Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Footballer Marcus Rashford fights for free school meals

_112943398_guardian.jpg

_112943393_mirror.jpg

_112943395_ifrontpage17june.jpg

_112943397_star.jpg

_112943401_metrop1jun17-3.jpg

29673096-8426565-His_older_brother_Dwaine_has_been_his_agent_throughout_his_caree-m-98_1592319501189.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

Marcus Rashford's older brother Dwaine (left) has been his agent throughout his career, supported by his another brother Dane (right). They are pictured together outside the home in which they grew up.

Manages to call a young black man 'articulate'. I wonder where that came from. Not.
That was my first reaction too but it could well be that lots of footballers are not very articulate, and I'd try much inclined to the latter explanation.

Last edited:
Well done Marcus.
I'm taking nothing away from his contribution here but from what i can gather Johnson was about to be torn apart in parliament (again) by Labour so it was a case of doing a shameful u turn or yet another pathetic showing in parliament.
Johnson is well out his depth.
Marcus deserves to be shown some big respect from football supporters when they are allowed in stadiums again.

If by torn apart you mean asked politely to be a good chap and try and be 2% less of a cunt than usual if it's not trouble please thankyou please.

And up pops a rugger twat

Courtney Lawes, the Northampton and England lock, faced a backlash on Tuesday after suggesting it was important to be “financially secure and preferably married” before having children in order to reduce the levels of child poverty in the UK.

Lawes’ comments came in a tweet to Marcus Rashford, the Manchester United and England striker who helped successfully campaign to reverse the Government’s policy to end free school meals over the summer holidays, with Rashford’s efforts met with widespread acclaim.

In a post that was later deleted, Lawes replied to Rashford saying: “Great win mate, you've done a [sic] incredible thing for a lot of young people! Maybe now would be a good time to bring some attention to the important [sic] of being financially secure and preferably married before having kids?

“That would go a long way to treating a big part of the issue.”

only the financially responsible should have kids, obvs

the rest shouldn't be allowed to breed

that's the subtext to his post

A pedant begs to differ. He said 'secure' not responsible. Being financially responsible would rule in a lot of poor people who manage tight budgets constantly. And would rule out a lot of rich twats who blow money on all sorts of irresponsible shit. And that's definitely not what he meant.

It's massive middle-class privileged thinking. Or not even middle class, but having a steady job and family with secure incomes.

My (theoretical) kids would never go hungry, because before that happened I'd be able to go to my mum or my sister or my aunts or even my friends - any one of maybe 4 dozen people who love me and could afford to send me fifty or a hundred quid if my children had nothing to eat over the summer. Not a forever solution, but in a crisis, I could do that.

But if your family are living off foodbanks too, or if you don't have living family, or you had shitty, abusive family... Or if living in punitive austerity means you've had to go to that network again and again and you just can't ask again...

People who talk about people being able to afford kids, in my experience, might imagine what they would do if they were broke, but never account for all the invisible financial security nets that they have, but others don't.

It's massive middle-class privileged thinking. Or not even middle class, but having a steady job and family with secure incomes.

My (theoretical) kids would never go hungry, because before that happened I'd be able to go to my mum or my sister or my aunts or even my friends - any one of maybe 4 dozen people who love me and could afford to send me fifty or a hundred quid if my children had nothing to eat over the summer. Not a forever solution, but in a crisis, I could do that.

But if your family are living off foodbanks too, or if you don't have living family, or you had shitty, abusive family... Or if living in punitive austerity means you've had to go to that network again and again and you just can't ask again...

People who talk about people being able to afford kids, in my experience, might imagine what they would do if they were broke, but never account for all the invisible financial security nets that they have, but others don't.

Also, TBH, even those in comfortable situations can find that it's not as easy as that.

I am very wary of building this guy up, because everyone knows how that tends to go in Britain, but this is great :D

edit: I'm also an idiot, who manages to check if something is a spoof and still not actually realise that yes, it is a spoof.

Quite rich coming from a grifter who literally expects others to support her while she sits on her arse trolling all day.

EaoQ-8IX0AAO263.jpg

Right. Please point me to anywhere this has ever been suggested.
Ok. I just think yr post back there was silly wishful thinking. They’re not cowering in fear or running away from some great tide they just conceded one thing that was making them look bad. They’ve done plenty of embarrassing uturns so not sure it’s that big a deal tbh apart from obvs for the kids who get to not be hungry this summer because of it.

Ok. I just think yr post back there was silly wishful thinking. They’re not cowering in fear or running away from some great tide they just conceded one thing that was making them look bad. They’ve done plenty of embarrassing uturns so not sure it’s that big a deal tbh apart from obvs for the kids who get to not be hungry this summer because of it.

As someone who grew up with the Tory's demonising single mothers and endless headlines about poor people having too many babies it is a significant step to see them on the back foot so quickly. But hey, ho, I suppose I am just being "silly"...

I didn’t mean to spoil the party just don’t think they’re on any back foot, they’re just rolling on like a machine that barely notices a little bump in the road.

"footballers writing letters", "silly wishful thinking", "spoil the party". Interesting that you consider this matter so trivial.

Not interested in fighting with you kenny g i'm not the enemy i just don't agree with your thing about 'their sneers have turned to fear'. What is it you think they are afraid of? Do you think this latest embarrassing backdown will change their behaviour in some meaningful way for the next 4 years?

Last edited:
I think what’s clear after this is that the government is more afraid of headlines when those headlines aren’t driven by Labour, and that Labour can’t quite generate headlines by themselves.

Any opposition is going to have to do a Cool Britannia copy of Blair and get in bed with the celebs and preferably ones the tories can’t label as cosmopolitan elites to generate change and publicity.

Sad state of affairs really.

Not interested in fighting with you kenny g i'm not the enemy i just don't agree with your thing about 'their sneers have turned to fear'. What is it you think they are afraid of? Do you think this latest embarrassing backdown will change their behaviour in some meaningful way for the next 4 years?

Likewise. I think they are afraid of mass disorder, of losing their newly blue seats as quickly as they gained them, of people realising that it isn't actually that difficult to feed and house everyone, and that the only reason this hasn't happened to date is that the threat of homelessness and hunger is used as a means of keeping people working in situations they would jump at the chance to never go back to. They are afraid that people will realise that the current State has been unable to provide a level of safety, security, health or education in a time of crises. That the social contract is a charade.

Look at the DM comments, no change there, really

remember, in the U.S, many people think food stamps are too much!

But, yes the Red Wall Tories feel very insecure, and some, i say some, are genuinely concerned about the issues, etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom