Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Films you have walked out on*

Reasons to stay in a film you aren't enjoying/hate:

Your companions are staying in
You are being paid to review it/Some academic reason
You are tied to your chair with a gun to the head
You want to loudly proclaim how shit it is to annoy the other cinema goers

And, frankly, one of those is a bit dodgy.
I'd add (probably also dodgy):

Other people are walking out for bigoted reasons and you don't want to give grist to their mill.

(I wanted to leave My Own Private Idaho cos I thought it was pretentious nonsense and I was really bored but loads of people were leaving with much tutting about gay sex and rent boys so I stayed. :oops:)

There were a few on a similar theme iirc though maybe not all with Tom Berenger... :hmm:
That sounds very familiar to one of the Edward Woodward Equalizer films? He goes to a school full of offensive 80s stereotype of Latinos (=gangbanger) as a supply teacher?

That sounds very familiar to one of the Edward Woodward Equalizer films? He goes to a school full of offensive 80s stereotype of Latinos (=gangbanger) as a supply teacher?
Dunno, just remember there were a few variations on that theme (not sure ive seen any of them tbh).

I don't go to the cinema very often, but when I do I generally tend to fall asleep.

The local cinema used to do cheap afternoon flicks for the kids on a Sunday and I always looked forward to 90 minutes nap whist the kids were entertained.

I went to see Barbie after not entering a cinema for over 10 years and did briefly catch a kip even though I was enjoying the film.

I only ever remember walking out, with a couple of friends from Cobra Verde, after about 20 minutes, because we all though it was shite.
Yeah, doubt I've ever actually walked out of any films but must've fallen asleep to loads and loads of them, isn't the main reason they make films to help people get to sleep? Don't think I've fallen asleep in the cinema but definitely done it loads of times at home or on mates' sofas.
Best film I can ever remember seeing for walkouts was when a place near me did a free showing of Aronofsky's Mother for mother's day, think there were a fair few people who'd turned up not quite knowing what the film was going to be like.

Best film I can ever remember seeing for walkouts was when a place near me did a free showing of Aronofsky's Mother for mother's day, think there were a fair few people who'd turned up not quite knowing what the film was going to be like.
Loads of people walked when I saw that (it wasn't Mother's Day mind). I thought it was v funny. 🤷‍♀️

Took my daughter to see a kids film called Cats and Dogs when she was maybe 4. Had to leave after about 20 mins as she was terrified.

Personally, only The Dark Knight has ever caused me so much pain that I desperately wanted to leave. Couldn't though as I was with mrs mx.

But I generally avoid cinemas as I haven't got the attention span to sit through movies. If I want to see a film, I wait for the DVD.

I left Cocaine Bear about 15 minutes before the end. It wasn't that good but I didn't hate it, I just needed to go to the loo and thought I might as well leave as it wasn't really worth coming back just for a few minutes.

W T F!
The 'boring' bits?
The film is a whole and tottaly ruined if you just jump to the end.
The fact that it doesn't stick to genre tropes is one of (one of) the things that elevates it.

Absolute disgrace.
Well I do feel it's how you approach a piece of art in terms of one's appreciation of it.

True story.

My mate landed a production runner gig on Reservoir Dogs back in the day. Now the editing on that movie is so bad it obviously fucks up the chronology of the story. It's on the screen (you can get a fan 'director's' cut with it in correct chronological order).

What Dave told me was Quentin had run out of money and had literally barricaded himself in the editing suite against the banging of the investors outside while he spliced too quickly hence the mistakes. How did Dave know this? He had his back on the door while Tarantino was attempting to finish.

What we eventually got was a kind of inadvertent Bowie cut up technique of a movie.

Tarantino got lucky because the audience thought it was intentional. If you want to reach the artistic heights of a Disney or Mann you've just got to budget better IMHO.

ETA: And Dave told me the original version had a happy ending but Tarantino didn't have time to finish that either.

Last edited:
What the fuck are you on about?

You fast forwarded through Audition to the end and your excuse is that a mate of yours held a door shut while Quentin Tarrentino cut Reservoir Dogs?
Watching Audition properly just makes it a better film. Miike Takashi can be very hit and miss, and a lot of his artistic judgements are made due to money and time (well they used to be in the earlier part of his carrier). Audition is a good film planned and executed well. You heard the gruesome bit was at the end so just cut straight to that, missing out on what makes the film a true gem.

Took my daughter to see a kids film called Cats and Dogs when she was maybe 4. Had to leave after about 20 mins as she was terrified.

Personally, only The Dark Knight has ever caused me so much pain that I desperately wanted to leave. Couldn't though as I was with mrs mx.

But I generally avoid cinemas as I haven't got the attention span to sit through movies. If I want to see a film, I wait for the DVD.
Oh, that's reminded me, I did 'walk out' of a film.
My dad took me to see Bambi. I wanted a wee, but I wouldn't go in the cinema so they took me home. I don't think we got very far in.
I have probably misremembered that properly, but my dad is now too old to remember so the event is lost to the mists of time.

Either way, I left the cinema during bambi and have never seen the end. . . I'm not even sure I got to the bit where his mum got shot.

Oh, that's reminded me, I did 'walk out' of a film.
My dad took me to see Bambi. I wanted a wee, but I wouldn't go in the cinema so they took me home. I don't think we got very far in.
I have probably misremembered that properly, but my dad is now too old to remember so the event is lost to the mists of time.

Either way, I left the cinema during bambi and have never seen the end. . . I'm not even sure I got to the bit where his mum got shot.
Spoilers!

At the cinema? Only Pearl Harbour. Almost left at the interval, but got another beer and appreciated the air conditioning instead.

I remember being enormously disappointed with this, having been looking forward to it for ages. Utter shit. I stayed, hoping it would get better, but it got worse.

