Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Freelancers during this crisis and the Self Employment Income Support Scheme

How much was your total government grant?

• £1-£99

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • £100-£199

• £200-£299

• £300-£499

• £500-£799

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • £800-£999

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • £1,000-£2,499

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • £2,500-£4,999

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • £5,000-£9,999

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Over ten grand - reeeeesult *champagne corks pop

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
I would’ve thought a substantial dip in your income for those periods would be enough to satisfy as that’s all they seem to suggest when applying.
I would imagine people with income that remained constant for those periods might get investigated.

Eta... I forgot, most self employed don’t get stopped anything monthly as I do under the CIS scheme so they are able scope what my income is monthly.

Last edited:
I assume that when the tax returns go in for the current year (so after january 31st 2022) they will look at those whose income has not dipped and check on those.

Little more detail -
In addition, the Government is continuing its support for millions of self-employed individuals by extending the Self Employment Income Support Scheme Grant (SEISS). An initial taxable grant will be provided to those who are currently eligible for SEISS and are continuing to actively trade but face reduced demand due to coronavirus. The initial lump sum will cover three months’ worth of profits for the period from November to the end of January next year. This is worth 20% of average monthly profits, up to a total of £1,875.

An additional second grant, which may be adjusted to respond to changing circumstances, will be available for self-employed individuals to cover the period from February 2021 to the end of April - ensuring our support continues right through to next year. This is in addition to the more than £13 billion of support already provided for over 2.6 million self-employed individuals through the first two stages of the Self Employment Income Support Scheme – one of the most generous in the world.
LINK

This kicks in from Nov., so fuck all for Sept. & Oct., when the employed on furlough gets 70% in Sept. & 60% in Oct. :mad:

This is only paid out if you are trading/earning, which luckily I am, but I am only earning about 30% of normal income.

Little more detail -

LINK

This kicks in from Nov., so fuck all for Sept. & Oct., when the employed on furlough gets 70% in Sept. & 60% in Oct. :mad:

This is only paid out if you are trading/earning, which luckily I am, but I am only earning about 30% of normal income.
Does this offer anything to those recently self employed?

My business really picked up over the summer and August was actually a better than average month so I had planned not to take the second grant. However I have just been unable to work for 2 weeks due to self-isolating :mad: so did take it. With three kids and having to stop working every time they get symptoms or someone in their class tests positive I can't see how I'm going to get through the next 6 months.

Unfortunately I am in my 3rd year of self-employment, and my first year (which the grant is based on) I was on maternity leave for 4 months so the amount of the grants has been about 80% of one month's income rather than 3 months :(

I'm not working at all and pretty sure I can't claim UC because my wife is working, and I'm not sure you even can go straight onto that from being self employed can you?
Had a sniff of maybe two jobs, but both seem to have now entered into radio silence. Are these new grants still under the terms of the last ones? I mean if normal work resumes (which I doubt) can I still claim? I will have now essentially lost half a years work and counting.

Not sure but no harm in applying?
Isn't there some slight harm, as I would have to leave my self employment status and then do all the signing up again when I got a job (which could happen at any time). I'd also not get the SEIC grants payouts surely?

Isn't there some slight harm, as I would have to leave my self employment status and then do all the signing up again when I got a job (which could happen at any time). I'd also not get the SEIC grants payouts surely?
Not to my knowledge. I am (was) self employed and the UC people said they would keep my account open. Also said they would 'top up' my earnings if needed. I am not a fan of the DWP but having a conversation with them is not going to hurt you. If you get a job then you can log in (it is easy) and change your circumstances, they will recalculate your payment.

You stay self employed, if you do any work you declare it and it gets taken off your UC.
What you get (if any) will depend on how much your wife earns though as they a couple entitlement is different to a single person one (basically less than two single people would get).
Definitely no harm in claiming.

Sunak has just announced grants for the self-employed have been doubled to 40% of previous earnings, for the next 3 months.

* ETA - There will be a second 3-month grant, the rate will be reviewed nearer the time.

