Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Freelancers during this crisis and the Self Employment Income Support Scheme

How much was your total government grant?

• £1-£99

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • £100-£199

• £200-£299

• £300-£499

• £500-£799

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • £800-£999

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • £1,000-£2,499

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • £2,500-£4,999

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • £5,000-£9,999

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Over ten grand - reeeeesult *champagne corks pop

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
Just had two more clients cancel this morning, that means about 70% income lost in under a week., fuck! :(

I’ve now been full time for 12 months and I’m somewhat relieved I made that choice. I’ve spent this week telling all the engineers and techs I now book that there is nothing until at least June, which is the current official line.

Privately I think it could well be September.

I am going to have to call my team this afternoon, to let them know there's reduced work for the next two weeks & nothing guaranteed after that, just to give them notice so they look into claiming whatever benefits, I am fucking gutted for them. :(

It looks like I am going to have to close-up after those 2 weeks, when I'll not actually be earning anything myself, I am at a lost how to move forward. :(

Morrisons (and probably every other supermarket) are rapidly taking on more delivery drivers to cope with demand - might be a good way for freelancers to replace lost income during the pandemic.

I am going to have to call my team this afternoon, to let them know there's reduced work for the next two weeks & nothing guaranteed after that, just to give them notice so they look into claiming whatever benefits, I am fucking gutted for them. :(

It looks like I am going to have to close-up after those 2 weeks, when I'll not actually be earning anything myself, I am at a lost how to move forward. :(

I'm really sorry to hear that. They're going to be awful calls to make but they will be expecting it. The universal credit application process was fairly straightforward and according to the DWP person I saw on the news yesterday you can get a same day advance on it. It's not much though. Best of luck.

Bah, shouldn't have got that rail card.
Also better start claiming part of my house as a place of work. Should have put the whole cost of my garden office in as an expense, except it was never built for that. . . . Might be an idea to make editing from home more of a thing, though that would mean me laying down more money to get set up.

Bah, shouldn't have got that rail card.
Also better start claiming part of my house as a place of work. Should have put the whole cost of my garden office in as an expense, except it was never built for that. . . . Might be an idea to make editing from home more of a thing, though that would mean me laying down more money to get set up.

I saw this today in the money saving expert email I get (which is very useful at the moment)

13) Got a train season ticket? You can get a partial refund for a small admin fee. While you can't pause a train season ticket, many firms will let you cancel and get a refund for the rest of the time (based on the cheapest way you could've bought tickets for the travel you've had, plus typically a £10 admin fee). So check if cancelling and rebooking later will be cheaper.

And the usual round of chasing up invoice payments begins again for all but one of the most recent batch (another week to go for that one).

This tail-chasing isn't going to get any easier / better, is it ?

The wages / overheads aren't going away ...

Also we pay rent to a company that we sublet from. They separate arches into small kitchens and then rent to us and Deliveroo kitchens. If they get a rates cut surely that should be passed on to us? Will have to ask.

edit: I was thinking of starting a thread like this for small businesses and freelancers but then saw this one so figured it would be appropriate to jump in. Any objections?
Id suggest making rent the last thing you pay of the things you have to pay out on. They can wait, and Tory governments are infinitely better at giving state money to landlords than workers. No one is going to be rushing to make evictions in this climate. ?

Really feel for everyone... Have lots of friends in the same position, in trades, editing, music, crewing, commission only sales, tutoring, zero hours pub work etc etc. All just dropped to zero money coming in.

Actually not sure how lockdown will effect sole trader painters, builders, plumbers etc just yet. Depends how strictly they lock it.

Id suggest making rent the last thing you pay of the things you have to pay out on. They can wait, and Tory governments are infinitely better at giving state money to landlords than workers. No one is going to be rushing to make evictions in this climate. ?

Really feel for everyone... Have lots of friends in the same position, in trades, editing, music, crewing, commission only sales, tutoring, zero hours pub work etc etc. All just dropped to zero money coming in.

Actually not sure how lockdown will effect sole trader painters, builders, plumbers etc just yet. Depends how strictly they lock it.

Thanks yeah, it is bottom of the list for sure, that and the PAYE payment to HMRC. All £500 of it. We're lucky that we generally get VAT rebates so that's one less headache.

