Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2021

Masi explains “very rare” communication with Wolff in F1 broadcast first
Mercedes boss Toto Wolff’s complaint to FIA race director Michael Masi about Nikita Mazepin during the Spanish Grand Prix marked a broadcasting first for Formula 1. On Lap 26, a frustrated radio message from Wolff to race control was broadcast as the Austrian claimed Haas rookie Mazepin was ignoring blue flags and subsequently holding up Lewis Hamilton. “Michael, blue flags,” Wolff said. “Michael, this guy makes us lose the position.”

While teams do have the capability to directly contact race control during races, Masi said he “very rarely” hears from Wolff. Masi explained that F1 and the FIA have been working for some time to broadcast communications between the teams and race control, with the new feature debuting in Barcelona. “It actually came about through a discussion at an F1 Commission meeting last year,” Masi said. “So they [viewers] could hear as part of the broadcast the communications between the FIA and the teams, which is a regular part of what we do operationally. Yesterday was the first time that it started [being available to broadcast].”

The teams were told during the weekend that their messages to race control may be broadcast live by F1. “So the F1 Group, through their broadcasts, have been doing some trials in the background, have seen what that looks like,” Masi added. “And all the teams were advised and this weekend’s the first time it’s gone live to air.”

Despite appearing to be held up behind Mazepin, Hamilton eventually triumphed in Barcelona. Helped by a bold Mercedes strategy call, the seven-time world champion overturned a 23-second deficit in just 18 laps before overtaking Verstappen six laps from the end. It marked Hamilton’s third victory from the opening four races this season and extends his advantage at the top of the championship to 14 points over the Red Bull driver.

Hamilton is beating Verstappen ‘easily’ Ecclestone
Lewis Hamilton will “easily” beat Max Verstappen to the 2021 title, according to former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone. When the new season kicked off in Bahrain, Red Bull appeared to have the edge over Mercedes. But after Hamilton won his second consecutive race last Sunday, which was his third victory out of the four grands prix so far in 2021, the international media thinks the Mercedes driver now has the upper hand.

“Verstappen is the future, but Hamilton is undoubtedly still the present,” declared the Spanish sports daily AS.

Swiss daily Tages Anzeiger agrees: “Verstappen does everything right, overtaking Lewis Hamilton in the first corner – and doesn’t win the Spanish GP.”

Giorgio Terruzzi, writing in Corriere della Sera, said: “We are already running out of superlatives for Lewis Hamilton. “What else does Max Verstappen have to do? Hamilton is simply driving his Mercedes in an unbeatable way.”

And Umberto Zapelloni wrote in La Gazzetta dello Sport: “Hamilton is the one who makes the difference, because Bottas’ result shows that he would not have been able to beat Max.”

Hamilton’s form has also convinced 90-year-old Ecclestone that Formula 1 will crown its first ever eight-time world champion later this year. “This sport now has two drivers at eye level again, as used to be the case with Senna and Prost,” the former F1 CEO told Blick newspaper. “But unfortunately I have to take away the hopes of the supporters of the fighter from Holland because Hamilton is driving better than ever before. Thanks also to Verstappen, Lewis is now flawless, calm and clever. He doesn’t get involved in problems and always gives his opponent the space and respect they need to survive.”

Ecclestone also thinks Hamilton now has his personal and professional lives in balance. “All of that makes him even stronger in the cockpit,” he agrees. “Max may be on par with his driving skills, but Lewis can always rely on having the better team and more reliable equipment behind him. Without any strange incidents, Lewis will easily become world champion for the eighth time.”

Hamilton explains why he didn't defend aggressively against Verstappen
Lewis Hamilton wasn't all that worried about letting Max Verstappen past on the opening lap of the F1 Spanish Grand Prix, stating that his mind is always on the long game. The two championship rivals came close to touching in the run down to Turn 1, with the Dutchman eventually squeezing out the Brit to take the lead. Hamilton explained that he gave Verstappen some space as a race is a marathon, not a sprint, and so he didn't feel the need to be aggressive. "In my mind, it’s always a marathon, not a sprint, so I’m just always thinking the long game and sure, you could be a little bit more aggressive. Do I need to?," Hamilton told members of the media. "Well, I’m in the position that I’m in because I don’t get too aggressive when I don’t need to be." Hamilton added that there was even a moment prior to Turn 1 when he could have prevented Verstappen from getting the inside line. "I think in hindsight there could have been a moment, looking back, that when Max moved in behind me for a second, I could have pulled across and sealed the job there but I didn’t," Hamilton added. "And then, as we went into Turn 1, I just made sure I gave as much space as I could to Max."

