Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

France v England

Who's ya money on?

• Total voters
My thoughts exactly. Gerrard defended well but created little in terms of forward momentum, something he used to provide in spades. Looking at the squad it's hard to see where Hodgson can turn to strengthen his midfield, but hopefully he'll have realised that Ashley Young is never going to be much use in front of a flat four midfield. England looked a lot brighter once he was shifted back to the wing. Walcott should come in for Milner as well. I still think the absence of Barry and Lampard will cost us dear.

Gerrard was playing the role his manager asked him to play today - not a natural one for him but he did a job. England currently has very few world class players and one is injured - Rooney, Terry, Gerrard, Cole and Hart - lets hope they stay fit.

England defended well, but they held their shape almost to a fault. Nobody in midfield looked remotely keen to press forward and create anything, Oxlade-Chamberlain seemed so afraid of moving into space I'd swear he was agorophobic. This would be fine if the opposition were beating on the door, but France were nothing special either and they could easily have been beaten tonight.
This is what made me happy about the performance - i cant remember seeing an england side so disciplined, and IMO its a lack of discipline thats been englands downfall (apart from when we lose on penalties:D). More of the same during the group stages would be very welcome from me. Im sure they'll grow in confidence after the group stages, and open up a little more occasionally.

This is what made me happy about the performance - i cant remember seeing an england side so disciplined, and IMO its a lack of discipline thats been englands downfall
Yeah, agreed. When it comes down to it, France are better than us, so keeping our shape, maintaining discipline and sticking to the plan is what got us the point. Well, that and Lescott's forehead. I hope this gives them a bit more confidence for the coming matches - it should do, there were more positives from this game than I thought there would be.

Yeah, agreed. When it comes down to it, France are better than us, so keeping our shape, maintaining discipline and sticking to the plan is what got us the point. Well, that and Lescott's forehead. I hope this gives them a bit more confidence for the coming matches - it should do, there were more positives from this game than I thought there would be.
Yeah, I thought overall there were a lot of positives, and I must say we used the ball pretty well for about half the game. I do think we looked better defending higher up the pitch though, which you'd hope Hodgson will have noticed...

I do wonder what the plan for Ukraine's going to be now, I think Oxlade-Chamberlain, Young, Rooney behind Welbeck would be pretty exciting.

lol, but to be fair we did defend really well, considering the team has been in tatters lately we did put in a good effort, if the other teams arent as good as France then we might get through the group stages

oh and I thought Hart was excellent...

... sticking to the plan is what got us the point. Well, that and Lescott's forehead.
:D
well done the lad Lescott's forehead - it really gave a 110%
Yeah, I thought overall there were a lot of positives, and I must say we used the ball pretty well for about half the game. I do think we looked better defending higher up the pitch though, which you'd hope Hodgson will have noticed...

I do wonder what the plan for Ukraine's going to be now, I think Oxlade-Chamberlain, Young, Rooney behind Welbeck would be pretty exciting.
Id hope for pretty much exactly the same again, just push up more against hopefully weaker opposition (Ukraine spurred on by their home fans could be another upset). Im sure Rooney will make the odd charge or two to mix it up, and Defoe does familiarly at Suprs.

Ultimately this is what all the best teams do - hold their shape at all times - even when they get to the box if they cant find a way in they might revert to passing it around the midfield who have pushed up, rather than give the ball away on a less-than-half-chance. Not as exciting, and not in the spirit of the English league, maybe, but it's essential for international competitions, and especially so for a new team.

It sounds like credit has to go to Roy H - Im really pleased with this new regime, especially compared to the lowest point of England last world cup who played a formation of 11 dogs chasing a tennis ball, with the occasional hoof and hope for good measure

:D

Ultimately this is what all the best teams do - hold their shape at all times - even when they get to the box if they cant find a way in they might revert to passing it around the midfield who have pushed up, rather than give the ball away on a less-than-half-chance. Not as exciting, and not in the spirit of the English league, maybe, but it's essential for international competitions, and especially so for a new team.

this is what I noticed for the first time in years , you could see the formation sticking, now if they can keep it that way....

I thought the game was alright given it was played in sweltering heat and both teams were happy with a draw. Typical Hodgson team really, hard to beat and dangerous at set pieces, I'd like to see more ambition against Sweden and Ukraine as judging by their match last night they are there for the taking.

I was a bit disappointed with France as they appeared to have a second gear but never found it for whatever reason. I'd still be happy with qualification out of the group, anything else is a bonus.

