Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

French magazine publishes controversial cartoons of Prophet Muhammad - many killed in revenge attack

Yet, hardly had news begun filtering out about the Charlie Hebdo shootings, than there were those suggesting that the magazine was a ‘racist institution’ and that the cartoonists, if not deserving what they got, had nevertheless brought it on themselves through their incessant attacks on Islam. What is really racist is the idea only nice white liberals want to challenge religion or demolish its pretensions or can handle satire and ridicule. Those who claim that it is ‘racist’ or ‘Islamophobic’ to mock the Prophet Mohammad, appear to imagine, with the racists, that all Muslims are reactionaries. It is here that leftwing ‘anti-racism’ joins hands with rightwing anti-Muslim bigotry.

I've seen a report that their 'satire' included depicting a black MP as a monkey on one occasion, if true I would personally see no problem in describing this publication as racist

It's quite possible to stand up for the right for satire to be published (which, seriously, isn't even under threat) and point out when a piece of 'satire' might be racist. It is quite possible to stand up for the right for things to be published and criticise the content of what is published.

That seems to be a really difficult thing to get across at the moment. I'd say it's because emotions are running high, but frankly it seems that it's never the right time to talk about nuance for some people. As it stands, in the emotion of the moment it's an impossible task to even begin to question any of their content or to suggest any of it may have been anything other than a shining light of freedom to which we should all aspire. As it stands, it appears the freedom of expression we are most strongly asked to defend is the freedom to publish and say things that may cause offence, but not the freedom to criticise it, not the freedom to ask who is served by causing certain types of offence, not the freedom to discuss what types of social responsibility come into play when exercising our freedom of expression. Etc.

I've seen a report that their 'satire' included depicting a black MP as a monkey on one occasion, if true I would personally see no problem in describing this publication as racist

this is how they represent the sex trafficing victims of Boku Haram, as a population timebomb of benefits claiments.

hebdo_racist.jpg

Je Suis Charlie? pas en mon nom

It's quite possible to stand up for the right for satire to be published (which, seriously, isn't even under threat) and point out when a piece of 'satire' might be racist. It is quite possible to stand up for the right for things to be published and criticise the content of what is published.

That seems to be a really difficult thing to get across at the moment. I'd say it's because emotions are running high, but frankly it seems that it's never the right time to talk about nuance for some people. As it stands, in the emotion of the moment it's an impossible task to even begin to question any of their content or to suggest any of it may have been anything other than a shining light of freedom to which we should all aspire. As it stands, it appears the freedom of expression we are most strongly asked to defend is the freedom to publish and say things that may cause offence, but not the freedom to criticise it, not the freedom to ask who is served by causing certain types of offence, not the freedom to discuss what types of social responsibility come into play when exercising our freedom of expression. Etc.

Well said and a hell of a lot more sensible than anything I've read in the press so far

the monkey cartoon seems to have been a response to this story

http://rt.com/news/173160-france-facebook-insult-monkey/

what Charlie Hebdo then printed was this
charb-taubira.png

Which thranslates as roughly "when the cartoonist charb depicts taubira as a monkey isn't it a little bit racist?"

so on one hand you have the publication mocking the most vulnerable in society, literally rape victims fleeing persecution, on the other you have them sucking up to one of the most powerful women in france who oversaw the jailing of a political opponent over a crude caricature and instigated proceedings against several other cartoonists, you know the misuse and excess of power that Charlie Hebdo was supposed to be such a fierce critic of.

Don't think that works. If said minority group does stuff you object to, should you leave it alone because it's a minority? Surely not, and surely that is exactly what Kenan Malik is warning against in his piece.
Malik's piece is about free speech. Fine. As I said, it's a trivial part of the analysis of this (in the u75 context, because few people disagree) but I'll spell it out. I'm in favour of free speech, without any 'buts'. People should be able to say what they want without being imprisoned or shot in the head. Are we all happy now?

Just cos they can say it, doesn't mean they should. I think people should be *allowed* to deny the holocaust. Doesn't mean I think they should.