Did the C4 highlights (managed to dodge the results) on Sunday evening.

Not an exciting track so was not expecting much. Some good drives and, as ever Hamilton imperious. Did not feel in doubt to me despite the gap.

Verstappen start was excellent and he did little or nothing wrong. Just facing an unstoppable force in Hamilton.

Bottas was unremarkable :rolleyes: but fair play for 3rd

One for the Nico fans :)
FORMER Mercedes Formula 1 driver Nico Rosberg has taken a tumble in his native Monaco last week after the 2016 F1 champ dropped his Energica outside a swanky hotel and ended up getting pinned underneath it! While filming on the eve of the Formula E race weekend from the principality that has been his home for so long, Nico takes his 964k subscribers on a lap around some of the highlights of the tight and twisty street course aboard his one-off Energica sports bike. Towards the mid-point of the video, Nico heads off to grab his passes for the weekend from a friend of his, meeting him in the lobby of a posh hotel. After stashing the passes in his inside pocket, he edges the bike forwards, sadly though he looks like he runs out of steering lock and un-ceremonially tumbles from his bike right under the front bumper of an Audi car. The biggest mistake that Rosberg made in the clip was trying to hold on to the 258kg machine, and Rosberg ends up pinned between the bike and the gap under the Audi’s front bumper, legs in the air, totally stuck.
Nico%20Rosberg%201.JPG

Nico%20Rosberg-03.JPG

F1 feud kicks up a notch as officials intervene after Hamilton’s ‘surprising’ jab
The FIA will introduce a new series of compliance tests next month after a veiled swipe from Lewis Hamilton appeared to place rivals Red Bull under officials’ microscope. Hamilton subtly suggested at the Spanish Grand Prix that Red Bull had picked up straight-line speed illegally with the aid of a flexible rear wing. Formula One’s rules ban flexible rear wings, which can give teams the best of both worlds by reducing drag down the straights without sacrificing downforce in the corners.

Hamilton told Sky Sports in Spain: “The Red Bulls are really fast on the straights. “They have this bendy wing on the back of their car which they put on today and they gained at least three tenths from this wing. So they will be quicker down the straights than us.” The FIA has long tested cars for flexible rear wings but, with suggestions circling that Red Bull has found a way to beat the system, F1’s governing body has been forced to act. Motorsport.com reports that the FIA will put new tests in place ahead of the French Grand Prix having admitted that it is concerned teams may be exploiting the rules.

In a note seen by the publication, the FIA wrote to teams that it is aware some designs “exhibit excessive deflections while the cars are in motion”, even if they passed static testing. “We believe that such deformations can have a significant influence on the car’s aerodynamic performance,” the note reportedly adds. Red Bull chief Christian Horner was adamant that his team has done nothing wrong, saying: “The FIA are completely happy with the car, that it has passed all of those tests that are pretty stringent.” Of Hamilton’s comments, Horner said that the world champion may have been echoing the thoughts of Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff, instead of his own. “I was surprised to see his comments on that,” Horner said. “But it’s something that Toto has mentioned to me previously. I doubt it was Lewis’ opinion, so (it) probably came from elsewhere.” Wolff confirmed that Mercedes had discussed the issue, but refused to comment further. Teams will still have Grands Prix in Monaco, Azerbaijan and Turkey before the new wing testing commences.

Formula 1's governing body has launched a clampdown on flexible rear wings amid suspicions teams are bending the rules.

The move comes after Lewis Hamilton claimed Red Bull used a "bendy" wing, increasing straight-line speed.

The governing body has written to teams saying it had "become aware" some rear wings passed tests but had "excessive deflections while cars are in motion".

The FIA has told teams it will introduce new load-deflection tests from 15 June.

F1 feud kicks up a notch as officials intervene after Hamilton’s ‘surprising’ jab
The FIA will introduce a new series of compliance tests next month after a veiled swipe from Lewis Hamilton appeared to place rivals Red Bull under officials’ microscope. Hamilton subtly suggested at the Spanish Grand Prix that Red Bull had picked up straight-line speed illegally with the aid of a flexible rear wing. Formula One’s rules ban flexible rear wings, which can give teams the best of both worlds by reducing drag down the straights without sacrificing downforce in the corners.

