Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

Well, I look forward to reading an actual proposal for "pedestrianising" every road within the M25 whilst still allowing London to function. I suppose if "pedestriansing" simply means banning motor scooters or something, it might be a good idea.

I would have thought that London might be amenable to the addition of pedestrianized areas in much the same way as other cities have been. For example Norwich, where the centre is pedestrianised, but not the entire 36 square miles within the outer ring road.

London even has multiple urban centres, which should allow various pedestrianisation schemes to be rolled out, but, like other cities, without rendering the entire city untravelable as a blanket intra-M25 scheme would do.
Good point - traders do need access to Dixons.

Just the price we have to pay sadly to not live in North Korea 🤷
I think it’s a problem which can be fixed by simply taking away the idiots’ driving licences. Which is hopefully what will happen in this case.

The fact there are some awful drivers isn’t a justification for banning cars.

I think it’s a problem which can be fixed by simply taking away the idiots’ driving licences. Which is hopefully what will happen in this case.

The fact there are some awful drivers isn’t a justification for banning cars.
What you posted happened with the rules as they are now. If you don’t want to change anything they you’re saying you’re okay with that happening so that we can allow unfettered access to cars in out city centres.

If there had been more traffic on that road, they wouldn’t have been able to pull off that manoeuvre.…
I know you’re joking but there are tons of pro car nuts that claim, with a straight face, that traffic makes roads safer and so we shouldn’t have LTNs 🤪

The car pulling away and the reveal of it flipped over reminded me of old tv shows where helicopters would go behind a hill before exploding.

I mean they're awful at driving. I assure you I'm very good at walking and have never killed anyone whilst out for a walk.
There’s always that first time which might catch you out. The glint of platinum coloured hair in the sunlight…. That giveaway jangle of car keys in his pocket, and suddenly you lose it….

The Saudi Royal family trounces all the anti-car folks on this thread with this glossy piece of anti-car propaganda

A glass strip-city in the desert made with the diverted profits of the post-pandemic oil price shock:

"The Line's infrastructure makes it possible to travel end-to-end in 20 minutes, with no need for cars"

The Saudi Royal family trounces all the anti-car folks on this thread with this glossy piece of anti-car propaganda

A glass strip-city in the desert made with the diverted profits of the post-pandemic oil price shock:

"The Line's infrastructure makes it possible to travel end-to-end in 20 minutes, with no need for cars"

They like their grand projects over there. Spunking away the oil money on everything except helping their own citizens have human rights.

What's your opinion - do you decline to have one because it's too far from your location and therefore you do not have the will to obtain the traffic data needed to make your characteristically fully objective analysis?

What's your opinion - do you decline to have one because it's too far from your location and therefore you do not have the will to obtain the traffic data needed to make your characteristically fully objective analysis?

I‘m generally against obviously unsustainable vanity projects promoted by murderous theocratic despots, no traffic data needed.

It’s no surprise that you appear interested in the idea however.

I mean they're awful at driving. I assure you I'm very good at walking and have never killed anyone whilst out for a walk.
The overwhelming majority of drivers will spend their entire driving lives without causing a major accident to themselves or others. So whereas there might be an argument for many or most drivers being crap or careless about certain minor aspects of driving such as parking skills, which is about as dangerous as drinking a glass of water, most drivers are anything but awful at the aspects of driving that matter the most. If most drivers were awful, there would be 300,000 deaths a year in the UK instead of 3,000.

On the other hand the overwhelming majority of pedestrians are indescribably fucking incompetent, useless, careless and lacking even the most basic notions of self-awareness and self-preservation when out and about. It is in fact only thanks to the diligent actions of the great majority of people operating vehicles of all types that a hundred thousand peds don't get seriously hurt or killed every year.

The overwhelming majority of drivers will spend their entire driving lives without causing a major accident to themselves or others. So whereas there might be an argument for many or most drivers being crap or careless about certain minor aspects of driving such as parking skills, which is about as dangerous as drinking a glass of water, most drivers are anything but awful at the aspects of driving that matter the most. If most drivers were awful, there would be 300,000 deaths a year in the UK instead of 3,000.

On the other hand the overwhelming majority of pedestrians are indescribably fucking incompetent, useless, careless and lacking even the most basic notions of self-awareness and self-preservation when out and about. It is in fact only thanks to the diligent actions of the great majority of people operating vehicles of all types that a hundred thousand peds don't get seriously hurt or killed every year.
Thanks for once again outlining some of the background thinking and beliefs that apply when you refer to "reasonable compromise".

Can you be a bit more specific about why this is "unsustainable" please?

It would be literally on life-support from day one, and require deleterious social, economic and environmental impacts in order to build and sustain it. Some carbon offsets and no cars does not make a settlement sustainable.

Yay! Only 3,000 deaths a year!! Aren’t we great.

Back
Top Bottom