Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Footballers Goodwillie and Robertson ruled as rapists

Bahnhof Strasse

Met up with Hannah Courtoy a week next Tuesday
Footballers Goodwillie and Robertson ruled as rapists - BBC News

A former Scotland international footballer and his ex-teammate have been ruled to be rapists and ordered to pay £100,000 damages despite never facing a criminal trial.

Denise Clair, who was left "devastated" by a Crown decision not to prosecute, sued striker David Goodwillie.

She also sued Goodwillie's then Dundee United colleague David Robertson.

She claimed they raped her at a flat in Armadale, in West Lothian, after a night out in Bathgate in January 2011.

It was the first civil rape case of its kind in Scotland.

Remarkably similar situation to Ched Evans, who is no longer a rapist...

Fucking hell. Just read what the security guy said about the state she was in and they took her back like that. Vile horrible bastards. Why aren't criminal charges being brought?

Because it's ruinously difficult to prove rape in 'his word against hers' type situations, even when it is established that the victim was in no fit state to give consent. If the alleged perpetrator is a public figure and/or he can afford top drawer lawyers, then forget it. Witness the Ched Evans appeal, in which his lawyers were somehow able to introduce irrelevant and inadmissable evidence to discredit the victim, even though it had no bearing on the known facts of Evans' behaviour.

I'm pretty shocked to see that Goodwillie was intending to cross-examine the woman himself. The judge had to prevent him. :(

A local footie board (Goodwillie played here for a while) makes for a pretty depressing read.

Because it's ruinously difficult to prove rape in 'his word against hers' type situations, even when it is established that the victim was in no fit state to give consent. If the alleged perpetrator is a public figure and/or he can afford top drawer lawyers, then forget it. Witness the Ched Evans appeal, in which his lawyers were somehow able to introduce irrelevant and inadmissable evidence to discredit the victim, even though it had no bearing on the known facts of Evans' behaviour.

I know how difficult it is. And I know that the reasons are. My post should have said: Criminal charges should be brought. These men have to answer for what they have done in a criminal court.

I know how difficult it is. And I know that the reasons are. My post should have said: Criminal charges should be brought. These men have to answer for what they have done in a criminal court.
The onus of proof in civil court is lower than crown court, guess the CPS didn't think there was a chance of a successful prosecution.

I'm pretty shocked to see that Goodwillie was intending to cross-examine the woman himself. The judge had to prevent him. :(

A local footie board (Goodwillie played here for a while) makes for a pretty depressing read.

Were the comments generally supporting him?

Not for his football skills - His time here was not particularly glorious and there were other rumours surrounding his departure after a fairly short spell.

But several people trying to play it right down, yes.

Not for his football skills - His time here was not particularly glorious and there were other rumours surrounding his departure after a fairly short spell.

But several people trying to play it right down, yes.

One wonders about such people. Could their at least tacit support, be extrapolated to a propensity?

Fucking hell. Just read what the security guy said about the state she was in and they took her back like that. Vile horrible bastards. Why aren't criminal charges being brought?
Not the bigger issue here, but it slightly begs the question why the security woman didn't call an ambulance. In a world of certified bouncers, the safety of punters is presumably part of their brief.

I see that Glasgow Utd. appear to be standing by Goodwillie though it is not clear if they have signed.
There are later stories asking the prosecutors to reopen the case.
:mad:
They're in danger of losing their ground if they proceed with his signed. The council that owns to ground says signing him sends a dangerous message in the club's attitude towards women.

I see that Glasgow Utd. appear to be standing by Goodwillie though it is not clear if they have signed.
There are later stories asking the prosecutors to reopen the case.
:mad:

This was the football club I supported as a kid - when they were still known as Shettleston Juniors - and to say I'm disappointed by their stance would be an understatement.

This was the football club I supported as a kid - when they were still known as Shettleston Juniors - and to say I'm disappointed by their stance would be an understatement.
if you are able, drop them a line or contact them via social media. The more responses they get that this is not ok, the more they are likely to not sign him.

This kind of shite is why I barely follow football anymore. So many players and fans hate women. Benjamin Mendy got more sympathy from his fellow players than Dele Alli did.

I love Sheffield Wednesday but if, say, Kevin Pressman or Barry Bannan or Keiren Westwood or whoever raped or abused someone, I wouldn't condone it. I didn't condone Carlton Palmer sexually assaulting a woman.

This kind of shite is why I barely follow football anymore. So many players and fans hate women. Benjamin Mendy got more sympathy from his fellow players than Dele Alli did.

I love Sheffield Wednesday but if, say, Kevin Pressman or Barry Bannan or Keiren Westwood or whoever raped or abused someone, I wouldn't condone it. I didn't condone Carlton Palmer sexually assaulting a woman.
Possibly over-generalising there.

Love football. Hate misogyny.

I know not all football fans are misogynists, I've got family and friends who are football fans and aren't like that at all, but I just feel increasingly alienated by the game today for a number of reasons. That and the last time I went to a match I was ill for a couple of days. It always triggers a fibro flare.

Back
Top Bottom