Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Foundry to be turned into Luxury Flats and Art'otel...

black and white people drinking at the foundry 2 weeks ago :D

5413_116306838160_702973160_2229772_6906795_n.jpg

want to continue this down there or just sit ranting at your keyboard? if you drop in on friday i'm the guy on the left, i'll buy you a pint :D

The developers' notice in the photo on the OP mentions a 'space' for 'video artists'.

Wtf is a 'video artist'? Is that someone who wants to be a filmmaker or an animator but can't get a storyboard together?

it attracts a far far more mixed crowd than any other bar in the locality and has provided free space for unknown and unfunded artists to show their work for years.

THIS.

Yeah it's a shithole,but it's the only place in Shoreditch you can go if you have an ounce of crust in you and not get dodgy looks from rich pretentious shoreditch twats..and it's cheap.I totally agree with bearbot..

The superstore is fucking grot.Oh poor poor Dalston :(

returning to the question of the nature of the foundry's clientele, i haven't seen that many black people in there who weren't of an age to be students. nor have i seen many people living or working in the area in there. the drinkers seem to be a bunch of wannabe bohemians, students, former students trying to hold back the years, and artists who generally seem to have all the ability of a gnat's arse. i live down the way from the foundry, and places like charlie wright's or maybe the macbeth have a far more mixed crowd than the foundry. it caters very much for a niche market, and it's a niche which hoxton can well do without.
I don't know what's worse, your propensity to make strident generalisations about the motivations and professions of complete strangers you see in the pub, or your pompous claim to know what's 'right' for an area with respect to its drinking establishments.

I don't know what's worse, your propensity to make strident generalisations about the motivations and professions of complete strangers you see in the pub, or your pompous claim to know what's 'right' for an area with respect to its drinking establishments.

Quite.

I read the posts thinking "oh. I've only worked round there. And lived a few miles away."

Thing is, without people visiting, the area would be like it originally was. A semi derelict backwater that noone gives much of a shit about. And Charlie Wrights isn't all that. In my memory, it's where people went because everywhere else was shut. That's not a "statement maan", it's simply a late license.

Quite.

I read the posts thinking "oh. I've only worked round there. And lived a few miles away."

Thing is, without people visiting, the area would be like it originally was. A semi derelict backwater that noone gives much of a shit about. And Charlie Wrights isn't all that. In my memory, it's where people went because everywhere else was shut. That's not a "statement maan", it's simply a late license.
so you think it's better for the gentrification. if you wander down hoxton market or up towards shoreditch park you'll see that large parts of hoxton are a backwater no one, least of all the council, gives much of a shit about. but i suppose that you think that's all fine because of the visitors making the bar owners rich.

i don't think you can in all honesty describe student (or artist) as a profession. speaking of honesty, i was responding to boycey's assertion that the foundry has the most mixed clientele in the area, and i notice you don't quibble with my point that he's wrong. anyone who's wandered about shoreditch late at night and seen the state of the people coming out of the bars can assume that the people chucking all over the place and pissing in people's doorways have great concern about the locals. if the sort of establishments which promote such behaviour are iyo 'right' then i'd be pleased to be wrong.

so you think it's better for the gentrification. if you wander down hoxton market or up towards shoreditch park you'll see that large parts of hoxton are a backwater no one, least of all the council, gives much of a shit about. but i suppose that you think that's all fine because of the visitors making the bar owners rich.

oh and Charlie Wrights is a little locals pub. Well known for it's bar billiards and shove h'apenny.

You are being inconsistent.

oh and Charlie Wrights is a little locals pub. Well known for it's bar billiards and shove h'apenny.

You are being inconsistent.
as you point out, it's a pub. not a bar. you'd be hard pushed imo to describe places like the electricity showrooms or the foundry as a pub. so no, i don't think i'm being inconsistent.

Fight fight fight :rolleyes:

I don't know why you think that rigerously defending commerce in the face of art and fun is a good look.

So, err the quaint little Charlie Wrights (bouncers, late license, door queue etc) is how you'd like the area to return to it's roots?

The assertions that the Foundry has the most mixed clientele *do* hold up, if you look at the places on the main drag. Or maybe you're more up for the restaurants and wine bars that otherwise are beginning to dominate.

I doubt you are. I think you'd like the place back the way it was. But you're picking the wrong target.

So, err the quaint little Charlie Wrights (bouncers, late license, door queue etc) is how you'd like the area to return to it's roots?

The assertions that the Foundry has the most mixed clientele *do* hold up, if you look at the places on the main drag. Or maybe you're more up for the restaurants and wine bars that otherwise are beginning to dominate.

I doubt you are. I think you'd like the place back the way it was. But you're picking the wrong target.
stop being a dishonest twat. you're conceding at least the possibility charlie wright's has a more mixed clientele now, with your shifting of the goalposts from boycey's "any bar in the area" to "the places on the main drag". as i said near the start of the thread
i've always thought the nelson retreat a finer establishment, or the george and vulture. as for no pretensions, that's a bloody laugh.

the same thing happened up the angel and in barnsbury - it's happening in whitechapel - it'll be brixton's turn at some point to enjoy this late stage of gentrification.
the clear implication being that i prefer proper pubs to the utter shit which is so many of the bars in shoreditch. it's disppointing, but not wholly unexpected, to see you being so dishonest about all this.

i don't think you can in all honesty describe student (or artist) as a profession. speaking of honesty, i was responding to boycey's assertion that the foundry has the most mixed clientele in the area, and i notice you don't quibble with my point that he's wrong. anyone who's wandered about shoreditch late at night and seen the state of the people coming out of the bars can assume that the people chucking all over the place and pissing in people's doorways have great concern about the locals. if the sort of establishments which promote such behaviour are iyo 'right' then i'd be pleased to be wrong.
People being pissed and disorderly in well known nightspot shocker :D

How is any of this the Foundry's fault specifically?

I think you're talking bollocks about its diversity as well btw - as if it mattered... What would you have it do, hire some kind of ethnic monitoring officer to make sure it achieves it's quotas of minorities for the day or something?

:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom