Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Foundry to be turned into Luxury Flats and Art'otel...

Here's the flip-bin design for the hotel:

1311_hotel.jpg

From The Londonist:
A new hotel planned for east London has united two disparate groups in opposition: the Victorian Society, and Hoxton hipsters. The cylindrical, bronzed aluminium-covered behemoth, part of Park Plaza's idiotically-named "Art'otels" range but with a profile that should see it dubbed the Flip-Top Bin, is proposed for a site on the corner of Old Street and Great Eastern Road. For shame, say local alehounds, as the location is currently home to The Foundry. A group of concerned citizens have started a Save The Foundry campaign, calling for the bar to be re-homed.

The Victorian Society is also opposed to the hotel, albeit for different reasons. It argues that the 350-room, 18-storey structure is too tall for the area, and not in character with the South Shoreditch Conservation Area's "distinctive nineteenth-century industrial character". While those points are debatable -- the junction is already surrounded by a modern hotel and a 70s tower block -- their opposition to the design is justified: it's a ruddy ugly building, and would instantly replace the contraption atop Old Street roundabout as the local eyesore.

There's a full selection of planning application documents on Hackney council's website, and an area to leave a comment, including an option to support or object to the proposal.

http://londonist.com/2009/11/hoxton_hotel_plan_upsets_local_booz.php

I went often enough to the Foundry, it was not really my sort of place. Squat like comfort and West End prices do not go together in my book.

it was cheaper than everywhere else in the area, and about 2/3 of west end prices.

It was 3 quid plus a pint the last time I went. Plus my arse went through the seat of a chair and there was no loo paper in the bog or lock on the door. The basement was infested with people, sorry artists rolling about like some deranged members of a David Ike set..

I did like sitting outside chatting to people and having a spliff whilst drinking beer from the off license.

I never liked that huge advertising hoarding that was covering up the first floor and hence meant the flats there never got let out.

it's £2.70 for stella. it's expensive if you order organic lager or something.
there are very few pubs that are less than £3 a pint for lager, west end is more like £4.

i went to a foundry clone last night - CAMP (City Arts & Music Project), on city road, just south of the old street roundabout. it's not exactly finished yet, but it has the makings of a decent space to put the kind of nights the foundry does

I was there a couple of weekends ago.

It was alright but a little bit characterless, I thought.

The 'Otel' was agreed at last nights sub-planning cttee. Good turn out from the foundry faithful and a rousing speech from Bill Drummond. The council are certainly pushing the developers to get everything right before final approval and both were actively trying to relocate the foundry. Whether this will turn out to be concrete is hard to say.

Regardless of my interest in the foundry bar I think the proposal is out of keeping with the area. The planning officers had made up their mind and spoke in an adversarial manner to convince the councillors it should be approved.

Foundry to close in Guardian

The open access policy is what makes this place unique. The proposal doesn't not replace this kind of cultural activity.

i went to a foundry clone last night - CAMP (City Arts & Music Project), on city road, just south of the old street roundabout. it's not exactly finished yet, but it has the makings of a decent space to put the kind of nights the foundry does

Wanted to like CAMP (I have been at a loss in that area ever since the original Dragon Bar got kicked out by the developers). But £3.80 for a pint of Guinness? I was shocked! Also the place stank of sick, but might have been unlucky. Nevertheless, won't bother going back.

They only have a two-year lease, I don't think it'll ever be 'finished'.

Only been there once so far but the new T-bar seems OK. Fairly decent space and a good sound system. Houndsditch nr Aldgate so not quite the same area but not far away.

Wanted to like CAMP (I have been at a loss in that area ever since the original Dragon Bar got kicked out by the developers). But £3.80 for a pint of Guinness? I was shocked! Also the place stank of sick, but might have been unlucky. Nevertheless, won't bother going back.

I had their curry once. It wasn't very good. I'm a bit meh about it, but only been in the once for lunch.

Ah well.

Not really been there too much in years. I'd be dissapointed if I still wanted to go there several times every week.

hadn't spotted that. Possibly it's a mistake, or possibly it's something to do with challenging and investigating the role of writers/artists within recently reclaimed spaces.... who knows.

Back
Top Bottom