Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

French magazine publishes controversial cartoons of Prophet Muhammad - many killed in revenge attack

Keeping an eye on this, of course:

French police have surrounded a building in a northern town where two men suspected of the Charlie Hebdo massacre are said to have a hostage.

Shots were fired and several people are said to have been wounded as events unfolded in Dammartin-en-Goele, 35km (22 miles) from Paris.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30740115

Free speech is a great thing but we are taught we must accept the consequences or put laws in place to prevent consequences. I'm thinking about free speech at work or in the military, if we speak freely we will be penalised or if we refuse to abide by the desired penalties imposed on us we will be the victims of violence.

Free speech is a great thing but we are taught we must accept the consequences or put laws in place to prevent consequences. I'm thinking about free speech at work or in the military, if we speak freely we will be penalised or if we refuse to abide by the desired penalties imposed on us we will be the victims of violence.
you seem to be a sentence short of a point here.

???

There are different spaces, though. Someone on the other thread was comparing this to how they thought their child should act towards Muslim children at school, as if we think everyone should adhere to the same rules everywhere, as if satirical magazines should never publish anything a school child would not say in class.

My personal experience was that of a whistleblower, I said something my employer disagreed with me saying but was actually true. I was forced out of my job, eventually became homeless and in debt. I was free to say what I wanted as long as I didn't mind the consequences. Not quite Chelsea Manning but it was painful.

My personal experience was that of a whistleblower, I said something my employer disagreed with me saying but was actually true. I was forced out of my job, eventually became homeless and in debt. I was free to say what I wanted as long as I didn't mind the consequences. Not quite Chelsea Manning but it was painful.
I don't see the relevance of that to this.

Plenty of this kind of thing from Ireland where paintings of Brian Cowen led to a garda investigation and a grovelling apology from RTE for showing the offending images in a report.

FF TD said:
France, like Ireland, has a proud republican tradition. Part of that proud tradition is the freedom of speech and expression, which democratic societies hold dear.

Blimey... From Guardian live feed.

The man, who would only gave his name as Didier, said he had an appointment with Michel, the owner of the printing and publicity material business. Didier said he shook one of the gunmen’s hands who he took to be police special operations officer. He was dressed in black and was heavily armed with at least one rifle.

He said when he arrived at the business his client came out to meet him with what he took to be a policeman, dressed in black combat gear, with a bullet-proof vest.

“We all shook hands and my client told me to leave.” Didier added that the man he took to be the policeman said: “Go, we don’t kill civilians”. He added “I thought was strange.”

He said: “As I left I didn’t know what it was, it wasn’t normal. I did not know what was going on. Was it a hostage taking or a burglary?”

Blimey... From Guardian live feed.

The man, who would only gave his name as Didier, said he had an appointment with Michel, the owner of the printing and publicity material business. Didier said he shook one of the gunmen’s hands who he took to be police special operations officer. He was dressed in black and was heavily armed with at least one rifle.

He said when he arrived at the business his client came out to meet him with what he took to be a policeman, dressed in black combat gear, with a bullet-proof vest.

“We all shook hands and my client told me to leave.” Didier added that the man he took to be the policeman said: “Go, we don’t kill civilians”. He added “I thought was strange.”

He said: “As I left I didn’t know what it was, it wasn’t normal. I did not know what was going on. Was it a hostage taking or a burglary?”

Sure you weren't watching The Day Today?

I live in France and today has been a fucking horrible day. The amount of dog shit racists coming out into the open with their dog shit "sales bougnioles" rhetoric is both horrific and disheartening. Up until today I had never seen an armed soldier unless he was outside Buckingham palace. They are standing in front of mosqués and synagogues, hopefully guarding them but I didn't ask. Flics everywhere too.

My Algerian nephew and niece in-law, brother in law and their families are living in Paris, I worry about the shit they may experience there in the fallout. I lived in Lucon, Vendee for 8 months when I was 18 (was an au pair), and was shocked then (1981) by the level of contempt a lot of French people had towards North Africans. They really were/ regarded as scum by many there. In 1982, I was spat on by a French man for walking along the street with an Algerian guy. And when I visited my old (au pair) employers in about 1992, the woman's attitude towards my son was less than respectful. Though he didn't understand the language, he understood clearly that she didn't like him. My son was eating 'frites' with his hands when she remarked that she saw it was "in the blood then". Her other very nasty comment was about my in-laws apartment in Algiers no doubt having been stolen from the 'pieds noirs' and that they couldn't have possibly gained such a residence through their own merit. I was raging inside but wasn't gonna let her see that, so I responded by saying, ah well, it was their fault for being there in the first place, which enraged her. I'm so glad I didn't raise my son in France, he most likely would have had a shitty time growing up with that level of racism.

Is it reasonable to assume this printing business is connected with the magazine, or is it just somewhere they've ended up by chance?

Is it reasonable to assume this printing business is connected with the magazine, or is it just somewhere they've ended up by chance?
The idea that the armed man in black was police is much easier to understand if 'Didier' new the impimerie was in some way connected to Charlie Hebdo

Back
Top Bottom