There's every chance I wasn't paying enough attention, but I really didn't get the feeling we did this. Wellbeck was often incredibly isolated up front, and couldn't really hold onto the ball when he got it. We also still seemed to panic a bit and charge it forward rather than playing patient, letting other players come forward in support, and applying some real pressure.

Like I say though, I'm hardly the most nuanced of observers.

one of the great things about being welsh is that we dont have to go through this shit every few years. the false hopes... the will they wont they make the semi finals.. oh noes.. penalties against Germany... etc etc followed by the inevitable slagging off in the press and pictures of Wayne Rooney going into a lapdancing bar in Krakow (there is one just round the corner from the hotel they are at).

A good result against a team widely expected to get to the semis at least. The French dominated possession but only had a handful of decent chances, and it took a fantastic strike by Nasri to get them back on terms.

England are a very long way from being the best side in this tournament and I will still be happy if we are able to get out of the group. But Hodgson is making the best of what he has by making the team well-drilled and well-disciplined. We won't, but if we win this tournament like Greece did in 2004, I really won't give a fuck. I'd rather win it playing defensively and nicking the odd goal with pacy breaks than go out in the group stage playing expansive passing football.

A good result against a team widely expected to get to the semis at least.
by who? They were the only group winners with a worse record than england, with a shaky defence. They were widely expected to not get through the group stage. The England peformace was just about what was required (which makes it better than most English Euro openers) but nothing more.

one of the great things about being welsh is that we dont have to go through this shit every few years. the false hopes... the will they wont they make the semi finals.. oh noes.. penalties against Germany... etc etc followed by the inevitable slagging off in the press and pictures of Wayne Rooney going into a lapdancing bar in Krakow (there is one just round the corner from the hotel they are at).

I'd still rather have all that and qualify then being sat at home every summer. Its even shitter when we don't qualify.

but this way we get to support so many other teams, France last night then we can supprt sweeden and then ukraine. much more interesting this way IMO. Broadens our understanding of other countries as we learn about them prior to the matches

A massive improvement on Capello, who I genuinely don't think had a clue what he was doing. The team was set up by Hodgson to play in a particular way, and did just that. As said, it took a long-range cracker for France to score, on one of the few occasions when the man wasn't closed down quite quickly enough.

Be interesting to see how Hodgson approaches the next two games, but good so far, and clearly credit has to go to Hodgson for that.

I thought the game was alright given it was played in sweltering heat and both teams were happy with a draw. Typical Hodgson team really, hard to beat and dangerous at set pieces, I'd like to see more ambition against Sweden and Ukraine as judging by their match last night they are there for the taking.
There is also the factor that England have set up camp in Krakow, snubbing their Ukranian hosts, which means they flew in on Sunday night and didn't get a chance to acclimatise to the heat. That's risky I think

There's every chance I wasn't paying enough attention, but I really didn't get the feeling we did this. Wellbeck was often incredibly isolated up front, and couldn't really hold onto the ball when he got it. We also still seemed to panic a bit and charge it forward rather than playing patient, letting other players come forward in support, and applying some real pressure.

Like I say though, I'm hardly the most nuanced of observers.
I only saw the highlights :D (late one at work - bah) - I'm sure you're right.

There is also the factor that England have set up camp in Krakow, snubbing their Ukranian hosts, which means they flew in on Sunday night and didn't get a chance to acclimatise to the heat. .

I must admit, I was amazed when I heard that they had done that. They're not going to win many friends are they?

I must admit, I was amazed when I heard that they had done that. They're not going to win many friends are they?
On the plus side Krakow is a lovely city and im sure theyve got some top 5 star accomodation , whereas Ukranian 5 star may be a bit rougher. That must have been the thinking. But temperature differences are not to be sniffed at...then again, maybe France got zapped by being in the heat for longer? Its these kind of considerations that keep Talk Sport on air!

At times England looked like a team and passed it around really neatly. Where it fell down was defending too deep and inviting pressure, which France were only to happy to do.

Still 50/50 to get out of the group stage really. Wouldn't put it past Ukraine & Sweden being the teams that qualify. It's a difficult group.

magneze said:
At times England looked like a team and passed it around really neatly. Where it fell down was defending too deep and inviting pressure, which France were only to happy to do.

Still 50/50 to get out of the group stage really. Wouldn't put it past Ukraine & Sweden being the teams that qualify. It's a difficult group.

Seems about right. We really want a draw and a win minimum from the last two games to have a fair chance.

Back
Top Bottom