The only time I've walked out of a film was Buena Vista Social Club, partly because I can't stand that style of music, and partly because it turned out I was having a massive allergic reation to my dinner and needed to go to the toilet to vom. At the time though I blamed it on the film.

That said, whilst I didn't walk out of the cinema for Dude, Where's My Car?, I do remember the only time anyone in the cinema laughed at all was when someone else in the cinema farted.

I’ve just started watching The Equalizer cos the 3rd is out and I ain’t seen the first two, nor have I ever seen more than a few minutes of the original tv show (great theme tune though).
I’ve given up already cos it seems Robert McAll is just a violent busybody who ought to mind his own business. The film starts with him inspecting an overweight colleague’s sandwich and shaming him for his choices, the judgy fat-shaming sticky beak.

The A-Team had a similar premise without the self-importance.

(Will probably give Denzel another go tomorrow cos there are apparently stylish killings galore in store)
I really loved Denzel in the first 2 - and yes, the killings are incredibly violent and inventive. Pushing the DIY weaponry seen in the Jason Bourne films to a new level.

I’ve struggled with some of the Coen Brothers films - too much unfocused meaningless dialogue that makes what plot there is even more obscure and then too many loose ends are left hanging at what passes for the end. Everyone raves about “Fargo” but it didn’t do it for me. I might try them again as it’s been a long time and I led a much more chaotic life at the time. If they elicit the same reaction then I’ll just have to accept that it’s all gone over my head.

"The Draughtsman's Contract" - just did not get it.

I was a big fan of Peter Greenaway in the 80s - though not his 'big hit' (the cook the thief his wife and her lover).
I think I perhaps actually just liked the music of Michel Nyman . . .
I did buy the soundtrack to this one, but I think it is easily the worst of musically. I do remember The Draftsmans Contract (I think I must have seen it late night on channel 4) being a bit hard going without the more tuneful bouncy stabs of something like a Zed and Two Noughts (best soundtrack).

As an aside. . . the best score I ever got on pointless final was when one of the categories was 'the films of Peter Greenaway'. All three choices Pointless.
"Texas Chainsaw Massacre" - obvious reasons.
Not watched this yet. Someone gave me the DVD recently. I meant to watch it when I was reviewing the DVD release of the remake (back in 2004 I think?) but the film company sent me an empty box and I couldn't be arsed to go to HMV.

I’ve struggled with some of the Coen Brothers films - too much unfocused meaningless dialogue that makes what plot there is even more obscure and then too many loose ends are left hanging at what passes for the end. Everyone raves about “Fargo” but it didn’t do it for me. I might try them again as it’s been a long time and I led a much more chaotic life at the time. If they elicit the same reaction then I’ll just have to accept that it’s all gone over my head.
If there's a dedicated thread already then I'll reawaken it; I have often visualised the Coen Brothers Graph as looking like the maths teacher has tried to show everything on the one page: steep climb of greatness, and then nothing but insane sinewaves of quality every since.

steep climb of greatness, and then nothing but insane sinewaves of quality every since.
I thought blood simple was one of their best. More so than some of the more recent films.
Even though as a whole their films can be hit or miss, they are definitely all worth watching. They somehow simultaneously follow and subvert several film making tropes. . . and actually, when I say 'hit or miss', in terms of the Coens, it's more like 'Absolute classic or decent film'.
Fargo is one of my least favorites, but everyone seems to love it.

I thought blood simple was one of their best. More so than some of the more recent films.
Even though as a whole their films can be hit or miss, they are definitely all worth watching. They somehow simultaneously follow and subvert several film making tropes. . . and actually, when I say 'hit or miss', in terms of the Coens, it's more like 'Absolute classic or decent film'.
Fargo is one of my least favorites, but everyone seems to love it.
Yeah, first time found it ok , like The Big Lebowski, took another watch to get into it and fully appreciate the brilliance of it.

Whereas Hudsucker Proxy fell for it immediately.

Yeah, first time found it ok , like The Big Lebowski, took another watch to get into it and fully appreciate the brilliance of it.

Whereas Hudsucker Proxy fell for it immediately.
I was taken by Lebowski straight away as I recall. I think the Hudsucker Proxy is one that I wasn't into. I think I should give them all a bit of a watch again.
Raising Arizona was the one that first got me excited. I caught it on C4 and it blew me away. . , on re-viewings it slowly lost it's appeal though. One of the things I really liked about it was that I missed the beginning. I really enjoyed the unintentional mystery that not knowing exactly the situation I had been dropped into created.
I really enjoyed A Serious Man, though I am aware that it's not one of their popular favourites.

I wish the Ballard of Buster Scrugs was a proper full length feature.

My dad walked out of A Clockwork Orange, and didn't go to the pictures (except for kids' pictures with us) for ten years.

He broke his boycott with a flick that starred Jack Nicholson and Meryl Streep as wandering hoboes in 30s America. After about an hour showing just why they called it "the Depression", the drains in the cinema toilets failed, and the auditorium was filled with the great smell of

Last edited:
I was taken by Lebowski straight away as I recall. I think the Hudsucker Proxy is one that I wasn't into. I think I should give them all a bit of a watch again.
Raising Arizona was the one that first got me excited. I caught it on C4 and it blew me away. . , on re-viewings it slowly lost it's appeal though. One of the things I really liked about it was that I missed the beginning. I really enjoyed the unintentional mystery that not knowing exactly the situation I had been dropped into created.
I really enjoyed A Serious Man, though I am aware that it's not one of their popular favourites.

I wish the Ballard of Buster Scrugs was a proper full length feature.
The only one I really didn’t get on with was Inside Llewelyn Davies one, which is almost as dull as the music played in it

Back
Top Bottom