Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England vs Panama (Group G) - 13:00 - 24/06/2018

Badgers

Mr Big Shrimp!
R.I.P.
Little bit early this thread but I do like a bit of wild speculation and score predictions :D

Dele Alli has a minor thigh strain so might be rested or on the bench. Was pretty obvious in the last match he was not playing at his best and probably should have been subbed off earlier than 80 mins :hmm: One positive from this was how well Loftus-Cheek played in the short time he had.

Think that Rashford should really start over Sterling. The downside could be that it really knocks Sterling's confidence and the hope is that he clicks :hmm:

Any other changes?

Rose for Young?

I thought Young did OK and he looks important from a set piece perspective but I Rose is the better defender and I'd like to see him starting.
Think they are both decent. Starting Rose against Panama would give them both a run out against 'easier' opposition :thumbs:

Yup. If he finds the form and goals we know he can produce for England he could make a difference alongside Kane. Just seems a shame to have Loftus-Cheek sitting on the sideline while Sterling has another 'chance to get going :hmm:
I would give them a half each, starting with Sterling though.

I'd be tempted to start with Rashford - for Sterling or Lingard. Could Sterling be put on the wing?

Great as he was when he came on, I'd keep RLC on the bench. It's a very tasty-looking bench. If England are struggling and need to change things, he could get an extended run-out second half. If England are winning comfortably, he could get an extended run-out second half.

I'd be reluctant to change too much from the team that started so well v Tunisia, but I'd also be quite pleased to see Rashford starting.

Rose in for Young, keep Sterling in the starting line up but get Rashford on earlier than the Tunisia game (half time / 60th minute).

Loftus-Cheek stays on the bench, he's better as an impact sub dribbling at tired defences. Maybe give Vardy a run out if the game stretches, as I think he'll be needed against Belgium.

Otherwise nothing should hopefully change, except some better finishing.

It'll be interesting to see how Panama approach this game. Tunisia were very negative but they can at least be forgiven because it was the opening game. Given this WC has gone back to goal difference rather than head to head Panama's gubbing from Belgium has rather screwed them.

You'd think if they want to qualify they've got to win their last two matches. I just get the feeling through in their first WC they'd be happy just doing OK. So I reckon they'll sit deep and just hope to grab a breakaway goal but will settle for a draw, hopefully beat Tunisia in the last game and leave with their head held high.

Vardy's useful for a specific scenario, isn't he - a stretched game against a decent team with both teams going for the win, where he can try to get behind the defence. Not sure how to shoehorn him in against Panama.

This is why we shouldn't have strikers as captain. You're more likely to change up your attacking options but it's harder to sub or even drop a captain.

Vardy would be better than Kane against the Belgians where we are less likely to spend the majority of the game attacking while the oppo park the bus.

I agree that we shouldn't drop Sterling because if he clicks, he'll go on to have a great tournament but if we drop him now, that's it.

Should be a win for England though. 3-0.

Rightly or wrongly Kane is England's superstar. Vardy will be respected but not feared in the same way Kane will be. Tunisia set out to do a job on him and they slipped up and left him free twice and they lost the game.

Barring injury, suspension or England winning easily there is no way Kane won't be on the pitch, that is why he was made captain. Goals win you matches and because we may only get one chance against good teams you need your main man on there.

ETA: What is a massive shame (so far) is that a defence getting preoccupied with Kane should open chances for the rest of them, but the rest of them couldn't hit cow's arse with a banjo.

ETA: What is a massive shame (so far) is that a defence getting preoccupied with Kane should open chances for the rest of them, but the rest of them couldn't hit cow's arse with a banjo.

This.

Kane is going to be targeted every match, and by better / smarter defenders too, the rest of the team need to take advantage.

This.

Kane is going to be targeted every match, and by better / smarter defenders too, the rest of the team need to take advantage.
This seems obvious, but didn't exactly work out well for the likes of Aguero and di Maria either :hmm: :confused:

Raheem Stirling looks exactly like the Rahem Stirling we saw at the Euros 2 years ago - repeatedly running at pace with the ball into nowhere and giving the ball away. Rashford is in form and looked far more dangerous when he came on. This should be Stirlings last chance to start - but i seriously doubt he is suddenly going to come good for england.
I was not impressed with Ashley Young - would much rather see Danny Rose in that position. You would get more crosses in seeing as hes left footed, and hes faster.
Panama will almost certainly play super defensive - but everything suggests they are not as good as tunisia (who i think were a bit underrated - they did some mighty defending on monday - some it was legal as well)

The idea of Rashford as a no. 10 (from the last friendly) would be interesting, though I don't think they'll try it at the WC. Probably be sterling being useless for 60 mins, followed by rashford charging around like a blue arsed fly trying to make an impact. Same time - curses things - they really should piss on Panama, shouldn't they?

The idea of Rashford as a no. 10 (from the last friendly) would be interesting, though I don't think they'll try it at the WC. Probably be sterling being useless for 60 mins, followed by rashford charging around like a blue arsed fly trying to make an impact. Same time - curses things - they really should piss on Panama, shouldn't they?

The Swiss beat Panama 6-0 fairly recently, so you'd like to think we shouldn't struggle *touch wood*

In fact, looking at their 'good' results, few and far between against very average sides...

Grenada 0 - 5 Panama
Wales 1 - 1 Panama
Trinidad and Tobago 0 - 1 Panama
Panama 0 - 0 Northern Ireland

runs away quickly

Indeed! Early tournament nerves most likely :hmm: It seems stupid to consider starting [Dele] against Panama when Loftus-Cheek can take at least the first half.

I don't get the point of pushing an injury when qualification can be won as early as Sunday. If it was Kane would GS risk ruining his tournament while Vardy is waiting on the bench.

Will see what the medics do eh?
Smart money does seem to be on Dele being rested against Panama. Doesn't risk his injury, and gives someone else some more tournament experience, which could well prove vital in this tournament as well as future ones.

We obviously want to win this game and secure qualification with a game to go, but you've also got to think of tournament management.

Rashford for Alli if he's not fit. Extra goal threat, plus Sterling gets to play in his City position of inside forward rather than as a second striker.

RLC for Lingard if that line-up is a bit too attacking, to be the link between midfield and attack.

Rose for Young because Young is shite.

Back
Top Bottom