Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Footballer Marcus Rashford fights for free school meals

More Rashford: Marcus Rashford takes on Deliveroo after minimum wage controversy exposed

Marcus Rashford is to hold emergency talks with Deliveroo after a Mirror investigation revealed riders on thousands of shifts are averaging less than the minimum wage.

The food delivery firm is a major backer of the footballer’s End Child Food Poverty Task Force and also sponsor the England team kit.

However a report by the Daily Mirror, the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and ITV News uncovered how some riders working for the firm are facing debt while boss, Will Shu prepares for a stock market flotation that could net him £500million.

One worker told us: “You have Deliveroo backing Marcus Rashford’s food campaign but some of my colleagues are earning barely enough to live on.”

Rashford and his England team-mates are due to play San Marino at Wembley tonight.

"Marcus is currently within the confines of the national team camp but will discuss the investigation with the Senior team at Deliveroo in detail at the earliest opportunity,” a spokeswoman said.

"The Child Food Poverty Taskforce was built to support the most vulnerable children across the UK. Minimum wage is the absolute starting point to stabilising households where children are vulnerable. This discussion will be had privately to acquire clarity."

Shocking that we're having to rely on footballers to sort these kinds of issues out, surely this should be Jedward's job?

... and for books for children too ...

Marcus Rashford vows to reach children who have never owned book

ExPjOgjWgAo8_CV

"Each chapter of the book will begin with a story from Rashford’s own life and cover topics such as the value of education, positive mentality, understanding culture and female role models."

To kick off the Marcus Rashford Book Club, Macmillan Children’s Books has partnered with children’s food charity Magic Breakfast to donate 50,000 free books, reaching more than 850 primary schools across England and Scotland ...

Good work:

Marcus Rashford Book Club kicks off with Puri and 50,000 free books

Brilliant stuff. He's a real inspiration.

To kick off the Marcus Rashford Book Club, Macmillan Children’s Books has partnered with children’s food charity Magic Breakfast to donate 50,000 free books, reaching more than 850 primary schools across England and Scotland.

Magic Breakfast offers healthy breakfasts to around 170,000 children each school day. The free books will be divided between the primary schools it currently supports. Each will be offered an allocation of books to distribute among some of their children to own and take home.

Rashford commented: “For too long, the joy of reading has been restricted by whether or not a family has the contingency budget to purchase books. The children who often miss out are those on free school meals and users of breakfast clubs, who more than likely need fiction, and non-fiction, to escape reality from time to time. We haven't been affording these children the option of reading for fun but that changes today.

“Everyone is aware of my experiences with breakfast club — it brightened up the start of my day, it stabilised the school day for me, allowed me to engage in reading and allowed me to form life-long friendships. I'm really happy to be partnering with Magic Breakfast to get our books in the hands of children that need them most.”

He added: “I'm proud to have Pooja join us too. She writes in a way that is engaging, escapist and authentic. Pooja is super talented and I'm a big fan, and I'm sure that the recipients of her book, A Dinosaur Ate My Sister, will soon be fans of hers too.”

A new title in the Marcus Rashford Book Club will launch in the autumn as part of an arrangement that will see two books a year getting into the hands of children who need them most.

I've no doubt he's a good guy. Generous, righteous, so stop digging me out every couple of months over it as if you've finally 'got' me. Or at least make some kind comment when you do. Or read subsequent posts where I've said we could do with more like Rashford.

I've no doubt he's a good guy. Generous, righteous, so stop digging me out every couple of months over it as if you've finally 'got' me. Or at least make some kind comment when you do. Or read subsequent posts where I've said we could do with more like Rashford.
Or maybe you should just keep your mouth shut

Why are you so determined to belittle the incredible achievements of a young working class kid who has done so much to improve the lives of those living in poverty?

What's motivating you?

It's not that, try reading the post you've quoted where I praise him. It's people like GarveyLives saying 'well done'. I agree with your sentiments. I've said as much. It's all a bit weird tbh.

Why are you so determined to belittle the incredible achievements of a young working class kid who has done so much to improve the lives of those living in poverty?
What makes him all the more remarkable in my eyes is seeing how so many of his peers react to their massive wealth; fighting in £1000-a-bottle clubs, hookers, general cuntury, yes this man does enjoy his wealth but using some of it and all of his position to help kids who were like him before he got the wealth, he’s truly the very best there is. And I bet he gets a bigger buzz out of this than any magnum of champagne with sparklers in a VIP area could ever give him.

He's a good guy. An inspiration, a role model. But we are fucked don't forget. And more so if we are celebrating philanthropy and philanthropists to keep kids fed. He's being used by the establishment.

He's a good guy. An inspiration, a role model. But we are fucked don't forget. And more so if we are celebrating philanthropy and philanthropists to keep kids fed. He's being used by the establishment.

And there you go again, putting him down with crass accusations.

He's only being "used" in the same way that the (this) establishment uses anybody - they'll co-opt any good work done by someone (Rashford, the NHS vaccination program, etc) and try to wrap themselves in it to claim some credit. I don't think that's an argument against him, nor that he should somehow stop what he is doing because it's being co-opted by our venal, pissant government.

Back
Top Bottom