Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Freelancers during this crisis and the Self Employment Income Support Scheme

How much was your total government grant?

• £1-£99

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • £100-£199

• £200-£299

• £300-£499

• £500-£799

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • £800-£999

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • £1,000-£2,499

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • £2,500-£4,999

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • £5,000-£9,999

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Over ten grand - reeeeesult *champagne corks pop

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
Unlikely to happen, but something that would really help people & small businesses would be for banks to forgo their punitive charges for overdrafts ...

Got myself a delivery driver job for sainsburys. 3 month contract, 12 hours a week minimum, £10 an hour. Im pretty sure ill be doing more than 12 hours though. All the supermarkets want drivers now and they are rush recruiting.
Might be an option for a lot of self employed here.
Youll be out of the house during the coming lockdown, doing something useful and likely have better access to pasta and bogroll.

Well that's it, a week earlier than expected, we are shutting-up shop on Friday.

My mate that runs a garage is shutting-up today, another is doing same with his printing business, and the warehouse I use for some drop-offs & storage is also closing today.

Fucking unbelievable isn't it?

Got myself a delivery driver job for sainsburys. 3 month contract, 12 hours a week minimum, £10 an hour. Im pretty sure ill be doing more than 12 hours though. All the supermarkets want drivers now and they are rush recruiting.
Youll be out of the house during the coming lockdown, doing something useful and likely have better access to pasta and bogroll.
haven't got a licence. might have to look into cycle couriering soon, if that's still an option....

I ordered the paint for one of my current jobs, just in case ... and most of it has already arrived (it was supposed to be on 3-day but basically arrived on the o/n standard timing).

And I'm having to chase up invoices ...
(the rent doesn't pay itself nor do the wages, and I've paid the VAT about a fortnight ago)

I've got no jobs at all left and I can't see way way I can claim anything for my band or DJ gigs as they're all effectively one-off contracts with different companies. The one work from home job was for a listings magazine but there's nothing left to list! But on the plus side, my rent is affordable and I'm used to living cheap so I'll be fine for a while.

An unexpected bonus is that I'd been faffing around for ages trying to swap over the listings app on Brixton Buzz but it was going to be a really tough job because we'd have to manually re-enter loads of gigs into the new calendar. With everything now cancelled that means it won't be a problem to start a new one!

#silverlining

That looks like a good idea

The one work from home job was for a listings magazine but there's nothing left to list!

A friend runs the what's on magazine around here, the April edition went to press yesterday, despite several advertisers pulling out & no listings, but that's the last one for now.

Finished the last job I still had booked in this morning and just applied for a night job at Tesco. Would prefer to keep contact with people to a minimum as I have type 2 diabetes but we have only recently got back on our feet financially so any work will do to stop slipping back into debt.

Not holding out much hope for help from the government at this point and don't have the energy to jump through all the hoops to apply for UC, especially as I may get some work coming in which so probably end up having to pay it back in the end.

Good luck to everyone struggling with the whole food and roof thing.

Yeah hopefully, just thought I'd hold off a few days to see what is actually offered and how it interacts, like Badgers said somewhere it's prob best to get a UC claim in sooner given delays

I've been trying to hold off but just applied to Tesco as feeling less and less confident that the government will offer any real help. Tempting to just be ill, take SSP and fuck off all the bills and rent. Will be discussing with my wife tonight and making a decision.

Not holding out much hope for help from the government at this point and don't have the energy to jump through all the hoops to apply for UC, especially as I may get some work coming in which so probably end up having to pay it back in the end.
Same here. All my jobs have stopped dead so zero coming in. Can't face trying a temp job as don't want to expose myself to any chance of infection.

Same here. All my jobs have stopped dead so zero coming in. Can't face trying a temp job as don't want to expose myself to any chance of infection.

Yeah, my income for this week currently stands at £50. Might do a week or so temp work to get some weed money and then cancel every standing order, contact housing and utility people and spend the next however long decorating and gardening. Pay everything back at £10 a month over 92 years once this is all over, assuming I survive.

haven't got a licence. might have to look into cycle couriering soon, if that's still an option....
Might be worth speaking to local independent traders and seeing how they are delivering and if they want stuff delivered by cycle (environmentally friendly)

Hopefully they are just automated but have had three texts telling me I 'need to read a message' so 'sign in today' :hmm:

Logged in:
To avoid any delay to your first payment you should book your appointment today.
You will have to make a new claim for Universal Credit if you do not book your appointment by Monday 20 April 2020.

You've told us you'll bring these documents with you

Proof of your identity
  • Bank card
Proof of your bank details
  • Bank card
Have your National Insurance number ready.
To book your appointmentcall:
0800 328 5644
textphone: 0800 328 1344
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Calls to 0800 numbers are free from landlines and mobiles

Been an arse getting through to them since I got these texts with line busy and they have cut me off a few times :rolleyes: Finally spoke to someone and I have a telephone appointment booked for the 03rd of April. Was told to keep passport and bank details to hand but nothing else.

Amazon's also doing a shitload of hiring apparently on the distribution centre side if you don't drive
Hopefully they are just automated but have had three texts telling me I 'need to read a message' so 'sign in today' :hmm:

Logged in:

Been an arse getting through to them since I got these texts with line busy and they have cut me off a few times :rolleyes: Finally spoke to someone and I have a telephone appointment booked for the 03rd of April. Was told to keep passport and bank details to hand but nothing else.

I keep getting cut off too. I'm glad it will be a phone interview though, thanks for that :) I don't get physical bank statements so in the past for job interviews etc I've had to order them from the bank which involves a fee plus physically going in there. And also the pain of me actually seeing the amount I spunk on 'hospitality/leisure'.

(not sure how that will work for me personally - over last three years have been s/e then employed for a year then s/e again since mid Jan with less than a grand earned up to now - we shall see)

How are they defining 'freelance' exactly?

In my case I go through agencies. Ie, im effectively a temp. I get parachuted in, sometimes for a good two week stint, some period I can go days without any work at all.

I'm not billing clients directly, that all goes through an agency and then through an umbrella. Am I eligible for the 80%?

How are they defining 'freelance' exactly?

In my case I go through agencies. Ie, im effectively a temp. I get parachuted in, sometimes for a good two week stint, some period I can go days without any work at all.

I'm not billing clients directly, that all goes through an agency and then through an umbrella. Am I eligible for the 80%?

Not sure but would suspect people using an umbrella won't be included in this as from HMRC perspective you are employed. Does the umbrella pay SSP (or more) to you?

The chancellor in the commons now, saying they a working on the scheme to help the self-employed, and he hopes to make a further statement soon.

Logged in:

How long were you on hold for out of interest?

I'm currently at three hours.

Back
Top Bottom