Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

EU watch

He didn't say EU nations should be competing as one entity, the Telegraph just framed it that way to give its readers some jollies - they know their audience well. :D

But I wouldn't be surprised if Hong Kong is no longer competing as a separate entity in 2024, especially if the US manages to pip China to the top of the medals table this year.

No, he said all athletes who happen to compete for nations that are members of the European Union should have an EU flag on their outfits as well as a national one. The Olympics have already told him to get fucked on his bullshit previously. Plus he looks like a total sex case.

ATHENS, Aug 20 (Reuters) - Greece said on Friday it had completed a 40-km fence on its border with Turkey and a new surveillance system was in place to stop possible asylum seekers from trying to reach Europe following the Taliban's takeover of Afghanistan.

Events in Afghanistan have fuelled fears in the European Union of a repeat of the 2015 refugee crisis, when nearly a million people fleeing war and poverty in the Middle East and beyond crossed to Greece from Turkey before travelling north to wealthier states.

ATHENS, Aug 20 (Reuters) - Greece said on Friday it had completed a 40-km fence on its border with Turkey and a new surveillance system was in place to stop possible asylum seekers from trying to reach Europe following the Taliban's takeover of Afghanistan.

Events in Afghanistan have fuelled fears in the European Union of a repeat of the 2015 refugee crisis, when nearly a million people fleeing war and poverty in the Middle East and beyond crossed to Greece from Turkey before travelling north to wealthier states.
Is this the result of the EU imposing its will on EU states, or EU states driving the policy of the EU?
Based on the state responses to 2015 crisis where states refused to co-operate with the EU plan of refugee quotas I think its the former.
Symbiotic i guess ultimately

Last edited:
Is this the result of the EU imposing its will on EU states, or EU states driving the policy of the EU?
Based on the state responses to 2015 crisis where states refused to co-operate with the EU plan of refugee quotas I think its the former.
Symbiotic i guess ultimately

Probably a bit of both. The EU's direction on this has been clear for some years now, guess that seeps in to national government mentality at some point. Either way it is not good news for those fleeing Afghanistan.

so much for operation enduring freedom freedom's sentinel

Good news for the EU project. America’s withdrawal from Afghanistan means there could be space for an EU “intervention force” , more delusions of grandeur from Brussels
Looks at first glance like this is Borrell using the Afghan situation as an opportunity to push an existing idea and maybe do a bit of bureaucratic empire building for himself.

Does anyone really think that a dedicated EU expeditionary force would have made the slightest difference to the emergency evacuation?

Looks at first glance like this is Borrell using the Afghan situation as an opportunity to push an existing idea and maybe do a bit of bureaucratic empire building for himself.

Does anyone really think that a dedicated EU expeditionary force would have made the slightest difference to the emergency evacuation?
Yes, it would have made things worse

Back
Top Bottom