Taking the piss out of Islam, to a largely white audience, at a time when muslims face constant bigotry, is a cunt's trick. Let's not pretend they were trying to persuade people away from islam here, with their biting satire aimed at white French people. Instead their piss-taking served to confirm the prejudices of their readers.

We satirise everyone equally, whether powerful politicians or people in the shit.

Many people here wouldn't accept that in relation to tv satirising poor people in Britain. It's fine because we created The Thick of It as well as Vicki Pollard.

Am I the only one that doesn't give a flying fuck about these events.

I'm fucking tired of windbags wanking on about this shit.
wouldn't quite say that, but whenever media people are killed their fellow journalists go into overdrive.

plus if i was going to be killed over some cartoons i'd want them to be better.

this is how they represent the sex trafficing victims of Boku Haram, as a population timebomb of benefits claiments.

hebdo_racist.jpg

Je Suis Charlie? pas en mon nom
I'll repost what i put on another thread about this:

Perfect example of people jumping to conclusions without knowing the first thing about the issue. That cover brings together all the bogeymen that haunt the trad french far-rights thoughts - muslims, black people, single mothers, people on benefits, foreign terrorists, face veils etc - in order to show the inherent stupidity of their fears and to mock the people who hold them.

I've seen countless similar ones in this country aimed at UKIP and the BNP but people manged to get the message because they understood the context and where the authors were coming from.

Pretty disappointing that people haven't considered that maybe a satirical mag might be doing,well...satire here - explaining why they've not been cast out by the french left as racists.

Be careful here.That idiot Richard Seymour was pimping this around as an example of what they really think yesterday.

Malik's piece is about free speech. Fine. As I said, it's a trivial part of the analysis of this (in the u75 context, because few people disagree) but I'll spell it out. I'm in favour of free speech, without any 'buts'. People should be able to say what they want without being imprisoned or shot in the head. Are we all happy now?

Just cos they can say it, doesn't mean they should. I think people should be *allowed* to deny the holocaust. Doesn't mean I think they should.

Taking the piss out of Islam, to a largely white audience, at a time when muslims face constant bigotry, is a cunt's trick. Let's not pretend they were trying to persuade people away from islam here, with their biting satire aimed at white French people. Instead their piss-taking served to confirm the prejudices of their readers.

We satirise everyone equally, whether powerful politicians or people in the shit.

Many people here wouldn't accept that in relation to tv satirising poor people in Britain. It's fine because we created The Thick of It as well as Vicki Pollard.
What do you know of their audience and their content?

Lots of people on my Facebook saying Charlie Hebdo promoted white supremacy?

Is it me but from what I have read about them they seem somewhat like a French version of south park...

You miss the point that they are equally mocking of christianity. They mock religion - that's their tradition - so not to mock Islam isn't an option if they are to be true to that tradition.

Just for those who are obviously struggling with the concept of satire:

satire
[sat-ahyuh r] /ˈsæt aɪər/
noun
1. the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.

2. a literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.

3. a literary genre comprising such compositions.

I'll repost what i put on another thread about this:

Perfect example of people jumping to conclusions without knowing the first thing about the issue. That cover brings together all the bogeymen that haunt the trad french far-rights thoughts - muslims, black people, single mothers, people on benefits, foreign terrorists, face veils etc - in order to show the inherent stupidity of their fears and to mock the people who hold them.

I've seen countless similar ones in this country aimed at UKIP and the BNP but people manged to get the message because they understood the context and where the authors were coming from.

Pretty disappointing that people haven't considered that maybe a satirical mag might be doing,well...satire here - explaining why they've not been cast out by the french left as racists.

Be careful here.That idiot Richard Seymour was pimping this around as an example of what they really think yesterday.

Fair enough, we could argue till the cows come home as to whether the repetition of racist tropes is satire or just shit, i gravitate towards the latter.

the Taubira one though?

Reports of hostages being taken. All just reports at the moment. Seems it's down near CDG airport area rather than where they have been searching.

Not a chase apparently, just more police arriving. Holed up near airport with possible hostage. Airport and RPG isn't a good combination.

1 or 2 dead and 20 people injured in a shootout :(

ETA The prosecutor's now saying that there haven't been any deaths.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom