Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Evening Standard to record £10m loss

All the more puzzling how daily newspapers with a tenth of the circulation of the Standard (eg the Manchester Evening News) manage to keep churning out a daily newspaper. I think the MEN is only free on certain days so perhaps that explains it.

All the more puzzling how daily newspapers with a tenth of the circulation of the Standard (eg the Manchester Evening News) manage to keep churning out a daily newspaper. I think the MEN is only free on certain days so perhaps that explains it.
kept alive by the website, I'd imagine, like most print titles. and they're Reach plc I think so a big publishing group.

Yeah not surprised, also its pitch is not particularly in touch with London's general lean so it's not really helped itself

not really sure it ever was - main target market always seemed to be the middle class outer suburban / home counties commuters. plus the job adverts of course, although again they tended more (but not exclusively) towards central london office work - papers like the south london press were more use to most people...

Reach had 3-4 major redundancy rounds in late 22-23, so I suspect they're going to shut more and more titles

I think a lot more regional dailies will switch to weekly publication, I was looking at some ABC figures the other days, the Brighton Argus is now selling under 4,000 copies a day, that was around 32,000 about 20 years ago.

And, a lot of weekly papers will disappear, around here I expect that will start with the West Sussex Gazette, now selling just 275 copies a week, how on earth can that be making money?

Newsprint is sometimes really useful for practical things, and it used to be so easy to come by. I had some soaking wet trainers the other day - 'stuff some newspaper in them' suggested my partner, but there's been no newspaper in the house for about five years and jesus fucking christ the Guardian is like £3 now.

Newsprint is sometimes really useful for practical things, and it used to be so easy to come by. I had some soaking wet trainers the other day - 'stuff some newspaper in them' suggested my partner, but there's been no newspaper in the house for about five years and jesus fucking christ the Guardian is like £3 now.
We still have free sheet Metro in London, plus some free local papers. Maybe CITY AM is still going too. Always endless copies left over, worth stocking up!

The Brighton Argus puts out a free pick-up 'Worthing Argus' on Thursdays, it's shit, bugger all about Worthing, just Brighton stories lifted over from the daily version, but I tend to grab a dozen or so copies when in Asda, as it's useful for other stuff.

Used to see piles of Metros on buses and at stations round here but I've not noticed them so much recently. Suspect they are distributing a lot less because most don't get read.

Used to see piles of Metros on buses and at stations round here but I've not noticed them so much recently. Suspect they are distributing a lot less because most don't get read.
remember when metro was first started - discarded ones littered trains and stations everywhere. was disgusting on so many levels - the politics, the waste of recourses, the obvious marketing by littering, the mindless consumption, the i-don't-give-a-fuck-who-tidies-up-attitude it brought with it. I found it thoroughly depressing.

Funny to remember now, that there was that period (maybe about 20 years ago?) when newspapers got ridiculously fat, endless new supplements, so much to read, and still mostly rubbish.
Standard was getting on for 100 pages 30 years ago IIRC! Amazing for a daily paper. Yes lots of job ads etc, but also lots of articles TBF.

it wasn't murdoch, but it was always pretty solidly tory / anti labour / anti left. was part of the daily mail group until they flogged it off and it got bought by that russian mate of that twat johnson.
It had Victor Lewis-Smith, though. I bought it just for his column.

They're discontinuing the daily edition and it'll now be weekly.

No loss, I only read it if I see a link anywho. Never read papers on the tube/train anymore - there was a time when I bought papers - I bought the ES 5 days a week, bought other newspapers too, bought TimeOut every week .

Back
Top Bottom