Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Elden ring

I just found the world too depressing in Bloodborne.

Currently playing Kingdoms Of Avalur on the PS3. Much more jaunty. :)
It is certainly depressing. I got as far as Rom the Vacuous Spider and gave up because it was the most frustrating boss fight. Took ages to get past the Shadows of Yharnam becaise of the long walk to the boss fight. Something I HATE about these games. Put a fucking save point in and stop pretending you're edgy designer man!

It is certainly depressing. I got as far as Rom the Vacuous Spider and gave up because it was the most frustrating boss fight. Took ages to get past the Shadows of Yharnam becaise of the long walk to the boss fight. Something I HATE about these games. Put a fucking save point in and stop pretending you're edgy designer man!

Hardcore hardcore git gud yada yada yada.
;)

Yeah, that was annoying. Not sure how far I got - def past Rom but don’t want to describe further in case of spoilers.

Avalur is nice relaxed fun with some pantoish humour at times and a nicely off-kilter story.

Bit too much loot, though.

Hardcore hardcore git gud yada yada yada.
;)

Yeah, that was annoying. Not sure how far I got - def past Rom but don’t want to describe further in case of spoilers.

Avalur is nice relaxed fun with some pantoish humour at times and a nicely off-kilter story.

Bit too much loot, though.
I played the original Amalur and thought it was fun, not enough to want to play again. But perfectly enjoyable

I played the original Amalur and thought it was fun, not enough to want to play again. But perfectly enjoyable

I just picked it up after putting it down for something else a few years ago.
Maybe I’m more forgiving with it being an older game now.
Has its faults but the world building and combat are great.

I've never played a FromSoft game before, but I'm enjoying ER now that I'm an Astrologer and not a melee class. 24 hours in now though, level 45 and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do next. I've defeated Margit and Godrick, explored most of Limgrave/Stormgrave and a bit of Caelid and Liurnia, and beaten many other Limgrave bosses (mostly dungeon ones, can't do the dude behind the castle in the far south and haven't even attempted the dragon in the lake).

But now I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do or where I'm supposed to go next. I can one-shot everything in Limgrave, but the mobs in Caelid and Liurnia seem too powerful, it takes like 10 hits to kill them instead of 2 or 3, so I think I'm underpowered, but if not there then where else should I be going? I don't seem to have picked up too many quests either, I did the Castle Morne one and the other castle in the south, but that's about it.

Also I never seem to pick up armor pieces that are any better than my starting Astrologer gear. I'm still using the Meteorite Staff, should I be replacing that with something that can be upgraded yet?

I've never played a FromSoft game before, but I'm enjoying ER now that I'm an Astrologer and not a melee class. 24 hours in now though, level 45 and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do next. I've defeated Margit and Godrick, explored most of Limgrave/Stormgrave and a bit of Caelid and Liurnia, and beaten many other Limgrave bosses (mostly dungeon ones, can't do the dude behind the castle in the far south and haven't even attempted the dragon in the lake).

But now I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do or where I'm supposed to go next. I can one-shot everything in Limgrave, but the mobs in Caelid and Liurnia seem too powerful, it takes like 10 hits to kill them instead of 2 or 3, so I think I'm underpowered, but if not there then where else should I be going? I don't seem to have picked up too many quests either, I did the Castle Morne one and the other castle in the south, but that's about it.

Also I never seem to pick up armor pieces that are any better than my starting Astrologer gear. I'm still using the Meteorite Staff, should I be replacing that with something that can be upgraded yet?

Have you been to the Weeping Peninsula? South-East from Limgrave - they shoot at you from the bridge but you can leg it past. It's a fairly substantial area and is good at about that sort of level I think.

I think 'the dude behind the castle in the far south' is probably the Leonine Misbegotten so that is the weeping peninsula fairly well explored.

(Just saw castle morne was actually mentioned in the post. )

This is the section where things really open up.
I'm not sure I have a good answer for this one.

Astrologer? In a game where the monsters are fucking deadly, you're going to....Jonathan Cainer their shit to death?

Curious. I played as a wizard and it was a touch boring, no real engagement (which is why I chose it), but I gave up at the sorcerer woman in the Acadamy because she broke my brain.

Would like to retry but I don't see this going on sale anytime soon :D

Astrologer? In a game where the monsters are fucking deadly, you're going to....Jonathan Cainer their shit to death?

Curious. I played as a wizard and it was a touch boring, no real engagement (which is why I chose it), but I gave up at the sorcerer woman in the Acadamy because she broke my brain.
Astrologer is the wizard/mage class. :D My first attempt was as melee, but I think I'm just too old and impatient to enjoy the twitchy reactions needed to avoid endless deaths every time you get close to a boss. Throwing rocks at them from a long way away is just as much fun.

Astrologer is the wizard/mage class. :D My first attempt was as melee, but I think I'm just too old and impatient to enjoy the twitchy reactions needed to avoid endless deaths every time you get close to a boss. Throwing rocks at them from a long way away is just as much fun.
Oh

Well that'll be why I failed. My spells were in retrograde :D

And that's exactly why I chose wizard. But it did get a bit boring.

Yes, done a fair bit of that - it's part of Limgrave, at least according to the map.
Have you gone to the end of the lakes of Lurnia to where the 'Spiderhands' are? Carry on through there and there's a boss, get past that than it opens up to an area which starts one of the major side quests...

Have you gone to the end of the lakes of Lurnia to where the 'Spiderhands' are? Carry on through there and there's a boss, get past that than it opens up to an area which starts one of the major side quests...
No, only uncovered the bottom half of the map. I reached some sort of city place with ghostly wizards in, but they all one-shot me while I could barely make a dent in them so I figured I wasn't supposed to be there yet.

A recent update did introduce coliseums where you can fight other players, you can also invade other players games and fight them.

Finally completed this today.

Hot take - it was pretty easy, well most of it was.
Another hot take - despite what everyone says magic is NOT the easy mode!

My first play through was a magic one and really struggled at times and it was abandandand when I got ill and had found myself hitting roadblocks when I tired to progress and just couldn't be bothered anymore.

Since then I have played around a bit mostly with magic and found some things easy but overall pretty challenging.

This time I went in with no plan and just found myself using the bloodhound's Fang and a decent spirt summon. And everything melted before me. Seriously, most of the game was pretty easy with most bosses going down 1 or 2nd time. There were some every types and encounters that gave me issues, but not many.

Until the very last boss where I suddenly found myself struggling for the first time. Not sure how many tried it took as wasn't counting but over 10 maybe heading towards 20.

But finally it went down. And so after 66 hours 22 minutes (on this save file) I finally got the credits.

Last edited:

I got there at, like, Level 10 or something equally shit and I did ok for about 2 minutes until something smeared me across the map without pausing.

good news day (well, good news night ..... )

I defeated Maliketh, The Black Blade last night. It took many many attempts. I tried different builds, and leveled different weapons, different spells and different combos. Googled different strategies. All to no noticeable avail. In the end I enlisted the help of 2 online (random) players and even then it took 6 attempts. So to those two legends, who hung around for each summon (after I dies - it was always me that died first!) I say thank you!

Back
Top Bottom