Today’s announcement increases the amount of profits covered by the two forthcoming self-employed grants from 20 per cent to 40 per cent, meaning the maximum grant will increase from £1,875 to £3,750.

This is a potential further £3.1 billion of support to the self-employed through November to January alone, with a further grant to follow covering February to April.

Last edited:
I'm still absolutely fucked and having to eat through my savings until they go low enough so I can claim for Income Support.

You & me both, although I am slightly better of than you as at least I am earning about 30% of my normal income, my heart goes out to those that can't work at all, it's proper shit.

I am also miffed that we didn't get anything for Sept & Oct., whereas those of furlough got 70%.

Sunak has just announced grants for the self-employed have been doubled to 40% of previous earnings, for the next 3 months.

* ETA - There will be a second 3-month grant, the rate will be reviewed nearer the time.

Er, that's good I guess.
Am I still just allowed to claim for all of these? I mean am I still 'trading?'. I guess I am buying new equipment to set up and work 100% remotely, but the jobs keep falling through. Might have one next month. Will there be any point where the government might ask for this cash back if I claim now for Nov, Dec, Jan, but have a little work in that period?

Er, that's good I guess.
Am I still just allowed to claim for all of these? I mean am I still 'trading?'. I guess I am buying new equipment to set up and work 100% remotely, but the jobs keep falling through. Might have one next month. Will there be any point where the government might ask for this cash back if I claim now for Nov, Dec, Jan, but have a little work in that period?
It will be available to anyone who was previously eligible for the SEISS grant one and grant two, and meets the eligibility criteria.

That being the case, you should be OK, as long as there's some drop in income.

How the grant works
If you receive the grant you can:
  • continue to work
  • start a new trade or take on other employment including voluntary work and duties as a military reservist
The grant does not need to be repaid if you’re eligible, but will be subject to Income Tax and self-employed National Insurance. HMRC will work out if you’re eligible and how much grant you may get. But you can follow these steps to help you understand how we will do this and what you can do now.

I'd still have to lie on the form and I'm not comfortable with that.

Fair enough... there's also no forms anymore. It's all verbal over the phone. I don't have savings myself, but I know people who do who have done that.

I'd never been on benefits until this shit myself. I was surprised at how easy it was. You dont even need to prove you're looking for work (which I am). But they send you messages to that effect on your UC journal.

Fair enough... there's also no forms anymore. It's all verbal over the phone. I don't have savings myself, but I know people who do who have done that.

I'd never been on benefits until this shit myself. I was surprised at how easy it was. You dont even need to prove you're looking for work (which I am). But they send you messages to that effect on your UC journal.
It seems so unfair. This was money left by my Mum and it's just eking away while rich cunts are fucking rolling in dosh,

Er, that's good I guess.
Yes if you're open for business you are trading, not your fault the custoimers aren't there.

It seems so unfair. This was money left by my Mum and it's just eking away while rich cunts are fucking rolling in dosh,

I'm really sorry to hear that. But the way I'm looking at it is that I've paid tax all my working life so this is payback, and if I had savings I'd be claiming. I've finally got a new job anyway so will be coming off benefits and will be donating 10% of what I earn to my local food bank. I'd encourage others to do the same. I've been living on the bones of my ass for so many months now. I cannot imagine how fucking shit this winter is going to be for those on UC.

That being the case, you should be OK, as long as there's some drop in income.
Humm, seems OK. I certainly wouldn't have earned anywhere near the norm for the year without the grants. Actually, since April 1st I have only done 19 days, so I should be more than OK. I got almost a full grant every time.

This is good, I guess. So many in my line of work set themselves up as a limited company rather than sole trader. Not sure if they're being looked after now, but don't know how they're coping if not. I'd be even more royally fucked than I am already.

This is good, I guess. So many in my line of work set themselves up as a limited company rather than sole trader. Not sure if they're being looked after now, but don't know how they're coping if not. I'd be even more royally fucked than I am already.
My understanding is that those that paid themselves via dividend instead of PAYE are rather royally shafted in this and getting didley squat.

Back
Top Bottom