Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

French magazine publishes controversial cartoons of Prophet Muhammad - many killed in revenge attack

Its important that Charlie Hebdo continues to satirise the Islamotantrum-throwers. Late last year its office was fire-bombed in response to earlier cartoons. If it now kept quiet, it would be difficult to avoid the conclusion that the CH people had allowed themselves to be intimidated. I'm glad they haven't.

A cartoon from last year:
564716407_charlie_hebdo_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg

And to think, there was a big uproar and a lot of soul searching about the media when a canadian media outlet showed an upskirt Duchess shot.

kate-middleton-upskirt-closeup1.png

I am tired of all this. If you can't cope with someone poking a bit of fun, the words 'grow the fuck up' spring to mind.

I think everyone should do it. Have a national publish a picture of mohammad day. Maybe then it'd loose its power and people would realise that actually, it's not a big deal at all.

It isn't abstract though. Any power it has is in how people interact with it. Arguably what you are saying will have the opposite effect. By attacking a religious symbol you're creating a rally cry for the moderate to radicalise behind it.

Reactions: Mab
This is as much about free speech as a school yard bully calling your sister a slut after kicking your teeth in and taking your lunch money. He may have the right to say it but he's still a cunt

This is as much about free speech as a school yard bully calling your sister a slut after kicking your teeth in and taking your lunch money. He may have the right to say it but he's still a cunt
In the other thread you said....
It is naive to think these protests are simply about some stupid movie and it is equally simplistic to reduce this to a freedom of speech issue. It is impossible to understand why protests like these have erupted in the Arab region without placing them in the context of over a decades permanent war, invasion, detention without trial, legalised torture, rendition, drone strikes, occupation, mass civilian death, support for dictatorships, double standards when it comes to Israel etc. These protests come on the back of what is seen as an ongoing assault on the Arab world as a whole.
If so, why the uproar over the Danish cartoons? What did Denmark ever do to Muslims?

Reactions: Mab
In the other thread you said....

If so, why the uproar over the Danish cartoons? What did Denmark ever do to Muslims?
First let me be clear. I don't defend this violent response. I think people are being manipulated by cynics within their own countries and I think the best response would have been to simply ignore these provocations. Nevertheless, it is blindly and deliberately ignorant to dismiss the context in which this manipulation is successful. There is a very real anger and a very real sense of humiliation at the hands of the West and for good reason and it is in this context that these deliberate provocations and insults aimed at their religion take hold. They are seen as just one more assault on their cultural dignity and for many in this region, dignity is all they have left. They are flames to the gasoline and it doesn't matter whether the spark come from Denmark or anywhere else. The anger is real, it is being manipulated I agree but it is real and to ignore it or to pretend it has nothing to do with the reasons for these events is to fall into George Bush's baffled "why do they hate us for our freedoms" bullshit.

Maybe your sister _is_ a slut. Or maybe she's not but you should be able to take a joke. Never harmed anybody.
The argument of the bully to the kid he humiliates is always "he can't take a joke" but when that "joke" comes on the back of years of abuse don't be surprised when the bullied kid turns up with a 2 by 4 and smashes your teeth in.

First let me be clear. I don't defend this violent response. I think people are being manipulated by cynics within their own countries and I think the best response would have been to simply ignore these provocations. Nevertheless, it is blindly and deliberately ignorant to dismiss the context in which this manipulation is successful. There is a very real anger and a very real sense of humiliation at the hands of the West and for good reason and it is in this context that these deliberate provocations and insults aimed at their religion take hold. They are seen as just one more assault on their cultural dignity and for many in this region, dignity is all they have left. They are flames on the gasoline and it doesn't matter whether the flames come from Denmark or anywhere else. The anger is real, it is being manipulated I agree but it is real and to ignore it or to pretend it has nothing to do with the reasons for these events is to fall into George Bush's baffled "why do they hate us for our freedoms" bullshit.

But here, we have freedoms with respect to thought and expression. Must we forever keep silent with any criticisms of islam? To what degree must we let concern with reactions 8000 miles away, prevent us from exercising a right that we enjoy in our own countries?

Should Salman Rushdie have been prevented from publishing The Satanic Verses?

The argument of the bully to the kid he humiliates is always "he can't take a joke" but when that "joke" comes on the back of years of abuse don't be surprised when the bullied kid turns up with a 2 by 4 and smashes your teeth in.

But, once again, 'america' didn't make a movie about Muhammad. Two jerkwads who happen to live in California did.

We're told, over and over - because it's true - that if some fanatics who come from an islamic country commit a terrorist act, it doesn't mean that all of islam is against us, nor that all islam condones the terrorism.
That's a two-way street, surely?

Maybe the kid had got a persecution complex because it's parents have infantilised them for decades by blaming the world for their problems at home

Back
Top Bottom