he was also thinking, “If I call her a crazy person, I’m going to lose half the audience that agree with her.”

Indeed. Things turned nasty the day before when GBN’s Tom Harwood accused Laurence Fox of spreading false information about vaccines, and Lozza accused him in return of being the gatekeeper of acceptable opinion. After all, what is the point of GBN if not to air unfashionable opinion? Fine, except that when presenter Guto Harri took the knee on air, signalling his opposition to racism in football, he was suspended from his job (then quit). That’s the reality behind free speech. It’s never about a general principle of liberty, but taste: “I’ll give a platform to those I agree with, but I ain’t bankrolling, or watching, a news channel that expresses opinions I hate.”

GBN is technically far more proficient than when it began and, wisely, it’s introducing news bulletins, which will provide structure. I would advise them to scrap the daytime presenter partnerships that have all the chemistry of an awkward encounter in a lift; swap some afternoon programmes with a nice film (anything with John Mills will do); and try doing culture as well as culture war. Why not a piano recital or history lecture? The Left politicises everything, which is why the BBC has become so unwatchable, and it would be truly conservative if GBN presented culture for its own sake.

Meanwhile, every element of the centre-Right must come to the aid of the operation because it needs breadth and teamwork. Conservatism is no longer the preserve of the Tory party and, as it has grown, adding new voters and viewers, it has institutionally weakened, becoming much harder to define or control. If there is a coherent base out there, what does it think about Covid? Should GBN seek to inform, be even-handed, promote an agenda, or simply stir things up a bit?

Whereas Conservatism historically transmitted ideas downwards – encouraging the masses to ape their “betters” – now it finds itself trying to second-guess what the voters want and offer it on a plate. To become, to use a now outdated telly analogy, less BBC, more ITV.

Great work in going from "the Left politicises everything" to "the centre right needs to get behind its own TV channel".

Back
Top Bottom