Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

French magazine publishes controversial cartoons of Prophet Muhammad - many killed in revenge attack

I support the right of that right-wing French magazine to lampoon Islam, if that's what you mean. I oppose anyone who would seek to stop them from doing it. But as has been pointed out already, the scale of these protests is tiny compared to, say, the protests against the US-supported cunt dictator Mubarak earlier this year. The vast majority don't support these protests.

Well yes, but I'm also talking about things which the protesters actually say they're protesting. We can get all indignant imputing additional motives to these people. We could, on the other hand, refer to their stated grievances, or are those to be forgotten. You scoff at the idea they hate us for our freedoms. I see no reason to scoff at it, even as you attribute all else as causative. Should we not take their words and actions at face value? Why not?
Our freedoms. The West has consistantly denied freedom to people across the Arab and Muslim world. Who supported Mubarak? Who supports the Bahraini regime? Who supports Saudi Arabia, the vilest most repressive theocracy in the world? Who supports Israel's 64 year occupation of Palestine? Who supported the overthrow of Mossaddegh in Iran? Who supported the Shah? Who supported Ben Ali?

The West preaches the language of freedom whilst its strategic foreign policy lines up with every dictatorship in the region and the myth of America has killed many many more than any myth of Islam yet you want to dismiss this. You want to completely ignore the possibility that these provocations and insults are seen as just one more insult by a bully who has humiliated them for decades?

Yep. It's not just the Middle East of course. Latin America has repeatedly been denied democracy by the US through military intervention.

I think it is hard for some to think of the US as the villain it really is. But it is. The US is the enemy of democracy across the world.

Our freedoms. The West has consistantly denied freedom to people across the Arab and Muslim world. Who supported Mubarak? Who supports the Bahraini regime? Who supports Saudi Arabia, the vilest most repressive theocracy in the world? Who supports Israel's 64 year occupation of Palestine? Who supported the overthrow of Mossaddegh in Iran? Who supported the Shah? Who supported Ben Ali?

The West preaches the language of freedom whilst its strategic foreign policy lines up with every dictatorship in the region and the myth of America has killed many many more than any myth of Islam yet you want to dismiss this. You want to completely ignore the possibility that these provocations and insults are seen as just one more insult by a bully who has humiliated them for decades?

In the early days, ie the decade after WW2, Britain/US/France set up and financed some of the dictatorships, and the Soviet Union set up and/or financed the others.

Interesting that in the early days, Israel was supported by the Soviet Union.

I find it incredible that you refuse to acknowledge the things these people speak with their own mouths. If we can't talk about that then I guess it all comes down to your opinion. Is this a thread about Arab grievances or British ones? They raise different beefs than you do.

I find it incredible that you refuse to acknowledge the things these people speak with their own mouths. If we can't talk about that then I guess it all comes down to your opinion. Is this a thread about Arab grievances or British ones? They raise different beefs than you do.
Which Muslims?

Ideologies don't develop in a vacuum though. The rise of fascism in the 30's wasn't just people adopting funny ideas out of the blue; there was a social, political, and economic environment that led to people being more receptive to certain ideas. The same is applicable today. The belief systems that influence the actions of people are themselves influenced by other factors.

The ones who want filmmakers hauled into court. The ones who practice film criticism by destroying their own neighborhoods,
So, a very tiny minority, then. Nothing like the Tahrir square movement, for instance. A sense of scale is important here, I think. You should not judge these countries by the demonstrators coming out against these cartoons any more than they should judge the US by the demonstrators outside abortion clinics.

So, a very tiny minority, then. Nothing like the Tahrir square movement, for instance. A sense of scale is important here, I think. You should not judge these countries by the demonstrators coming out against these cartoons any more than they should judge the US by the demonstrators outside abortion clinics.

You telling me not to judge a whole country is irrelevant actions in the real world. No one needs you to be their interpreter. You do not know better than they do.

The West preaches the language of freedom whilst its strategic foreign policy lines up with every dictatorship in the region

The US helped Libya get rid of Gaddafi; then a year later, their ambassador is killed.

Should the US provide any aid to Syrian rebels trying to oust Assad?

There's no doubt that the opinions of the Hillsboro Church are abhorrent, and very unpopular.

Couldn't agree more.

175px-Sheffield_Wednesday.svg.png

Guardian stating that the offices were stormed by 'armed gunmen'. Not 'unarmed gunmen' then.

Bad shit, this'll cause a fuck load of trouble.

Back
Top Bottom