Hamilton told Sky Sports in Spain: “The Red Bulls are really fast on the straights. “They have this bendy wing on the back of their car which they put on today and they gained at least three tenths from this wing. So they will be quicker down the straights than us.” The FIA has long tested cars for flexible rear wings but, with suggestions circling that Red Bull has found a way to beat the system, F1’s governing body has been forced to act. Motorsport.com reports that the FIA will put new tests in place ahead of the French Grand Prix having admitted that it is concerned teams may be exploiting the rules.

In a note seen by the publication, the FIA wrote to teams that it is aware some designs “exhibit excessive deflections while the cars are in motion”, even if they passed static testing. “We believe that such deformations can have a significant influence on the car’s aerodynamic performance,” the note reportedly adds. Red Bull chief Christian Horner was adamant that his team has done nothing wrong, saying: “The FIA are completely happy with the car, that it has passed all of those tests that are pretty stringent.” Of Hamilton’s comments, Horner said that the world champion may have been echoing the thoughts of Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff, instead of his own. “I was surprised to see his comments on that,” Horner said. “But it’s something that Toto has mentioned to me previously. I doubt it was Lewis’ opinion, so (it) probably came from elsewhere.” Wolff confirmed that Mercedes had discussed the issue, but refused to comment further. Teams will still have Grands Prix in Monaco, Azerbaijan and Turkey before the new wing testing commences.

Bit naughty of Red Bull. Didn’t they do something similar a few years back with a bendy bib at the front of their floor, which was engineered to pass the specific test methodology the FIA were using, but which bent downwards at racing speeds to provide extra downforce?

I wonder how long they would have continued to get away with this latest one if Merc hadn’t shopped them to teacher.

Last edited:
Red Bull rear wing set to be banned with new FIA technical directive
Red Bull’s flexible rear wing was a hot topic during the Spanish Grand Prix weekend and it is now set to be outlawed with the FIA set to issue a technical directive banning the innovation. Multiple teams are thought to be exploiting a potential loophole in the rules that allows the rear wing to bend to generate less drag and a higher top speed. Such a device is now set to be outlawed via the introduction of an FIA technical directive that specifically targets teams exploiting the wing design in question.

Article 3.9 of the 2021 FIA F1 technical regulations covers bodywork flexibility and detail the rules and allowances for bodywork flex under reasonable loads of pressure and FIA tests. The FIA also has the right to re-examine parts that have passed prior deflection tests should suspicion arise that the parts in question are circumnavigating the rules: 3.9.9In order to ensure that the requirements of Article 3.8 are respected, the FIA reserves the right to introduce further load/deflection tests on any part of the bodywork which appears to be (or is suspected of), moving whilst the car is in motion.

From the French Grand Prix (June 21), flexible rear wings will no longer be within the 2021 rules and teams will need to have new designs fitted from that race onward. For the next three races though in Monaco, Azerbaijan and Turkey, Red Bull’s design can remain on the car while the Milton Keynes team develops a replacement part. During rear-facing onboard clips during the race weekend, the rear wing of the Red Bull appeared to flex at high speed, and it didn’t go unnoticed by their closest rivals. Championship leader Lewis Hamilton remarked in a post-qualifying interview with Sky Sports F1 that he’d spotted the device during the Saturday in Barcelona. “The Red Bulls are really fast on the straights,” he said. “They have this bendy wing on the back of their car which they put on today and they gained at least three tenths from this wing.”

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner insisted that the FIA was happy with the wing design and stressed that it had passed the necessary deflection tests that are supposed to prevent any excessive flex in bodywork. “Of course the cars are scrutineered thoroughly and there’s pull back tests, there’s all kinds of different tests it has to pass,” Horner explained. “The FIA are completely happy with the car, that it has passed all of those tests that are pretty stringent.” The team principal also suggested that Hamilton’s comments had been prompted by somebody else, pointing the finger in the direction of his rival counterpart. “It’s something that Toto has mentioned to me previously. I doubt it was Lewis’s opinion, it probably came from elsewhere.”

F1 to add second Austrian GP to 2021 calendar
Formula 1 looks set to add a second race in Austria to its constantly-evolving 2021 calendar. Baku promoter Arif Rahimov has ruled out suggestions that the race in Azerbaijan might swap places with Istanbul so that F1 can dodge the quarantine complications surrounding the Turkish GP. “There were negotiations, but in our case, the date of the race weekend is fixed,” he said, explaining that the date was planned around a key UEFA Euro 2020 football game. “We have no room for manoeuvre,” Rahimov insisted. “There is almost nothing we can do.”

