Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Footballer Marcus Rashford fights for free school meals

Fuck me the boy done good. Can you expect him to turn down the honours? He has twice made the government U turn and is only just in his twenties.
Grew up knowing hunger & has my total respect.

Especially as his mum is there :thumbs:

Totally. Not my thing at all, and my mum would be pocketing everything that wasn't nailed down, but you can't hold his accepting this against him, unlike the rockers who espouse anarchy but still accept the gong , "as it would be churlish to turn it down".

Fuck me the boy done good. Can you expect him to turn down the honours? He has twice made the government U turn and is only just in his twenties.
Grew up knowing hunger & has my total respect.

Especially as his mum is there :thumbs:

I believe that he's better placed to do more good with the honour than without. Sticks in the craw myself but let's face it, had Rashford fucked it off, the media witch-hunt on him would have made any progress on his campaigns impossible.

The honour at the end of your name often helps to open doors that would otherwise remain closed - useful for a good cause. Not sure as a footballer he needs that extra access as he is a big enough name.

My friends dad had an OBE (I think) for his work with woodlands I believe. He had to write to them to return the award when his dad passed away.

Do feel that the concept especially the BE bit is highly problematic though.

He's accomplished what he has by being pro-kids, not anti-establishment. If he fucked off the MBE or otherwise went on the attack the media would stop publicising his work and that would make him less effective. That's a shit state of affairs but it's not one of Rashford's making. Fact is he saw something wrong and helped make it better. That, and not his acceptance or otherwise of some stupid bauble, is what defines him.

Has Rashford even claimed to be some kind of revolutionary communist or whatever? Because that's the only reason I'd be bothered about him choosing to accept that kind of award.
Surely you don't have to be one of them to accept a fucking gong and bow to fucking royalty
The more people refuse the more ridiculous it is

Back
Top Bottom