Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Evening Standard to record £10m loss

saw a discarded ES on the train today - felt like a quarter of its usual pagination

front page was all about how Boris should go on a tube to prove to everyone that its safe to go back to work in London - naked self interest as the collapse in commuters means the collapse in ES advertising and the hopeful collapse of the ES.

I saw my first ES since March ,yesterday. Didn't pick one up , just saw a pile of them outside Barbican Tube . Haven't read it in years, ironically when it was a paid for paper, I'd buy it 3/4 times a week :D

I saw my first ES since March ,yesterday. Didn't pick one up , just saw a pile of them outside Barbican Tube . Haven't read it in years, ironically when it was a paid for paper, I'd buy it 3/4 times a week :D
Victor Lewis Smith every day. :thumbs:

I agree, it was better when it was paid for. Not that I ever paid for it. That was why it felt so good when I'd find one on the tube as opposed to the Metro.

BUMP
How hasn't the Standard collapsed yet?
Would be curious to know how bad its done through Covid
Anyone know how t find these things?
cupid_stunt

The latest Audit Bureau of Circulations figures, give them just under 500k circulation in Sept. 2021, can't seem to check pervious figures any longer on the ABC site, I know it used to be around 800k, I am sure it was a lot lower during lockdowns, they seem to have maintained that lower figure during lockdowns by doing more home deliveries.

Oh, this report confirms that ^^^, with an increases in losses.

The Standard reduced its print distribution from 800,000 copies a day to roughly 500,000, delivering about half of that to homes to maintain reach and visibility among Londoners. The ES Magazine temporarily stopped production.

It made a pre-tax loss of £17m in 2019/20, 26% worse than its £13.6m loss in 2018/19.

I assume their losses for both 2020/21 & 2021/22 will be even worst, because of an general decrease in the overall volume of advertising, and increase in home delivery costs.

Although, they will save on printing costs, but what space they have sold will be at lower rates to reflect both the decreased circulation, and the increase in home deliveries - people actually picking up copies are considered more engaged & therefore more valuable to advertisers, compared to those that just have it dumped on their doormat.

They seem to have a distribution deal with a couple of the supermarkets, I never see anyone take one though and the pile of them always looks pretty full even towards closing time.

They seem to have a distribution deal with a couple of the supermarkets, I never see anyone take one though and the pile of them always looks pretty full even towards closing time.
yeah ive never seen less people take them - never see anyone reading it on the train anymore

That will be a deal with Self Select Distribution, who has an exclusive arrangement to distribute free publications in most the big supermarkets, I've had dealings with them before, they are a accredited distributor by ABC, and provided decent feedback to publishers, managed stock levels per site, and provided audited figures for ABC.

So, I am surprised they leave piles of the ES behind even at closing times, as they have the cost of the disposal, but OTOH I believe they were taken over by the Newsquest, so it wouldn't surprise if standards have gone tits-up.

Last time I saw a copy of the rag there was hardly any original content in it and not even a lot of adverts. Thin gruel indeed. Can't see the point of it any more and can't see it lasting.

So, I am surprised they leave piles of the ES behind even at closing times, as they have the cost of the disposal, but OTOH I believe they were taken over by the Newsquest, so it wouldn't surprise if standards have gone tits-up.

or is it that the person who brings one day's papers takes back what's left of yesterday's for disposal / recycling, rather than the supermarket staff dealing with them? - it's not like the shop need to account for how many sold / unsold

now i'm working in central london again, i see them on trolley things so you can pick one up - there aren't the people handing them out that there were before teh plague, so that's some of their costs gone...

I pick one up at TCR nearly every day (there's still someone handing them out there); trying to get all the puzzles in the back done on the train before I get home has been a prime mover in my "disconnecting from work" ritual ever since they went freebie ten years ago or so. It was lack of a replacement for this ritual that was a factor in me dealing so badly with working from home.

The contents of the paper itself have been largely bilge for years though. It's waffer-thin these days and I also can't see it lasting much longer. I'm going to become one of those weirdos who buys puzzle books :|

I pick one up at TCR nearly every day (there's still someone handing them out there); trying to get all the puzzles in the back done on the train before I get home has been a prime mover in my "disconnecting from work" ritual ever since they went freebie ten years ago or so. It was lack of a replacement for this ritual that was a factor in me dealing so badly with working from home.

The contents of the paper itself have been largely bilge for years though. It's waffer-thin these days and I also can't see it lasting much longer. I'm going to become one of those weirdos who buys puzzle books :|
I think metro has some puzzles? thats become a rare sight too

or is it that the person who brings one day's papers takes back what's left of yesterday's for disposal / recycling, rather than the supermarket staff dealing with them? - it's not like the shop need to account for how many sold / unsold

Yeah, I meant Self Select Distribution has to dispose of 'returns', hence they used to manage copies going into outlets, to keep waste to a absolute minimum. Plus provide figures to the publishers & Audit Bureau of Circulation, showing numbers delivered, numbers picked-up by people, and number of returns.

They were very good at that, when they were independent, but they seem to have been taken over by the giant Newquest. 🤷‍♂️

The content is pretty much the same for all "papers" these days, what there is of it, it's all centrally produced crap stories about cosmetic surgery that went wrong or someones dancing pet. The bulk of content is
probably centrally produced puzzles and adverts.

Back
Top Bottom