Miss. Fire got made redundant last night. She was GM for a members club in town so that sucks as she was on OK money but the hospitality industry is fucked as you know. She has a redundancy meeting tomorrow.

But we're not alone, so many people in the same boat it's mad.

One of my freelance consultants just called and basically told me she's desperate. The only client she's got whos hiring is one I'm blacklisted from (for accidentally deleting their entire file system - which was backed up but it took a day). Hopefully they have a short memory and/or are desperate ;)

One of the freelancers I work with on a fairly big project (we are both not getting any work on this) just called for a chat. Him and his missus also run a catering business for small parties and events :facepalm: she has some cleaning work in an office and some houses too.

The catering work is all cancelled
The office has let her go from the cleaning job because everyone is working from home
The houses she cleaned for have let her go because everyone is working from home

FFS

I'm going to do what I thought I had no desire in doing and applying for a full time job. My normal summer work of freelance outdoor work appears not be happening. I've got a few employers holding on and saying they are working, but it's not looking good.

I guess I'm lucky enough I've got some skills I can fall back on, even if it's not want to be doing or paid that well.

I saw this today in the money saving expert email I get (which is very useful at the moment)

13) Got a train season ticket? You can get a partial refund for a small admin fee. While you can't pause a train season ticket, many firms will let you cancel and get a refund for the rest of the time (based on the cheapest way you could've bought tickets for the travel you've had, plus typically a £10 admin fee). So check if cancelling and rebooking later will be cheaper.
Yes I actually did that yesterday. Worked out pretty good. I got about £140 back from £180 (Already did three days).

Some bad news though. Two upcoming jobs have been cancelled. I'm working from home for the next three weeks then NOTHING.

In my line of work - copywriter - they've just postponed IR35 for a year, which is a biggie for anyone working in agencies.

Personally, I thought I took on too much work over Christmas/New Year, but so glad I did now, got a bit of a float but gonna need it in months ahead.

Spoke to one of my clients today, they are still planning to hold their "unveiling" event at the previously notified date - but probably almost certainly for invited guests only.

And I've got a couple of guys off "self-isolating" but probably * just coughs / colds * [ but the one guy who should stay home will not take the hints ]

In my line of work - copywriter - they've just postponed IR35 for a year, which is a biggie for anyone working in agencies.

Personally, I thought I took on too much work over Christmas/New Year, but so glad I did now, got a bit of a float but gonna need it in months ahead.
Same here, I thought I had been pushing it waaay too much before and after christmas. . . So I should be OK (shit I really need to invoice for all of that).
The mega bummer is that I was so burnt out that when I was offered 16 weeks at where I am currently working, I two only two four week blocks. Now all holidays are cancelled, so I can actually do the lot. . . plus working from home (even only after day one) is proving to be incredibly relaxing (I'm still at it now and not at all bothered that I'm working late).

Some info on loans and grants here:

"This fact sheet was put together by the Treasury and has a fairly decent overview of all of the measures available so far. This also includes information about payment holidays for Tax and National Insurance. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/.../Covid-19.... You can also call the HMRC helpline on 0800 0159 559.

Information about the British Business Bank and Corinavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme is available here: https://www.british-business-bank.co.uk/.../coronavirus.../ and you can call the Business Support Helpline on 0300 456 3565."

Moar stuff:

Have I got this bit about small businesses that already get rate relief correct ?
"10K instead of 3K and local authority will contact me, but money not available until April"

if so, that may be helpful - but could be too late for some

Wonder if the greedy twunts I have for landlords will be up for a rent holiday, even one of 3mths would help me.

Have I got this bit about small businesses that already get rate relief correct ?
"10K instead of 3K and local authority will contact me, but money not available until April"

if so, that may be helpful - but could be too late for some

Wonder if the greedy twunts I have for landlords will be up for a rent holiday, even one of 3mths would help me.

I'm in the same boat I think, although I'm not sure as to the answer.

We don't pay rates but the landlord will so not sure where I stand.

Chancellor is due to announce a load of new stuff tomorrow hopefully.

Matt Hancock and the lady from the TCU kinda spilled the beans on question time earlier i think. Sounds like there's huge new measures coming tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom