Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

EDL watch

Haha. I remember it. The Hind in Leicester near the train station. Freezing day but a good turnout. The Baby Squad came into the Pub thinking it would be just a few SWP paper sellers and Trade Union types.

Memorable quote of the day: "Where's these fucking IRA lovers?"

Reply: "We're still here mate".

I seem to recall them trying to rapidly exit the front doors as a number of the London crowd came barging back in after spotting the half-wit hooligans acting shady in the street. Also a certain Notts AFA member hammering one of them slumped against a pedestrian railing with a bar stool.

As Fighting Talk would say..."A classic AFA pincer movement."
That's the one pal ;) It was me who informed the poor lad that we were still there ! Acting shady the poor daft fuckers were throwing snowballs at the pub ha ha !!

On a serious note it goes to show that tactics haven't changed much and fash mobs even in the guise of the EDL nowadays will always front up when they feel they are faced with "easy pickings".

They're not tho are they. As an organisation the have a pretty clear political message: anti Muslim immigration, extremism and in general. So 'politically useless' that theyve been more attractive to working class people than the far-left.

I don't want to get into occupy but it certainly has a much less clear political message. They're just liberals' camping. What do they stand for? Anti-capitalism? Anti-bad capitalism? They produce no solution, no ideas.

I think those still camping have less of an idea what their purpose is than the muslamic rayguns chap. He knows he's marching against muslims and immigration with an organisation which is doing the same. More than can be said about the campers and Occupy.

Though I agree that "the left" has not made much traction under these circs, and the EDL have made some (or at least did make some, they have pretty much stalled overall) - It's not that fair a comparison. The EDL are against stuff, a relative doddle to constructing an alternative programme and strategy. The people camping do have a programme related to humanity. They also have more people participating and (probably) sympathetic than the EDL (I say probably, because I think a lot were sympathetic to the EDL in the early months before getting alienated by thugs, drunks and fascists). Occupy have impacted national debate more in a shorter period of time. This is regardless of the holes we could easily pick in them. I think too many have scoffed and sneered at Occupy, people who so often seem to think they know better without having had that much success with their own agenda and strategy either.

You appear to be replying to an imaginary post where he's saying that the EDL have a subtle, nuanced, sophisticated political message. In reality he's actually saying that they have a consistent and clear one. And he's right. Conversely, he's saying that occupy is incoherent and he's right about that too (and I'd add to that the fact that it's becoming increasingly pointless, something only those within the occupy bubble even care about).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/p00mzctl

The EDL and the UAF could be marching through Leicester on 4th Feb. We hear your reaction.

35 mins in you can listen to Jeff Marsh init.

Tommy Robinson was booked by BBC Radio Leicester to be interviewed for this programme. He bottled it and didn't answer his phone when the producer rang back and now Leicester EDL are claiming that the BBC had lied, and had never actually booked Robinson at all.

Marxist BBC anyone?

john x

Marxist BBC anyone?

john x

I did a written complaint when cokeboy got an interview on Newsnight for his group being associated with mass murder in Norway. No reply. I asked if there was policy on how many people have to die before a representitive of an ideology get a spot. I wasn't actually joking. I noted that the financial crisis and failure of politicians to deal with it made the anarchist and other anti capitalist cases seemingly more credible. But there is never an anarchist on Newsnight to my knowledge. So I asked them if the real issue was that anarchists hadn't killed enough people to get their spot.

Some people say Cokeboy made a tit of himself anyway, but I think Paxman let him get away with some ludicrous stuff, and the fans aint going to be bothered by detail. It's a capitulation by ignorant journalists. They still don't seem to know that the EDL is riddled with nazis, fascists and criminals. It's a sheer dereliction of professional duty. I haven't heard the Marsh interview, not sure I want to. But I doubt due diligence was done on his suitability as a guest.

I know. It's funny as fuck. Less :confused: More :D

It makes for a nice picture though doesn't it? It's pitched about the level of analysis they expect from their voter, or maybe somewhat above it. Also it feeds more into a right than a left narrative. Some of the best BNP propaganda at the last Euros was anti banker. Not sure the splitters have that one figured out yet. In fact, I think in their early principles there was a bit of bank bashing. It's gone now. Perhaps they know which side they're on after all.

1. lynette112 January 25, 2012

Concise, and outlining points which no right minded British person could disagree with. And very important, not in 50 different languages. Need I say more. Well done.
john x

Done, thanks for the heads up :)

The link is still there :) In the new XF software it doesn't matter if you edit the text because the link is still complete behind the text - you need to hit the broken chain icon in the reply box to remove the link, or hit the chain icon and break the link in there.

edit: the link is also in Red Storm's post where s/he quoted the link

Back
Top Bottom