It appears that F1’s ‘plan B’ is a second race at the Red Bull Ring a similar situation to last year when the Austrian circuit also hosted two grands prix. “What we reported on Wednesday morning should become official on Thursday,” the Austrian newspaper Osterreich reported. “Also in this Formula 1 season, two races will take place at the Red Bull Ring.”

The original Austrian GP was scheduled for July 4 this year. It is reported that the Red Bull Ring will now host another race one week earlier. Osterreich claims the French GP at Paul Ricard might as a result take place on June 20, one week earlier than scheduled, with the original Canada-Turkey race date of June 13 simply scratched from the calendar.

The Turkish Grand Prix has been cancelled just six weeks after it was put on the Formula 1 calendar and replaced by a second race in Austria.

Turkey was added to the F1 schedule on 11-13 June to replace the Canadian Grand Prix, which was cancelled because of travel restrictions in Canada.
But Turkey has now become unworkable after being put on the UK's travel red list of high-risk countries.

F1 will instead run a race at the Red Bull Ring on 25-27 June.

That date was originally scheduled for the French Grand Prix, which has now been moved a week earlier to 18-20 June.

The move means there will now be races on three consecutive weekends - the French Grand Prix at Paul Ricard, followed by the Styrian Grand Prix and then the Austrian Grand Prix, both at the same track.

F1 calls off Turkish GP in June, Austria gets another race
As mentioned above in post 898 and now confirmed by F1;
The Turkish Grand Prix scheduled for next month was called off Friday because of coronavirus travel restrictions and will be replaced by a second Formula One race in Austria. Travel restrictions in several countries where teams are based forced F1 organizers to take the June 13 race out of Istanbul. Instead, the French GP will move forward by one week to June 20 and Austria will get a second race just like it did last year. The Styrian GP on June 27 will be followed by the Austrian GP on July 4, with both races at the Red Bull Ring track in Spielberg.

“I want to thank the promoter and authorities in Turkey for all of their efforts in recent weeks and want to thank the promoters in France and Austria for their speed, flexibility and enthusiasm," F1 president Stefano Domenicali said. The Champions League final was also taken out of Istanbul this week and moved to Porto, Portugal.

Session times revealed for first race weekend with Sprint Qualifying at Silverstone
The first of three 2021 events with the brand-new Sprint Qualifying weekend format will be the British Grand Prix at Silverstone on July 16-18. The revised schedule will see Free Practice 1 and Qualifying on Friday, with Free Practice 2 and Sprint Qualifying on Saturday, and the Grand Prix itself on Sunday, as usual.
We can now reveal the time of each session at Silverstone. Here’s how it will play out for both the fans in the grandstands and those watching on TV.

British Grand Prix weekend schedule:
FRIDAY
FP1: 1430-1530
Qualifying: 1800-1900
SATURDAY
FP2: 1200-1300
Sprint Qualifying: 1630-1700
SUNDAY
Race: 1500
*all times local

Sprint Qualifying will be a race run over 100km and lasting around 25-30 minutes. It is designed to provide a short and fast-paced racing spectacle similar to a Twenty20 cricket match with drivers racing flat-out from start to finish without the need to pit.
Points will be awarded to the top three finishers, three for the winner down to one point for third. There won’t be a podium ceremony, as that honour will remain the privilege of the top three in Sunday’s Grand Prix, however the winner will get a trophy in Parc Ferme, presented in a similar manner to the tyre the pole-sitter currently from F1’s tyre supplier Pirelli after qualifying now. The finishing order of the race will define the grid for Sunday’s showpiece event the Grand Prix, where the traditional format will remain unchanged.

The drivers have been extremely positive about Sprint Qualifying, saying it will be 'intense' and that fans will see cars being 'pushed to the max'. Two further sprint qualifying race weekends will follow in 2021, with the second expected to be in Italy and the third at a flyaway event.

(this is not meant to replace Limejuice post with regard to race weekend times)

It looks like the qualifying, sprint, and race times will probably see very different track temperatures, given the different times of the day.

That'll be fun for the teams trying to get a handle on race tyre strategy.

Under sprint qualifying, do the teams still need to start the race on a particular tyre used in qualifying? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom